Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

NorthAmericanTraveler

Jul 15, 2016, 11:59 AM

Post #1 of 18 (7236 views)

Shortcut

Is there a 2016 Guia Roji Road Atlas?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am trying to find a 2016 Guia Roji Atlas online and all I'm coming up with are 2015's. Did they not release an atlas this year?

joaquinx

Jul 15, 2016, 2:04 PM

Post #2 of 18 (7219 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NorthAmericanTraveler] Is there a 2016 Guia Roji Road Atlas?

In Reply To
I am trying to find a 2016 Guia Roji Atlas online and all I'm coming up with are 2015's. Did they not release an atlas this year?

The 2015 edition is copyrighted 2016. It's the latest edition.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

chinagringo

Jul 15, 2016, 7:47 PM

Post #3 of 18 (7200 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Is there a 2016 Guia Roji Road Atlas?

Comment: we were diehard Guia Roji users going back to the period before we got our first Garmin GPS with Mexico maps in 2008. In the early days of Garmin Mexico Maps, we still used Guia Roji to supplement directions from our GPS. Garmin improved their updates and Guia Roji became less important to us. Even though we still travel with the master map book and some individual maps, I don't think we have used in the past couple of years. With our smartphone, we have come to rely on Google Maps for both driving and walking around. Find it really great that we can plot out hotels, restaurants and points of interest well before a trip!

I believe we have purchased our last Guia Roji map book but YMMV!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

NorthAmericanTraveler

Jul 16, 2016, 10:28 AM

Post #4 of 18 (7177 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Is there a 2016 Guia Roji Road Atlas?

I'll have to order a 2015 then! Thanks for the responses. I know that my Rand McNally probably isn't going to cut it in Mexico. I guess I could print maps off of Google, but their maps don't seem to label the highways inside of cities correctly. That and Mexico's signs are sometimes odd or just non existent in certain places.

jreboll

Jul 17, 2016, 5:18 AM

Post #5 of 18 (7156 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NorthAmericanTraveler] Is there a 2016 Guia Roji Road Atlas?

I used to get free Mexico maps from AAA. I do not know if it is still possible

chinagringo

Jul 17, 2016, 5:50 AM

Post #6 of 18 (7154 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jreboll] Is there a 2016 Guia Roji Road Atlas?

Not sure if the maps are free but do know that the guidebooks are no longer free. As for the maps, we never found them to be worth much proving once again that you get what you pay for!

Again, we have become real believers in Google Maps on a smartphone. This past Feb, we used the walking feature in Mexico City with 100% accuracy.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

RuralPuebla

Jul 17, 2016, 1:28 PM

Post #7 of 18 (7129 views)

Shortcut

I don't remember if I already posted this. If so assume apology.

We had visitors from the USA and Oaxaca last weekend. We drove into CAPU, the Puebla bus station, to pick up the North American group. Due to major construction on the cuota in Puebla, and a total absence of signs for the long frontage road which turns off for CAPU, we had an absolutely horrid hour or more getting turned around at the west Tlaxcala exit.

We survived somehow, and then weren't sure where CAPU parking was, so that involved another 20 minutes of circle driving.

Finally found it!!

When it was time to leave, I told my tech savvy guest, the dad, I was terrified to trying to find my way back out, had no idea how to do it.

He said, "Not to Worry!!" He had a smart phone with WAZE, a special crowd sourced map program. I was unable to comply with original instructions to move lanes to the left for a Retorno at the parking lot exit, but as soon as I turned right, it updated, and he told me to turn right at the first street, and it would be a km north past a couple streets.

I followed his instructions, and it put us back on the boulevard we had originally taken to the parking lot, but with instructions to take the Retorn a block away. The lights created a gap in boulevard traffic, and the Retorn was a waltz! Made it on the left turn light, and out to the frontage road and east quite a distance to our turn off.

That program had every trivial street on it. It was not perfect since long before our turn off to our village, it told us to exit for some periferico. by then, I knew very well the route, and as we continued it kept up with where we were.

He said crowd source meant if a user got stuck by a wreck, he can input it and it will find other routes for users until the wreck is cleared.

For me, it was a life saver, I tell you.

RuralPuebla

Jul 17, 2016, 1:30 PM

Post #8 of 18 (7127 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RuralPuebla] Is there a 2016 Guia Roji Road Atlas?

Of course, I neglected to mention his smart phone had GPS built in. Sorry about the oversight.

chinagringo

Jul 17, 2016, 5:05 PM

Post #9 of 18 (7113 views)

Shortcut

I tested WAZE here in the US but to me, it was too much like social media which I refuse to participate in. Too many false reports and too much concentrating on avoiding the police in my opinion! When planning and plotting trips, I can send trip maps or locations to Google Maps from my laptop to smartphone. For those concerned about data usage. one can save maps to your device so that you can use in the offline mode. Not absolutely positive but in our current age of technology, I believe that virtually all smartphones are GPS equiped?

