Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

jreboll

Aug 16, 2016, 5:28 AM

Post #1 of 12 (7521 views)

Shortcut

Paint

Can't Post | Private Reply
Well, it is time again to repaint my house. The color I have is white matte with some mildew areas. Now I would like a satin darker tone. I live about half an hour from Home Depot and I have a good selection of Mexican paint brands here in town. I have already done search of previous posts but would appreciate your opinions.

rvgringo

Aug 16, 2016, 8:49 AM

Post #2 of 12 (7514 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jreboll] Paint

In Chapala, we had very good results using Vinamex Satinizado from Comex. Good preparation is very important. The first coat was diluted with 10% water and the second coat was applied the next day without dilution. Most application was by roller.

jreboll

Aug 17, 2016, 4:34 AM

Post #3 of 12 (7498 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Paint

Thanks for the reply. I will be comparing prices next week.

sparks

Aug 17, 2016, 8:54 AM

Post #4 of 12 (7491 views)

Shortcut

I just use the store brand of a local place ...... but definitely semi-gloss

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

jreboll

Aug 17, 2016, 9:05 AM

Post #5 of 12 (7488 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Paint

I had heard paint was much more expensive in Mexico but looking at Home Depot Zamora web page shows prices comparable to US

rvgringo

Aug 17, 2016, 12:40 PM

Post #6 of 12 (7482 views)

Shortcut

In the long run, it costs more to use cheap paint.

chinagringo

Aug 18, 2016, 8:33 AM

Post #7 of 12 (7474 views)

Shortcut

But buying the cheapest paint keeps the economy going since you buy more often and employ more people repainting. WallyWorld has been a success playing off the repeat buying concept!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

jreboll

Aug 18, 2016, 9:36 AM

Post #8 of 12 (7471 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Paint

This time I am going for looks. This matte seems to attract grime and mildew. I want something that cleans up easily

rvgringo

Aug 18, 2016, 11:16 AM

Post #9 of 12 (7468 views)

Shortcut

If you have mildew or mold, you have other problems. Paint will not cure them. You might want to investigate the source of the moisture and/or lack of ventilation in those areas. If it is wicking up from below and includes salitre, you need to address those issues, the need for sealers and maybe re-plastering some treated areas before re-painting.

jreboll

Aug 18, 2016, 11:27 AM

Post #10 of 12 (7466 views)

Shortcut

The mildew is at the bottom where the rain splatters when it hits the sidewalk. Maybe I should apply Fester to the bottom 2 feet of the outside walls

rvgringo

Aug 18, 2016, 11:33 AM

Post #11 of 12 (7464 views)

Shortcut

That might help. Some folks tile the bottom few feet of such walls for that reason.

chinagringo

Aug 18, 2016, 7:51 PM

Post #12 of 12 (7455 views)

Shortcut

In Michoacan and a couple of other States, about the first four feet of the walls are painted with a gloss enamel in a dark color. Apparently, this started back in the days when streets were dirt and mud would splash up the walls. In Michoacan, I would describe the most popular combination being a deep dark red on the lower portion and white or some other light color on the upper wall.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4