Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Aaron+

Jul 5, 2016, 10:21 AM

Post #1 of 4 (3758 views)

Shortcut

FedEx International Mail delivery -- not worth it in Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
Have read that Amazon orders permitted into Mexico arrive fairly rapidly, as in within a week or so. Amazon uses one or more major courier services.

Was initially pleased to see that a few merchants are offering FedEx International Mail delivery service. Decided to try it out for a small order from iHerb of milk thistle capsules that we needed.

iHerb promptly shipped it out, handing it over to FedEx. Within a few days, FedEx Intl delivery page showed the package being handled within FedEx, and then being shipped to the destination country.

Ah, here's where the fun began.

FedEx tracking for its international mail service stops after departure from the USA. FedEx international tracking does not track such packages, as they have been handled over to the foreign nation carrier, in my case, the underfunded, woefully inept Mexican mail system. After some calls to various FedEx international offices, I tried the "rastreo" (tracking) page of Correos de Mexico.

From May 18 to June 5, no sign of the package. Then it appears as being with Correos June 6 at the Mexico City airport, Benito Juarez. Presumedly it sat with the Aduana for over two weeks, though there is no notices of an Aduana stay. Then I see something weird.

Reading Internet info, I find that Correos does not have the capacity to sort all incoming international mail in Mexico City, So mail is shipped out to the international classification centers in other states! My package first goes about June 6 to center 15, in the state of Mexico. On June 8, that center sends it to --- Yucatan (my state)? No. To Aguascalientes.

June 22 Aguascalientes forwards the package along to the international classification center for Yucatan. Yea! On July1 my little package touches Yucatecan soil. On July 4, the office that handles packages of my zipcode (not the same office as handles letters and magazines) receives it. And today, July 8, my mailman pulls up at our house with the package for my signature. He surrenders the package upon my displaying an official ID.

Lesson for me: have no expectation of reasonable delivery time using FedEx's turn over of packages to Correos de México.

(Re: MexConnect, I tried to attach a jpeg with the Correos tracking info, but I do not see it showing up The 110KB file shows as being attached but...

(This post was edited by Aaron+ on Jul 5, 2016, 10:24 AM)

rockydog85251

Jul 5, 2016, 1:25 PM

Post #2 of 4 (3742 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] FedEx International Mail delivery -- not worth it in Mexico

Aaron, I order from I herb all the time and it usually takes at least 6-8 wks to receive my order here in Ajijic. I have a.very good relationship with our tiny post office and sometimes he will call me, other times they just deliver the package. Much of the time the package has been inspected by Adriana and the only things missing is the freebie, if there is one and ALWAYS the invoice/packing list. Go figure..... I know- it's really frustrating!
Willie

fordmexico

Jul 6, 2016, 6:51 PM

Post #3 of 4 (3658 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] FedEx International Mail delivery -- not worth it in Mexico

Regarding Amazon USA. Initially they were sending most of their packages to us in Mexico City via UPS taking 7-14 days much of it by ground transportation. Now they are using DHL with delivery in 3 to 7 days depending on how long it takes Amazon to deliver it to DHL. It is always by air once they receive it from Amazon. Tracking is excellent.

I have been a frequent user of Fed Ex when sending personal items and have always been able to track my items. FedEx has always been the delivery carrier for me.

International shipments require a commercial invoice which Mexican customs (Aduana) will often keep. Any item not listed/declared is subject to confiscation by them. I'm not too sure why FedEx is handing off delivery unless you live outside an area where they do not have a delivery office. In the past you would get a message stating they could not accept your package.

I found the Correos de Mexico tracking to better than of the USPS which is not say much. It does take a long time to clear Aduana both inbound and outbound. Thanks for explaining why.

Mim11

Jul 23, 2016, 8:46 AM

Post #4 of 4 (3424 views)

Shortcut

Re: [fordmexico] FedEx International Mail delivery -- not worth it in Mexico

In Reply To
Regarding Amazon USA. Initially they were sending most of their packages to us in Mexico City via UPS taking 7-14 days much of it by ground transportation. Now they are using DHL with delivery in 3 to 7 days depending on how long it takes Amazon to deliver it to DHL. It is always by air once they receive it from Amazon. Tracking is excellent.

I have been a frequent user of Fed Ex when sending personal items and have always been able to track my items. FedEx has always been the delivery carrier for me.

International shipments require a commercial invoice which Mexican customs (Aduana) will often keep. Any item not listed/declared is subject to confiscation by them. I'm not too sure why FedEx is handing off delivery unless you live outside an area where they do not have a delivery office. In the past you would get a message stating they could not accept your package.

I found the Correos de Mexico tracking to better than of the USPS which is not say much. It does take a long time to clear Aduana both inbound and outbound. Thanks for explaining why.

There is difference between sending items via FedEx to an international destination and sending them via FedEx International Mail. Sending via FedEx is faster, handled by FedEx door to door, trackable via FedEx the whole way and more expensive.

FedEx International Mail is less expensive, but FedEx only handles and tracks the item until it is delivered to the national postal service in the destination country. So the only difference sending it this way rather than by regular mail in the US is that it bypasses the USPS. Once it's in Mexico, it will be the same process as an item sent by US Mail.

I have FedExed items both from Canada to Mexico and vice versa (regular FedEx service) and delivery has been within 1-2 days.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4