Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Southern Mexico

indianajulia

Aug 3, 2016, 4:27 PM

Post #1 of 6 (15153 views)

Shortcut

Chiapas amber

Can't Post | Private Reply
Does anyone here have experience in obtaining amber from Chiapas (Simojovel)? If so, I would like to gather information and advice. Please private message me. Thank you!
www.thestarchildgallery.com

chicois8

Aug 3, 2016, 5:14 PM

Post #2 of 6 (15139 views)

Shortcut

Re: [indianajulia] Chiapas amber

Hola, I sent you a private message......
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

citlali

Sep 6, 2016, 4:54 PM

Post #3 of 6 (14900 views)

Shortcut

I deal with amber suppliers from Simojovel on a regular basis, are you looking for exactly? brut or cut and polished?
Simovel is organized into various trade association the largest one being the one fthat is headed by HernanTorres of the consejo del AMber. The workers are organized in small groups of 8 to 10 people and they all belong to an organization or another.
Recently the CHinese have been buying anything good paying higher prices than the local and they also are renting the mnes and have the mnors work for them so it is increasingly more difficult to get very good amber and the prices are raising. The Chinese started buying clear pale yellow amber, in pure spheres, now they are also buying the red and anything good..so you should go there if you want to buy good amber and be careful, the town is a boom town full of cartel arms drugs booth and drunks and prostitution. It is a lawless place. My friends who live there and deal in amber never tell anyone when they come or go as there are lots of assault on the road.
You also can find amber in Totolapa on the road between Tuxtla and Venustiano Carranza

citlali

Sep 6, 2016, 4:58 PM

Post #4 of 6 (14899 views)

Shortcut

By the way there is a large feria del amber in San Cristobal usually last week of JUly , first week in August where most of the people dealing with amber are represented. This year business was very bad because of the bloqueos so the organizations have asked the government to do another event but I have not heard yet when and where that will be.

JuanCha

Jul 8, 2017, 9:53 AM

Post #5 of 6 (4778 views)

Shortcut

Re: [citlali] Chiapas amber

This post-reply by Citali is right on target; anyone interested in this topic should pay attention. My neighbor in SCLC Chiapas (bilingual, bi-national - USA/Mex; a long time resident in Chiapas) was a wholesale, direct from mines, ambar (Mex spelling) dealer for many years. He quit that due to increasing Chinese buyer domination over the last few years; (he swtiched to wholesaling Chiapas coffee).
Unless one is interested in dealing direct from amber mines/supplier on an ongoing volume/wholsale basis (and even then, they should be savvy about that), they should just stick to major retail outlets in Chiapas - most of which are in or near San Cristobal de Las Casas.
JuanCha de: Santa Fe NM, San Cristobal de Las Casas Chiapas, San Diego CA

citlali

Jul 8, 2017, 10:05 AM

Post #6 of 6 (4775 views)

Shortcut

This year the amber feria was moved to Chiapa de Corzo and is going on right now...for the next couple of weeks on the plaza.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4