Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

gabrielin

Jun 20, 2016, 9:35 AM

Post #1 of 15 (6400 views)

Shortcut

Residente Temporal to Residente Permanente (Vinculo Familiar)

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hola, amigos. I have a couple questions which you may or may not be able to answer.

My spouse is Mexican, I'm American, and we married in Mexico City in 2013 (where we live now). I've had my RT for almost 2 years which expires July 22, 2016. My spouse called INM's 800 number and asked which online tramite we should use to switch from RT to RP for my renewal. The INM official told him that we must select "Cambio a residente permanente por vinculo familiar" and provide all documents with copies and a fee of $1149.

This is the webpage: http://www.gob.mx/tramites/ficha/cambio-a-residente-permanente-por-vinculo-familiar/INM822

For my first two RTs, I had to take new pictures each time and pay much more. This page above, if you can read it, says exactly what the woman from INM told my spouse over the phone. I have all the documents they list but I'm wondering why the charge is lower than normal RPs and no new pictures are required? Is this because it's via vinculo familiar and I've had my RT? Because I noticed regular the regular RP fees are significantly higher.

Thank you. :)

mcm

Jun 20, 2016, 11:38 AM

Post #2 of 15 (6387 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gabrielin] Residente Temporal to Residente Permanente (Vinculo Familiar)

the fee of 1149 pesos is the fee to start the process (change from one type of visa to another). When that is approved, you will pay another, larger fee, and provide photos. I can't remember what the fee is offhand, but it is more (good part - you won't need to pay fees anymore after this!).
PS -- I looked up the 2016 fees here
The cost for the residente permanente visa is 4383 pesos.

(This post was edited by mcm on Jun 20, 2016, 11:44 AM)

gabrielin

Jun 20, 2016, 12:58 PM

Post #3 of 15 (6379 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mcm] Residente Temporal to Residente Permanente (Vinculo Familiar)

Thank you for that useful information, mcm. I already paid the amount for change of status at a bank today and intend on going to the INM office on Wednesday. So you're saying that I should file the change of status and that starts the RP process? Or, do I apply for the RP separately? Because many websites say you can apply to be an RP after two years of marriage and mentioned nothing about "change of status".

Knowing our situation, the INM officer on the phone said all I had to do was bring the required documents and copies for "change of status". I have all of that plus the proof of payment. She said that is enough to convert to RP. This was after my spouse asked the INM officer a variety of questions regarding our situation (including my RT card expires on the 22nd), so I'm pretty sure she understood.

Sorry for the questions, it's just that my 2nd renewal of my RT expires on July 22nd, I'm a little worried about total costs of RT to RP. I don't want to pay for RT and change of status and then pay more than the required amount.

mcm

Jun 21, 2016, 10:54 AM

Post #4 of 15 (6318 views)

Shortcut

I'm not an expert, and have never changed status using the vinculo familiar. When we ''changed'' from RT to RP, we had to pay the initial fee (which you have now paid), and then, later, the larger amount to process the RP. Your best bet is to ask the INM officer directly, in person, and ask several times to make sure you're getting a consistent answer (it's not uncommon to be told something, and later find out that something was left out, or explained in incorrectly or in a confusing way). But don't worry too much -- the most you'll have to pay are the amounts listed on the website linked in my post above.

YucaLandia

Jun 21, 2016, 11:23 AM

Post #5 of 15 (6316 views)

Shortcut

When checking INM Fees, you can go straight to the horse's mouth...
(the SEGOB DOF website).at:
http://www.dof.gob.mx/...amp;fecha=30/12/2014

or read a summary of the fees at:

https://yucalandia.com/2014/12/30/2015-inm-immigration-fees-for-mexico/

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

YucaLandia

Jun 21, 2016, 11:27 AM

Post #6 of 15 (6314 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Residente Temporal to Residente Permanente (Vinculo Familiar)

Summary... for the last 3½ years, we pay one fee for changing (regularizacion) from RT to RP:

The current fees were announced in Dec, 2014:

RT to RP regularizacion: $1,124 pesos

plus the $4,289 pesos fee for getting the RP visa.

Why no fotos and no RP visa fee when you apply at INM?

INM does NOT charge us nor need fotos, until they approve our applications...

https://yucalandia.com/...ion-fees-for-mexico/
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Jun 21, 2016, 11:29 AM)

gabrielin

Jun 21, 2016, 1:09 PM

Post #7 of 15 (6298 views)

Shortcut

First of all, you both have been very kind and intelligent. I really appreciate your help. Just a couple more questions, if you can, I'd be very grateful. Sorry for my ignorance. It's just that plan on going to go to INM tomorrow.

1) I know you're not psychic, but do you know approximately how long it takes for a "Cambio a residente permanente por vinculo familiar" regularizacion to be processed? I don't want to lose my visa because they're slow.
2) Which leads me to, should I apply for the RP immediately or wait until the regularizacion is complete?

