Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

PonyMex

Jul 25, 2016, 10:43 AM

Post #1 of 20 (8077 views)

Shortcut

Permanent Resident Visa Process in Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
My wife (US and Mexican citizen) and I (US citizen) decided to move to Mexico this year. Based on my research, I can apply for a permanent resident visa via my wife at a local Mexican consulate. Once I enter Mexico, I have to report to an INM office within 30 days.

Do I need to submit any supporting documents such as financial statements, a birth certificate, a marriage certificate, etc. at an INM office if I have a permanent resident visa on my passport?

YucaLandia

Jul 25, 2016, 11:48 AM

Post #2 of 20 (8072 views)

Shortcut

Re: [PonyMex] Permanent Resident Visa Process in Mexico

Be sure to read Vinculo Familiar rules, regarding Unidad de Familia.
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

YucaLandia

Jul 25, 2016, 11:51 AM

Post #3 of 20 (8068 views)

Shortcut

This web-link gives you information on what you are seeking"
https://yucalandia.com/...a Residente Temporal

I understand that you would have to first successfully complete 2 years of Residente Temporal status. If you have completed 2 years of temporary residence, then ...

there is the INM website on this:
http://www.inm.gob.mx/...VINCULO_FAMILIAR.pdf

Many foreigners with Mexican citizen family members find it easier to just enter Mexico on a normal Visitante visa (use the FMM), and then apply at their local INM office under the Vinculo Familiar program.

Note: Have you formally registered your marriage to your Mexican wife with your Mexican state's Registro Civil office?

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Jul 25, 2016, 11:56 AM)

PonyMex

Jul 26, 2016, 11:33 AM

Post #4 of 20 (8004 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Permanent Resident Visa Process in Mexico

Thank you for the link. I spent some time yesterday and got good information.

We registered our marriage in Mexico a few years ago and have our Acta de Matrimonio. Does a permanent resident visa require Acta de Matromonio?

We prefer to apply for a permanent resident visa at one of the Mexican consulates. We will drive down to Mexico and need to nationalize our car.

YucaLandia

Jul 26, 2016, 11:42 AM

Post #5 of 20 (8003 views)

Shortcut

I'm not sure on what proof of marriage specific document your local INM will want. In other others, I believe that each State Registro Civil office uses their own state-specific document. Ours wanted the proof of approval by the Yucatan State Registro Civil, which was a Certificado...
-
Read-on MacDuff

rvgringo

Jul 26, 2016, 2:08 PM

Post #6 of 20 (7988 views)

Shortcut

Nationalizing your car may be virtually impossible unless it is exactly the right age, a NAFTA manufactured vehicle and if you are willing to pay a few thousand dollars for the privilege....probably near the value of the vehicle itself. Better to buy a venicle in Mexico and be done with border hassles and transito targeting, etc.

PonyMex

Jul 26, 2016, 2:38 PM

Post #7 of 20 (7985 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Permanent Resident Visa Process in Mexico

That was our initial plan. But I called two brokers in Nogales today and found that it would cost somewhere around $2000. For this amount, we are willing to import our car to Mexico. We need to bring our dog and would rather drive down to Mexico.

addtocart

Jul 26, 2016, 2:43 PM

Post #8 of 20 (7983 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Search all the Mexico boards you can find for info on importing a car. Then make your choice. If you choose to import your car, take a deep breath and jump right in.

AlanMexicali

Jul 26, 2016, 4:23 PM

Post #9 of 20 (7974 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Thank you for the link. I spent some time yesterday and got good information.

We registered our marriage in Mexico a few years ago and have our Acta de Matrimonio. Does a permanent resident visa require Acta de Matromonio?

We prefer to apply for a permanent resident visa at one of the Mexican consulates. We will drive down to Mexico and need to nationalize our car.

If you want a Residente Permanente visa at a Mexican consulate you will need to prove financial solvency of about $2,000 USD deposits per month for 6 to 12 months or a substancial amout untouched or balance of about $100,000 USD for a year to qualify.

