Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

RickS

Jun 18, 2016, 3:42 PM

Post #1 of 21 (6011 views)

Shortcut

Flying Out, Leaving a TIP vehicle in Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
  Just read a Post on a San Miguel site where a person said the following: " Our car permit is in my husband's name (we're on tourist visas). He had to fly out yesterday to care for his mom for awhile. When the plane was just about to take off, they found him and he had to pay a 390 peso fine because he's leaving the car behind. Word to the wise! "
Is this the beginning of the end of being able to do this and get away with it? Yes, I know it is not 'legal', but folks do it all the time. I wonder what the status of that TIP is now?

rvgringo

Jun 18, 2016, 3:49 PM

Post #2 of 21 (6009 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Flying Out, Leaving a TIP vehicle in Mexico

They sure are learning how to use all those new computers.
Now, when the guy returns, he will have to get a retorno seguro and drive the car to the border, since his TIP is not invalid because he left and no longer has the tourist permit that pertains to the car; but a new one which does not. He will have lost any deposit and will have to re-import the car with yet another tourist permit and TIP......IF they will let him even do that. Who knows?

playaboy

Jun 19, 2016, 5:35 AM

Post #3 of 21 (5977 views)

Shortcut

Rick, did the post say "who" found him? Was it INM, Aduana, or the Federales? Did he get a reciept?

I would like to know what happens when he drives out of the country and tries to cancel the permit. Maybe he will get his deposit back if within 6 months.

RickS

Jun 19, 2016, 6:04 AM

Post #4 of 21 (5972 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Flying Out, Leaving a TIP vehicle in Mexico

My Post gives all of the information that I know. I doubt they will Post later when they leave the country but I will pay attention to that Forum for any further info.

Guero

Jun 22, 2016, 7:19 AM

Post #5 of 21 (5881 views)

Shortcut

I was planning on doing this exact thing. I will be importing a Volvo (problem?) on a Tourist Visa. My wife and kids will fly down, and I will meet her in Aguascalientes, then fly home. She is on the title, a Mexican citizen and the kids have dual citizenship. She may nationalize it, as I will be moving down there next year also permanently on a work visa.

Does anyone foresee any problems with this scenario?

rvgringo

Jun 22, 2016, 9:29 AM

Post #6 of 21 (5872 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Guero] Flying Out, Leaving a TIP vehicle in Mexico

You may have trouble with the logistics and the title. The importer must be present and the car must be eligible for importation after exportation from the USA. You will definitely need to use a customs broker, and should contact one to pre-determine the conditions that you and the vehicle must meet. Is it a NAFTA vehicle? That is the first question, followed by age of 8-9 years, etc.
Frankly, you would probably be further ahead financially to sell it in the USA and replace it with one purchased in Mexico. Full insurability will be better, too.

Guero

Jun 22, 2016, 3:43 PM

Post #7 of 21 (5857 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for the reply. I just noticed a FB posting a few minutes ago from my wife's nephew. He is selling his 2009 Toyota Rav 4. Talk about timing! This would be the path of least resistance...

YucaLandia

Jun 22, 2016, 6:05 PM

Post #8 of 21 (5842 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I was planning on doing this exact thing. I will be importing a Volvo (problem?) on a Tourist Visa. My wife and kids will fly down, and I will meet her in Aguascalientes, then fly home. She is on the title, a Mexican citizen and the kids have dual citizenship. She may nationalize it, as I will be moving down there next year also permanently on a work visa.

Does anyone foresee any problems with this scenario?

Check the manufacturing locations of each vehicle, to see if they qualify as NAFTA manufactured vehicles to qualify for permanent importation.

RAV4's were not made in Canada until very late in 2008, which means your family's RAV4 is likely Canadian-made (NAFTA), but that is not guaranteed.

Since only 8 & 9 year old NAFTA vehicles qualify for permanently importing into Mexico, the 2009 Model Year RAV4 would not qualify until after Oct 31, 2016.

The Volvo? It's my perception that Volvo's are not NAFTA manufactured nor NAFTA assembled.

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Jun 22, 2016, 6:12 PM)

Guero

Jun 22, 2016, 10:10 PM

Post #9 of 21 (5827 views)

Shortcut

Back to the original plan. The vehicle is a 2004 Volvo, non-Nafta car (built in Sweden). I have experience with previous importation, but this Swedish car complicates things. Low miles and beautiful, but almost worthless non-NAFTA with expensive parts and high labor rates.

