Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

GodsGiftToMexico

Aug 13, 2016, 5:39 PM

Post #1 of 16 (5137 views)

Shortcut

What kind of dental coverage is available to permanent residents

Can't Post | Private Reply
I qualify for Mexico's permanent residency. In fact, I got an immigrado visa last December. It expired since (without me entering to Mexico to finalize the process), but I can get a new one if I want.

I need a dental implant. I got a quote here in the US for about $4,000, plus the cost of the crown (total of about $4,500). I got another quote in Tijuana for about $2,000, plus one abutement and cost of the crown (total of about $3,000).

If I get another immigrado visa, enter Mexico, and get whatever medical coverage is available to permanent residents, when will that take effect, and does that result in any (even partial) coverage for advanced dental procedures such as implants and crown ?

Speaking of which, I assume Ensenada and Mazatlan oral surgeons are cheaper than Tijuana. Any recommendation for a dentist or oral surgeon in or near one of those cities ?
-----------------------------------------------
God's Gift To Mexico
http://PuntaBanda.org

AlanMexicali

Aug 13, 2016, 9:22 PM

Post #2 of 16 (5113 views)

Shortcut

Re: [GodsGiftToMexico] What kind of dental coverage is available to permanent residents

Here the Mexican socialized medicine dentists only do extractions, cleaning, not even deep cleaning, and fillings. I donīt know if they do root canals. It is for free for enrollees in the Seguro Popular or IMSS. No other way for what you want except private dentists and they call them restoration dentists or oral surgeons also do implants, not average dentists. 1 implant is about $25,000 pesos out the door or $1350 USD in Central Mexico for 1st. class implants. Takes weeks to complete and many visits.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Aug 13, 2016, 9:25 PM)

GodsGiftToMexico

Aug 13, 2016, 10:22 PM

Post #3 of 16 (5104 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] What kind of dental coverage is available to permanent residents

In Reply To
Here the Mexican socialized medicine dentists only do extractions, cleaning, not even deep cleaning, and fillings. I donīt know if they do root canals. It is for free for enrollees in the Seguro Popular or IMSS. No other way for what you want except private dentists and they call them restoration dentists or oral surgeons also do implants, not average dentists. 1 implant is about $25,000 pesos out the door or $1350 USD in Central Mexico for 1st. class implants. Takes weeks to complete and many visits.

Thanks Alan for the information. Any oral surgeon you would recommend in Central Mexico ? Ideally a city with direct Volaris flight from Tijuana.
God's Gift To Mexico

chinagringo

Aug 14, 2016, 7:37 PM

Post #4 of 16 (5038 views)

Shortcut

Re: [GodsGiftToMexico] What kind of dental coverage is available to permanent residents

Rhetorical Question: Is it about time for Mexico to reveal to the rest of the world just how successful they have been in funding medical coverages that not only provides for their citizens but also every foreigner who financially qualifies to become a Permanente Resident of Mexico without having paid into the system? Is there not a contradiction here where one has an adequate amount of income to qualify for residency but cannot afford private insurance to cover their basic needs?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

GodsGiftToMexico

Aug 14, 2016, 9:31 PM

Post #5 of 16 (5030 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] What kind of dental coverage is available to permanent residents

In Reply To
Rhetorical Question: Is it about time for Mexico to reveal to the rest of the world just how successful they have been in funding medical coverages that not only provides for their citizens but also every foreigner who financially qualifies to become a Permanente Resident of Mexico without having paid into the system? Is there not a contradiction here where one has an adequate amount of income to qualify for residency but cannot afford private insurance to cover their basic needs?

Speaking of which, are there private insurance companies in Mexico that negotiate rates with various service providers to get them to offer services to their members below what they normally charge ?

For example, in the US, the list price for my implant is over $10,000. But my insurance company (Delta Care) had negotiated lower rates which brought the price down to a little over $4,000, even though Delta Care won't pay a penny. That's one of the major benefits of having insurance in the US.

Are there similar companies in Mexico ?
God's Gift To Mexico

playaboy

Aug 15, 2016, 5:56 AM

Post #6 of 16 (5014 views)

Shortcut

I pay for private health insurance, Alliance, that includes dental. $1600US a year. That is like a month premium in the States. https://www.dentegra.com.mx/

I am sure they negotiate rates just like they do in the States.

AlanMexicali

Aug 15, 2016, 8:16 AM

Post #7 of 16 (4997 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] What kind of dental coverage is available to permanent residents

In Reply To
I pay for private health insurance, Alliance, that includes dental. $1600US a year. That is like a month premium in the States. https://www.dentegra.com.mx/

I am sure they negotiate rates just like they do in the States.

When you turn 63 and have a $9,000 peso co-pay per illness it will be $88,000 pesos [$4,850 USD] per year. Medical insurance in Mexico is not cheap for the elderly.

AlanMexicali

Aug 15, 2016, 8:26 AM

Post #8 of 16 (4995 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] What kind of dental coverage is available to permanent residents

In Reply To

If you buy anything in Mexico the 16% IVA tax is included. This tax along with income and capital gains taxes etc. residents pay when living here and even tourists pay when buying, renting, transportation, taxis, using services some goes toward socialized medicine funding. So if you donīt want to help fund socialized medicine stay away from spending money in Mexico is my advise.