Thank you in advance. :)

AlanMexicali

Jun 21, 2016, 4:21 PM

Post #8 of 15 (6282 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

First of all, you both have been very kind and intelligent. I really appreciate your help. Just a couple more questions, if you can, I'd be very grateful. Sorry for my ignorance. It's just that plan on going to go to INM tomorrow.

1) I know you're not psychic, but do you know approximately how long it takes for a "Cambio a residente permanente por vinculo familiar" regularizacion to be processed? I don't want to lose my visa because they're slow.
2) Which leads me to, should I apply for the RP immediately or wait until the regularizacion is complete?

Thank you in advance. :)

Here in the city of San Lus Potosi it takes 13 working days to approve it once all the paperwork is submitted and then you are E-mailed to come in or you can phone the # they give you. They need photos and final payment and take your fingerprints. Then 3 working days to go in and pick up your RP visa/card. So about 16 working days plus 2 weekends 16+4= 20 days or about 3 weeks. Many large state capitals have offices that are eficient now.

The further from large cities the slower the INM offices seem to be. Federal government unions [state also] keep lazy and incompetent employees from getting fired without great cost to the employer but the big city bosses can farm them out to small population áreas where they won´t get fired unless they don´t want to go and can resign. Therefore small popluation área are sometimes overrun by state and federal employees no large city offices and their bosses want around to foul things up.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Jun 21, 2016, 4:30 PM)

gabrielin

Jun 21, 2016, 6:35 PM

Post #9 of 15 (6264 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] Residente Temporal to Residente Permanente (Vinculo Familiar)

Thank you, Alan. That clarifies a lot of my concerns. I was worried about INM taking too long with the change of status that my RT would expire and then I'd have to do everything over again. I'm starting the process of "cambio de estancia" tomorrow (30 days before my visa expires) just to be on the safe side. All the paperwork and copies are ready.

Thank you again.

-Gabriel

AlanMexicali

Jun 22, 2016, 4:07 AM

Post #10 of 15 (6236 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Thank you, Alan. That clarifies a lot of my concerns. I was worried about INM taking too long with the change of status that my RT would expire and then I'd have to do everything over again. I'm starting the process of "cambio de estancia" tomorrow (30 days before my visa expires) just to be on the safe side. All the paperwork and copies are ready.

Thank you again.

-Gabriel

It doesn´t matter how long it takes for an INM office to process your change to RP. When you get to the point of handing in your documents and when they accept them they will give you a form with your NUT [numero único de tramite] on it and take your RT card. This form is your temporary immigration document until they have completed your application. Keep it on your person and it is good for travel anywhere in Mexico and not used to travel outside of the country.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Jun 22, 2016, 4:10 AM)

mcm

Jun 22, 2016, 12:23 PM

Post #11 of 15 (6200 views)

Shortcut

The 2014 fee schedule that Yucalandia refers to has been changed. The 2016 INM fees, as shown in the link in my post above, are found here.

http://www.gob.mx/cms/uploads/attachment/file/44708/CARTEL_NUEVAS_TARIFAS_DERECHOS_MIGRATORIOS_2016.pdf

mcm

Jun 22, 2016, 12:45 PM

Post #12 of 15 (6198 views)

Shortcut

Just to clarify Yucalandia's comments -- the term regularization, in Spanish, ''regularazación'' in INM-speak refers to straightening out problems with a person's visa status (for example, illegal entry, expired visa, etc.), not the change of status from one visa to another. Change of status is "cambio de condición de estancia''. Those are two different tramites, although the fee to initiate either is the same.

YucaLandia

Jun 22, 2016, 5:30 PM

Post #13 of 15 (6185 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mcm] Residente Temporal to Residente Permanente (Vinculo Familiar)

Good clarification of the semantics.

Following SEGOB/INM's last 4 years of protocols on these processes:
I mentally bundle all of the change fees under one memory point (one $$ amount): where
all of the regularization charges,
change of Temporal status to Permanente charges,
change of Visitante to Temporal, etc charges

have all been listed at a single value for the last 4 years.

This year's charge for each of them is $1,149 MXN pesos.

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Jun 22, 2016, 5:59 PM)

RuralPuebla

Jun 23, 2016, 9:28 PM

Post #14 of 15 (6120 views)

Shortcut

I did exactly this less than 3 months ago. As stated there are two parts of the process. Part 1 is applying to change status to PR. After you apply they tell you what you will need when informed that it is ready to complete, and that in my case included the new photos as well as the larger fee.

mayamex15

Jul 15, 2016, 10:40 PM

Post #15 of 15 (5876 views)

Shortcut

Re:Residente Temporal to Residente Permanente (Vinculo Familiar)

Does anyone have any experience changing residency or getting residency in Tijuana, Sonora, or Ciudad Juarez?

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4