Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Andrewcomp

Jul 6, 2016, 9:22 PM

Post #1 of 11 (5769 views)

Shortcut

Mid 20s looking to move to Mexico and start a new?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello. I searched a few pages back and couldnt find anything. Have so spent countless hours on consulate websites and dont find many answers. I have read that i either need a certain US income or a job offer in Mexico before applying for a temporary resident visa. My question is- i am not a retiree nor do I have a set income. I work an hourly job ,that once i move, will no longer be provoding me an income. I speak fluent spanish and have enrolled in a teaching english as a foreign language course. My question is- do i definitely need one of those two things to apply for temporary residency? I imagine its hard to obtain a job in a country im not currently residing in. Any help or advice would be appreciated

RickS

Jul 7, 2016, 6:02 AM

Post #2 of 11 (5745 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Andrewcomp] Mid 20s looking to move to Mexico and start a new?

Yes, you have basically heard correct... to obtain a Residente Temporal one must either have a job offer in Mexico or meet certain income/holdings requirements (which it does not sound like you have). Your only access to Mexico would seem to be using a Tourist card which is good for 180 days, after which you would have to exit the country. You 'could' then turn around and re-enter on a new Tourist card.... many people do this.... but there is some evidence that Mexico might be clamping down on this practice. If you have a US plated car that you would plan on taking into Mexico, you would need to get a TIP (Temporary Import Permit) for it which would also be good for the 180 days. This permit doesn't cost much ($35?) but one must put up a refundable deposit ($250-$400 depending on value) either in cash or credit card.

Andrewcomp

Jul 7, 2016, 6:05 AM

Post #3 of 11 (5743 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Mid 20s looking to move to Mexico and start a new?

I wonder then if it would just be easier to find someone to "offer me a job" to obtain the residency. Interesting how i need a job to attain residency yet most jobs require that i have residency ☺

sparks

Jul 7, 2016, 7:43 AM

Post #4 of 11 (5728 views)

Shortcut

Come down on a Tourist Permit and find an employer that will help you apply for the Visa.

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

rvgringo

Jul 7, 2016, 9:23 AM

Post #5 of 11 (5718 views)

Shortcut

The job offer cannot be from just “someone“. It must be from an employer which is registered with the immigration authorities (INM) to hire foreigners. They must submit specific information to INM in order to support your application for a residence visa with permission to work. Then, you would have to return to your home country and make application with a Mexican consulate. Once approved, you would return to Mexico, complete the visa process with INM and, when received, begin your new job.
As you can see, there is serious effort and travel involved. You might begin your search with US companies that have interests in Mexico; expressing your interest and qualifications to work in Mexico.
You cannot just go to Mexico and get a job. Tourists are prohibited from working.

RickS

Jul 7, 2016, 12:01 PM

Post #6 of 11 (5704 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I wonder then if it would just be easier to find someone to "offer me a job" to obtain the residency. Interesting how i need a job to attain residency yet most jobs require that i have residency ☺

Not uncommon for a foreign country to have requirements like this.... try just "coming into the US as a tourist" and stay/get a job".

BUT.... your age and your Spanish skills could be an asset to you at some of the tourist locations... like Cancun. Reliable sources suggest that one with those qualifications can come in as a Tourist and start 'asking around' at the big resorts, etc. Maybe you could start with that kind of intro.

Good luck.

Maesonna

Jul 7, 2016, 12:14 PM

Post #7 of 11 (5701 views)

Shortcut

Other people have had success by first coming to Mexico on a tourist permit, finding a job with an in-person search (with an employer willing and authorized to sponsor a foreigner for a work permit), and then leaving Mexico briefly (a few days or a week at most) to start the process of getting a residence visa with work permission at a Mexican consulate outside the country.

aglaonema

Jul 7, 2016, 12:49 PM

Post #8 of 11 (5696 views)

Shortcut

Come down as a tourist to a place you may want to live or to check out different cities.
With some sort of certificate that you competed English teacher training a language school in Mexico will probably hire you and help with the immigration paperwork. You'll probablyneed to return home (USA?) briefly to complete the process, as other posters have mentioned.

ifyoucanttakeajoke

Jul 7, 2016, 1:03 PM

Post #9 of 11 (5694 views)

Shortcut

You don't mention the salary you will expect.

chicois8

Jul 7, 2016, 4:52 PM

Post #10 of 11 (5671 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ifyoucanttakeajoke] Mid 20s looking to move to Mexico and start a new?

What are your work skills, is it something a national can not do?
Which area do you want to relocate too? Brining a car?
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

gabrielin

Jul 12, 2016, 8:35 PM

Post #11 of 11 (5522 views)

Shortcut

Good evening,

I'm not sure where you'd like to live in Mexico, but there are plenty of employers in Mexico City that offer positions teaching English that will help you obtain a work visa. One place that I looked in to a couple years back is called BCR Business Academy (I'll post the link at the end of this reply) and they do everything by the books as far as INM (immigration) is concerned. I was hired but the position just wasn't for me. However, perhaps you may enjoy it along with the immigration/housing assistance and other benefits they provide.

There are also a handful of other schools that will allow foreigners to teach with simply a tourist visa. It's illegal to work in Mexico without permission on a tourist visa and most of those types of schools are pretty shady. I'd avoid them if I were you. Good luck! :)

Here is the link to an advertisement on Craigslist for BCR: http://mexicocity.craigslist.com.mx/edu/5680292867.html

(This post was edited by RickS on Jul 12, 2016, 9:42 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4