Otherwise help fund socialzed medicine for all Mexican citizens and legal residents with a smile. We appreaciate you being here as much as we appreciate the fact that the Mexican Govenment supplies universal healthcare without prejudice to all who are here legally. There is no need to support medical insurance companies here if you donīt want to like in the USofA.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Aug 15, 2016, 8:41 AM)

playaboy

Aug 15, 2016, 11:00 AM

Post #9 of 16 (4975 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] What kind of dental coverage is available to permanent residents

I have been with Alliance for over 5 years. Luckily I am healthy and have never filed a claim. I like the fact that I can choose my Dr.'s and hospital when the need arises.

I deal with my health insurance on a yearly basis. Right now this is an affordable option for me. If at 63 the costs becomes to expensive, I can always go somewhere else.

drope

Aug 17, 2016, 10:19 AM

Post #10 of 16 (4889 views)

Shortcut

anybody that pays for dental insurance coverage in mexico was mentioned by p. t. barnum. why do you think dental vacations are such a big thing here? my dentist has had people come to her from as far away as the uk. my friend came to her in 2 trips @ 2 weeks each. 26 crowns including prep,3 root canals 2 extractions and a bridge. dental cost $3200 cdn. airfare and accommodation/food/entertainment $3000cdn. first 2 weeks at my place and next 2 weeks at a chapala apartment. that would have cost about $40,000cdn in toronto where he's from,just for the dental without the bonus 4 week vacation.

(This post was edited by drope on Aug 17, 2016, 1:18 PM)

addtocart

Aug 17, 2016, 10:40 AM

Post #11 of 16 (4887 views)

Shortcut

Re: [drope] What kind of dental coverage is available to permanent residents

Can't Post |

In Reply To
anybody that pays for dental insurance coverage in mexico was mentioned by p. t. barnum. why do you think dental vacations are such a big thing here? my dentist has had people come to her from as far away as the uk. my friend came to her in 2 trips @ 2 weeks each. 26 crowns including prep,3 root canals 2 extractions and a bridge. dental cost $3200 cdn. airfare and accommodation/food/entertainment $3000cdn. first 2 weeks at my place and next 2 weeks at a chapala apartment. that would have cost about $40,000cdn in toronto where he's from.

Some of us live in Mexico full time. The cost of something in toronto means nothing to us.

drope

Aug 17, 2016, 11:27 AM

Post #12 of 16 (4880 views)

Shortcut

Re: [addtocart] What kind of dental coverage is available to permanent residents

In Reply To

In Reply To
anybody that pays for dental insurance coverage in mexico was mentioned by p. t. barnum. why do you think dental vacations are such a big thing here? my dentist has had people come to her from as far away as the uk. my friend came to her in 2 trips @ 2 weeks each. 26 crowns including prep,3 root canals 2 extractions and a bridge. dental cost $3200 cdn. airfare and accommodation/food/entertainment $3000cdn. first 2 weeks at my place and next 2 weeks at a chapala apartment. that would have cost about $40,000cdn in toronto where he's from.

Some of us live in Mexico full time. The cost of something in toronto means nothing to us.

it means something to someone coming here from canada that asked about dental insurance. would you think it more helpful- a comparison of tijauna dentists to mexico city's dentists. i also live in mexico and it was my intent to help the op and by saying "us" do you represent a group that doesn't wish to be helpful to others that have such a question?

addtocart

Aug 17, 2016, 12:09 PM

Post #13 of 16 (4878 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |

ifyoucanttakeajoke

Aug 17, 2016, 12:20 PM

Post #14 of 16 (4875 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

it means something to someone coming here from canada that asked about dental insurance. would you think it more helpful- a comparison of tijauna dentists to mexico city's dentists. i also live in mexico and it was my intent to help the op and by saying "us" do you represent a group that doesn't wish to be helpful to others that have such a question?

playaboy

Aug 17, 2016, 3:44 PM

Post #15 of 16 (4853 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
anybody that pays for dental insurance coverage in mexico was mentioned by p. t. barnum. why do you think dental vacations are such a big thing here? my dentist has had people come to her from as far away as the uk. my friend came to her in 2 trips @ 2 weeks each. 26 crowns including prep,3 root canals 2 extractions and a bridge. dental cost $3200 cdn. airfare and accommodation/food/entertainment $3000cdn. first 2 weeks at my place and next 2 weeks at a chapala apartment. that would have cost about $40,000cdn in toronto where he's from,just for the dental without the bonus 4 week vacation.

I am the fool that pays 700 peso a year for my dental coverage. Look at the link above to see what is covered. Not bad for the money.

drope

Aug 17, 2016, 7:23 PM

Post #16 of 16 (4842 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] What kind of dental coverage is available to permanent residents

In Reply To

In Reply To

I am the fool that pays 700 peso a year for my dental coverage. Look at the link above to see what is covered. Not bad for the money.

what link? i paid $250 pesos for 2 extractions and $2500 pesos for upper dentures 5 years apart. i don't think anyone that lives here needs insurance-costs more than the actual work paid by cash as needed. by the way a thorough cleaning is only 250 pesos but i have 2 dentures so i don't need that anymore. you could get 3 cleanings a year almost for your 700 but who does that unless you have a thing for sitting in a dentist's chair. :)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4