Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Southern Mexico

stevoH

Aug 21, 2016, 4:16 PM

Post #1 of 4 (10640 views)

Shortcut

Moving Personal Items by airline. ??????????????

Can't Post | Private Reply
So, I have been living in Playa del Carmen for over a year. I have a permanent resident card, inapam, curp etc. I am going to back to the states next month, and will be packing up to 7 boxes under 50 pounds of some essentials that I really miss. I did not bring much with me to begin with and I missed the 6 month window to brings things down duty free.
So I am paying extra luggage fees with Frontier to bring some cookwear, Knives, Cuisinart, Crock Pot, some other electronic stuff, mostly kitchen, some books odds n ends etc.
I am concerned about the Manaje al Casa, if I need to fill it out. Just about everything I have is used (not new in the box) and I am assuming the value will be under the $3000 allowable limit.
Am I on the right track or am I missing something? Do I need to list everything by box on the official form in Spanish, have receipts available?
Has anyone else done this?
Need help and advice.

chinagringo

Aug 21, 2016, 5:10 PM

Post #2 of 4 (10628 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevoH] Moving Personal Items by airline. ??????????????

Back in the days when airlines really didn't have baggage limits, we used to bring all sorts of items on America West into Guadalajara. Never once had a list and never once had to pay a bit of duty. The few times that we got the dreaded "red light" at the airport, we simply said: for our casa and a majority of these items were brand new. We did the same at the border crossings when driving and they never wanted a list. I get the feeling that they know most people lie about the values on their lists?

Things have changed but you are still at the mercy of the particular customs officials and their moods on any given day.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

playaboy

Aug 23, 2016, 7:39 AM

Post #3 of 4 (10600 views)

Shortcut

Cancun airport "can" be strict on this.

You can bring up to $3000US without a broker but you must pay IVA on any amount over $500. Just make up a list of the items with their realistic values, add it up, subtract $500 and multiply by 16%. It doesn't have to be a formal Menje de Casa. It is better to be prepared and ready to pay, than get delayed.

Hopefully, Aduana will be very busy and just pass you thru quickly.

BTW, don't you owe me a beer?

YucaLandia

Aug 23, 2016, 8:06 PM

Post #4 of 4 (10579 views)

Shortcut

Playaboy is correct, your duty-free / tax-free limit is $500 per airline passenger.

Your thoughts on 'missing' 'the 6 month window' doefs not fit how Aduana treats 1,000's of Canadians and US-anians bringing trailerloads of household goods into Mexico every year.

The typical experience is that we get a brief spot inspection of our truck + trailer load of household goods, as they look for:
~ prohibited items
~ construction materials
~ commercial quantities of things (enough to start a small business)
~ too many toys
~ bales of clothing
~ multiple computers or lots of electronics
~ meat or fruit & veg etc

If you have your homemade Menaje de Casa (ignore all the other creative spellings above), with every box numbered and every item identified in that box, with the items named in Spanish, with good faith pricing (print out ebay pages to document pricing on unusual used items)...

Bring multiple copies of the ersatz Menaje de Casa list, to give one to Aduana to keep in their files. plus additional copies to show to militars at retenes (checkpoints) and to offer to border agents at state border crossings.

Literally 10,000's of us have been waved through Aduana at the border, as long as the box or 2 that they check match the Menaje de Casa list,

and yes, you do NOT submit your ersatz Menaje de Casa list to any Consulates for prior approval (because they follow the 6 month rule). Personal loads usually go through with no hassles (unlike loads brought in by formal licensed shipper).

More details at https://yucalandia.com/...s-rules-the-article/

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4