Whether one chooses to use a standard issue GPS or a smartphone installed guidance app - common sense comes into play and one shouldn't follow blindly. That includes the US or Canada but Mexico isn't alone in having its own idiosyncracies!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

NorthAmericanTraveler

Jul 18, 2016, 7:55 AM

Post #10 of 18 (7096 views)

Shortcut

I don't even own a GPS or a smartphone. I'm still old fashioned. My Rand McNally is pretty good in the US and Canada. The Mexico overview map in my Rand McNally is okay, but I'd definitely like to have something a little (or a lot) better, like the Guia Roji.

The Rand McNally Mexico map would be a lot better if they put it on two pages instead of one. They could put the Mexico overview map on page 128 and 129 (which would really help), and then on 130 they could have blowup maps of major Mexican cities. They would only have to add one extra page to accomplish this task.

Maesonna

Jul 24, 2016, 11:39 AM

Post #11 of 18 (7029 views)

Shortcut

Waze has been bought by Google, so now data from Wazers is also used to update the dynamic Google map.
Before, Waze used to have the advantage because the data were more up to date (like up-to-the-minute), but now that the same data are also added to Google Maps, I prefer the latter most of the time for navigating because the way Google Maps presents the data and maps your route is more user-friendly (at least to this user).

chinagringo

Jul 24, 2016, 12:11 PM

Post #12 of 18 (7026 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] Is there a 2016 Guia Roji Road Atlas?

In spite of over 5 years worth of experience with Garmin and fully updated North America updated maps (including Mexico) - Google Maps won me over in rapid fashion! I really like the "offline" maps feature where we can use preloaded maps without using data and the fact that we can preplan from our laptops and send locations to our smartphones or tablets. We have a 10" tablet and a 8" tablet and while our data plan doesn't allow their use in Mexico, the offline maps feature works well. Or we can go live on the smartphones where we get free Mexico data. I didn't realize that Google had purchased Waze in 2013. I can see the advantage of incorporating certain features but IMO they can leave out the social BS.

We still carry the Guia Roji book and some of the individual maps but they have been dead weight on recent trips!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

RuralPuebla

Jul 28, 2016, 2:27 PM

Post #13 of 18 (6968 views)

Shortcut

Thanks everyone for additional comments All I know was I had a horrid problem, and WAZE got me out of there. I have no expectation of using it again.

chinagringo

Jul 28, 2016, 9:03 PM

Post #14 of 18 (6950 views)

Shortcut

Rural:

Please don't take my comments as a condemnation of WAZE. I was simply saying that it wasn't what I look for and each of us can be quite different with our expectations and experiences. No biggie!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

esperanza

Jul 30, 2016, 6:38 AM

Post #15 of 18 (6918 views)

Shortcut

When Uber (a world-wide car service) came to Mexico City, the drivers initially used Google maps to plot their routes from Point A to Point B. Google turned out to be very unreliable in the city, often directing drivers to destinations that were unrelated to the destination one actually requested.

Subsequently, Uber changed to WAZE. 99% of the time the WAZE routes--and the WAZE directions to avoid traffic snarls--are accurate. That 1% can be a doozy, but it doesn't happen often. In addition, if a passenger knows a route that is more direct than the recommended WAZE route, the passenger simply tells the driver what streets to take.

IMHO and in my experience, WAZE beats Google Maps by about a zillion percent. I agree with RuralPuebla.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

chinagringo

Jul 30, 2016, 9:24 AM

Post #16 of 18 (6905 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Is there a 2016 Guia Roji Road Atlas?

That probably explains why our UBER driver drove the wrong way down a one way street when taking us to the San Angel Inn from Coyoacan?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

chinagringo

Aug 1, 2016, 7:33 PM

Post #17 of 18 (6857 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Is there a 2016 Guia Roji Road Atlas?

Seems to be some conflicting information on just which maps UBER driver use:

http://easybtn-stage.usatoday.com/...ig-mapping/87907092/
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

esperanza

Aug 3, 2016, 6:34 AM

Post #18 of 18 (6810 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Seems to be some conflicting information on just which maps UBER driver use:

http://easybtn-stage.usatoday.com/...ig-mapping/87907092/

Chinagringo, c'mon. I live in Mexico City and use Uber almost every day. I see which maps they use, and my eyeballed experience is that the Uber drivers in Mexico City are using WAZE. YMMV. The article you posted has nothing to do with which maps are used here.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4