If you apply because you are married to a Mexican National you will not need to prove financial solvency but will only get a 1 or 4 year Residente Temporal visa from a Mexican Consulate or from a Mexican Immigration office in Mexico. After 2 years you can exchange the RT for a Residente Permanente visa/card.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Jul 26, 2016, 4:25 PM)

PonyMex

Jul 26, 2016, 7:24 PM

Post #10 of 20 (7961 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] Permanent Resident Visa Process in Mexico

We live in a city between Phoenix and Las Vegas. This allows me to apply for a permanent resident visa in one of them. But I found a conflicting requirement between those two consulates.

MEXICAN CONSULATE IN PHOENIX
- The economic solvency portion for "With Mexican" is not found. But I assume that the requirement is the same as one for "With Permanent Resident Visa".

- Economic solvency to support the family: investment receipts or bank statements showing an average monthly balance $450 USD (12 months) or employment or a pension with monthly income greater than $450 USD (6 months)

Link: https://consulmex2.sre.gob.mx/...nentresidentvisa.pdf

MEXICAN CONSULATE IN LAS VEGAS
- Economic solvency to support the family: investment receipts or bank statements showing an average monthly balance $1554 USD or employment or a pension with monthly income greater than $520 USD (6 months)

Link: https://consulmex2.sre.gob.mx/...esidencia-permanente

QUESTION
$450 USD vs. $1554 USD & 6 months vs. 12 months. I can definitely cover both of them ($1554 USD & 12 months) but just wonder why the financial requirements are different.

(This post was edited by PonyMex on Jul 26, 2016, 7:35 PM)

chinagringo

Jul 26, 2016, 7:59 PM

Post #11 of 20 (7948 views)

Shortcut

Them with the power positions get to interpret and make the rules as they see fit. And this will be the first of many circumstances where you might experience same? If nothing else, it keeps life in Mexico interesting and entertaining!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Baja13

Jul 29, 2016, 10:00 PM

Post #12 of 20 (7878 views)

Shortcut

I just got my residente permanente card in Mexico through vinculo familiar.
You don't need to be a residente temporal in any way to jump to permanent resident as it pertains to family unity. They never asked for financials either. I did mine in Cabo San Lucas.

Terri2

Aug 27, 2016, 1:34 PM

Post #13 of 20 (7336 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Baja13] Permanent Resident Visa Process in Mexico

Hello,

Baja13 please tell me how you did it!

I have been getting conflicting information from the INM and the consulate in Houston. My husband (Mexican citizen) and I are retiring and moving to Mexico. As such, I wanted to stop using the Tourist Visa and have something more permanent and not deal with the border guys and gals who often only give me 30 days....because they simply can.

Last December I started the process for the TR because I was told that was my only option. Due to a busy year of trying to sell a house, blah, blah, blah... it expired. But now, I cannot get into Mexico. The border gal said I must go to the consulate and start the process over. They would not give me a Tourist Visa.

So....I have an appointment Monday to talk through options and get a visa so I can get into Mexico. Options I have been give are: TR or the Long Term (10 year) visa but told I cannot get the Permanent Resident visa until I have spent 4 years with TR regardless of financial proof or vinculo familia.

Does anyone know my options and how to request them? Often it is what you say that makes the difference.

Many thanks!!

rvgringo

Aug 27, 2016, 2:15 PM

Post #14 of 20 (7329 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Terri2] Permanent Resident Visa Process in Mexico

You may be getting the wrong information, but it seldom helps to point out the official rules to a consulate employee. Or, it may be because you are not both living in Mexico at the moment. So, just do what they suggest to get yourself into Mexico; perhaps just cancelling your previous application and getting an FMM visitante at the border. Then, with your husband as a citizen, you can apply at INM, in Mexico, under vincula familiar, if he can support you, you have proof of residence, etc..

Baja13

Aug 27, 2016, 10:14 PM

Post #15 of 20 (7297 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Permanent Resident Visa Process in Mexico

I don't have any experience dealing with any Mexican consulate. They may have different procedures than that of a local IMN office. The benefit to "vinculo familiar" is that you can go straight to Mexico and deal directly with the INM, and that's what I did. If you can straighten this out with the consulate and just tell them you are only interested in a tourist visa that would be your best bet. Is your residente temporal still pending in their eyes? If so, that could be the problem. A foreigner cannot have two visas at once, or even be under consideration for two visas. I guess it's possible the consulate can say you need to be a risidente temporal before a residente permanente, but it's not this way once you are in Mexico. if you can get to Mexico under a tourist visa that's your best option, then go for your residente permanente! That's how I did it. They didn't ask for financials. I just told them I'm retired, and that's the truth. Good luck!

