Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

rachelssm

Jul 6, 2016, 5:01 PM

Post #1 of 8 (7116 views)

Shortcut

Best route to travel from the US to Guanajuato by car?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi there,

My husband and I plan to drive down to Mexico to check out some cities for a prospective move. We're most interested in Guanajuato and Queretaro and are wondering what the best and safest driving route is. We will be traveling with a dog, so any tips about places to stay en route would be welcome too. We're coming from Washington state and could cross the border anywhere. We've been looking at the Nuevo Laredo crossing or maybe Baja, but are open to anything. Thanks so much for any suggestions.

RickS

Jul 6, 2016, 8:34 PM

Post #2 of 8 (7104 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rachelssm] Best route to travel from the US to Guanajuato by car?

Unless you are just interested (which is OK) in some sightseeing in Mexico along the way, I would not cross much of anywhere west of Laredo. Why? Well, one thing is that the roads you would be using (in Mexico) would all be toll (a couple of hundred bucks more) and fuel will be much more expensive than staying in the US. Also trying to find a motel for your pup along the way might be easier in the US than in some undefined place(s) in Mexico.

I would recommend that you either cross at Laredo, or, just prior to there, Eagle Pass Tx. Both will get you sooner or later to your destination(s). If you cross at Eagle Pass you will be on highway 57 once inside Mexico and that highway will take you right to Queretaro. The tolls will be less this route and the roads are very good. If you wait until Laredo, you will come south initially on 85 to Monterrey, then take up 40 for a bit before joining 57 around Saltillo for the remained of the trip down to Queretaro.

If you decide/want to visit Guanajuato first you could take either of these routes until about Delores Hidalgo (not right on 57 but signs would be plentiful) and from there cross over to Guanajuato City.

I don't know if you have information or are interested in San Miguel de Allende (in Guanajuato State) at all, but it is about half way between Queretaro City and Guanajuato City. If you are familiar with it, do some research. If I were in that area for the first time, I would not miss taking a look at San Miguel.

Also I'll throw this out just in case.... you must get a TIP (Temporary Import Permit) for your US plated vehicle to drive it into Mexico. If you don't know about this and want more info, just ask as there are some hoops to jump through.

(Can't help you with doggie motels... sorry)

rvgringo

Jul 7, 2016, 9:37 AM

Post #3 of 8 (7084 views)

Shortcut

If you are on an exploration trip, I strongly suggest that you figure out a way to board your pooch at home, with friends or in a kennel, as you will be severely limited on finding hotels. Actually, most hotels will refuse you, but some of the “no tell, quickie, by the hour“ motels will let you stay....sometimes. It is against the law to take a pet into a restaurant and stores often have “no mascotas“ signs posted on the door.
It is hard enough to travel with a pet, especially one of obvious size or voice, when making the move; but, on an exploration trip.....Ugh! No fun to be had.
Rick has given you excellent routes for access to central Mexico. Baja would be a separate trip, for sure, as would be the Yucatan, etc. However, if you want to begin your search in the area of Guadalajara & Lake Chapala, you could consider crossing at Nogales and taking route 15 to Guadalajara. It is a toll road all the way, but it is a good road and you would also pass through places like Mazatlan, if you wish to explore the beach city environment for a day or two...if you travel in the winter. Summer....too hot & humid at lower elevations on the coasts.
Enjoy.

(This post was edited by RickS on Jul 7, 2016, 12:03 PM)

rachelssm

Jul 7, 2016, 10:13 AM

Post #4 of 8 (7082 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Best route to travel from the US to Guanajuato by car?

At this time we're just interested in looking at Guanajuato and Queretaro, and we have already found airbnbs that happily accept pets in both cities, so I think we're set on that. If people have recommendations for motels en route--sounds like that means along 57--we'd love them. A friend who lived in Mexico until about 5 years ago suggested camping (they did tons of that with their dog) but I'm imagining the areas we'll be in in the northern part of the country aren't optimal for camping on the safety front...thoughts on that would be welcome, too.

rvgringo

Jul 7, 2016, 10:22 AM

Post #5 of 8 (7080 views)

Shortcut

I don‘t suggest camping, as there are almost no active campsites or RV parks, compared to the USA or Europe. You should also plan to find a place to stop long before sunset. Driving after dark is not recommended, although we admit to having done it a couple of times & it was pretty lonely out there on the highway. It was caused by not finding pet-friendly accommodations as we were traveling with two dogs.
Look into Las Palmas at Matehuala as a possible stop.

RickS

Jul 7, 2016, 12:08 PM

Post #6 of 8 (7073 views)

Shortcut

I drive a lot in Mexico and am an RV'ear in the States.... and I too do not support 'camping' in Mexico especially if one new to the areas or is just 'driving through' and probably without an RV camper.

NorthAmericanTraveler

Jul 8, 2016, 6:44 AM

Post #7 of 8 (7053 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Best route to travel from the US to Guanajuato by car?

I would personally enter at Piedras Negras since there are less toll roads along this route. This is the crossing I plan on using if I end up driving to Zacatecas this winter. To get your permits you will will take 57 to Allende (about 30 miles from the border). This is probably the safest route imo.

If you don't mind paying tolls than I would use the Colombia bridge about 15 miles northwest of Laredo. You get there by taking TX 255 which is an electronic toll road. If you don't have TXTag they will send you a bill in the mail. Colombia issues permits and there is almost never a line. Then you can take 85D to Monterrey and the 40D over to 57D. This is probably the fastest route.

(This post was edited by NorthAmericanTraveler on Jul 8, 2016, 6:47 AM)

RickS

Jul 8, 2016, 7:11 AM

Post #8 of 8 (7046 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NorthAmericanTraveler] Best route to travel from the US to Guanajuato by car?

Just remember/be aware that the Colombia crossing is not a 24-hour facility and will not be open (for Immigration and vehicle permits) very early in the morning.....

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4