AlanMexicali

Aug 28, 2016, 2:25 AM

Post #16 of 20 (7290 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I don't have any experience dealing with any Mexican consulate. They may have different procedures than that of a local IMN office. The benefit to "vinculo familiar" is that you can go straight to Mexico and deal directly with the INM, and that's what I did. If you can straighten this out with the consulate and just tell them you are only interested in a tourist visa that would be your best bet. Is your residente temporal still pending in their eyes? If so, that could be the problem. A foreigner cannot have two visas at once, or even be under consideration for two visas. I guess it's possible the consulate can say you need to be a risidente temporal before a residente permanente, but it's not this way once you are in Mexico. if you can get to Mexico under a tourist visa that's your best option, then go for your residente permanente! That's how I did it. They didn't ask for financials. I just told them I'm retired, and that's the truth. Good luck!

The new Immigration law 2011 to present will not allow anyone married to a Mexican National applying under the "vinculo familiar" law to enter Mexico with a 180 day FMM tourist card and apply for Residente Permanente unless they are the parent of a Mexican citizen, child born to a Mexican National abroad or in Mexico. You can only apply for a Residente Temporal visa/card for 1 to 4 years, After you get a 2 year RT visa/card then you can apply for a Residente Permanente visa/card. It has been this way since Nov. 9th. 2011 if married to a Mexican National. The consulates know the law also. It appears the Houston Mx. Consulate gave her bad information about the immigration law in regards to applying under the "vinculo famliliar" law.

You also gave her bad information or outdated information or incomplete information. To get a Residente Permanente visa/card without first getting 2 years on a Residente Temporal visa/card requires proof of financial solvency married to a Mexican National or not and has to be done first by applying at a Mexican consulate in another country. In your case if you are the parent of a Mexican citizen then state so as they can get a Residente Permanente without needing a RT visa/card for 2 years without proof of financial solvency inside Mexico under the "vinculo famliliar" law with a 180 FMM tourist card.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Aug 28, 2016, 2:42 AM)

Baja13

Aug 28, 2016, 12:59 PM

Post #17 of 20 (7243 views)

Shortcut

Alan is correct. I had to go back and read the specific article in the immigration bill. I did mine through my minor daughter. I just assumed it covered spouses. I see grandparents of a minor Mexican citizen can get residente permanente in Mexico, but a spouse of a Mexican citizen has to be a residente temporal. Strange.

AlanMexicali

Aug 28, 2016, 5:18 PM

Post #18 of 20 (7222 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Alan is correct. I had to go back and read the specific article in the immigration bill. I did mine through my minor daughter. I just assumed it covered spouses. I see grandparents of a minor Mexican citizen can get residente permanente in Mexico, but a spouse of a Mexican citizen has to be a residente temporal. Strange.

Parents can get immigration status the same as their son or daughter as in Residente Temporal [they can apply for Residente Temporal] or Residente Permanente [they can apply for Residente Permanente] not through their grandchildren. If your parents were to apply under the "vinculo familiar" law you would be the one they apply under. If you were not a Permanent Resident of Mexico and your daughter lives in Mexico they cannot apply for any resident visa under the "vinculo familiar" law.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Aug 28, 2016, 5:22 PM)

Baja13

Aug 28, 2016, 11:44 PM

Post #19 of 20 (7198 views)

Shortcut

This is what I was saying. It just seems they make it harder on a spouse of a Mexican citizen than a grandparent of a Mexican citizen.

RuralPuebla

Aug 29, 2016, 6:41 PM

Post #20 of 20 (7160 views)

Shortcut

I got my permanent residence 3 April 2016 by family unity. For me in Puebla, there was no way to get it without first getting Temporary Residence for two years. It was not presented as an option. I had FM-3 for nearly 4 years, and with the law change it was a waste of time. I am glad someone got P directly, but it didn't work for me. In my case, my wife of 40+ years was Mexican.

And, no proof of financial solvency required.

April 3 was a good day for me. No more rule changes. No more visits to INM unless it gets lost or stolen. And, I can stay in Mexico as long as I live.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4