YucaLandia

Jun 23, 2016, 5:10 AM

Post #10 of 21 (5818 views)

Shortcut

Foreign car makers often only stock parts for the cars they sold.

e.g. Toyota did not selling cars in Mexico around 2005, so their local dealer mechanics refuse to work on anything earlier than 2005 (no certified training) and their parts departments refuse to stock parts.

Volvos may not have this problem...??
but older Toyotas, Subarus etc can have a very difficult time getting parts and you have to use local mechanics who spit-ball their way through repairs.

For these reasons, many foreigners find it easier to just buy a good used car here.

Happy Trails,
-
Read-on MacDuff

AlanMexicali

Jun 23, 2016, 7:43 AM

Post #11 of 21 (5807 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Flying Out, Leaving a TIP vehicle in Mexico

In Reply To
Foreign car makers often only stock parts for the cars they sold.

e.g. Toyota did not selling cars in Mexico around 2005, so their local dealer mechanics refuse to work on anything earlier than 2005 (no certified training) and their parts departments refuse to stock parts.

Volvos may not have this problem...??
but older Toyotas, Subarus etc can have a very difficult time getting parts and you have to use local mechanics who spit-ball their way through repairs.

For these reasons, many foreigners find it easier to just buy a good used car here.

Happy Trails,

Since the peso plunged about 16 months ago I have been toying wth the idea of buying a second used vehicle here [city of san Luis Potosi] as I sold my car in San Diego just over a year ago. I have periodically checked prices of different vehicles. As you have noted some makes and models sell for cheaper here because they are not easily serviced or parts are hard to get like Range Rovers, BMW, Mercedes, Volvos and a few other odd ball makes and especially about 10 years old or more are included. They sell for the same or less than the AutoTrader has them selling for in the US.

The models that sell for a higher resale value seem to be all Jeeps, Mazdas, Chevys, Fords, Dodges, etc. that were all made in Mexico. Puegeot, Fiat, and Seat seem to sell cheaper maybe because of a bad reputation.

Nissan has a reputation as being the best value for new cars and trucks and Toyota seems to have the reputation of being more expensive for the same thing as a Nissan. Hondas seem to have the reputation of being too pricey for new cars and SUVs but I see many around. A used Ford, Chevy, or Dodge pickup even Toyota or Nissan are very pricey here even 10 to 15 years old ones with high mileage.

The most common SUV here is Mazda and Jeep. The most common car is VW, Clasico, Nissan Tsuru and Tiida.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Jun 23, 2016, 8:47 AM)

YucaLandia

Jun 23, 2016, 8:24 AM

Post #12 of 21 (5796 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] Flying Out, Leaving a TIP vehicle in Mexico

One other twist off those good insights:

I like buying cars from 40-something to 60-something middle-class/upper-middle-class Mexican women.

These women often follow an old Mexican maxim to get rid of a car before 100,000 km.

The USA used to follow that concept, because in the 1950's - 1980's decades, because back-in-the-day cars needed predictable repairs between 70,000 - 125,000 miles ... starters, alternators, brake master cylinders, radiators, auto transmissions etc.

Fortunately, modern good quality cars don't commonly have those break-downs at 70,000-125,000 miles.

The 40-something Mexican middle-class women are generally careful drivers (going gently over topes), and they keep their cars well maintained.

When that woman's old car hits 100,000 km, she often buys a new car... but the dealers offer very little $$ on the trade-in, and the women wind up deciding to sell their used car themselves.

These factors combine to create a class & steady stream of very good used Mexican cars, offered by motivated sellers - frequently Hondas, Toyotas, & Nissans...

modern well-made cars ... that have few mechanical problems for that 100,000 km - 180,000 km window. ... (This logic does NOT apply to VW's et al, because they are not as well made.)

That way you get the nicer used car... at a very fair price... (because the woman bought the car back when the MNX peso was at 12:1 or 13:1).

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Jun 23, 2016, 8:26 AM)

Guero

Jul 19, 2016, 6:36 AM

Post #13 of 21 (5569 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Flying Out, Leaving a TIP vehicle in Mexico

Flew out last week from GDL. Not one word was mentioned about the car in Mexico. My wife is now driving it as I will be here for awhile. She says she will renew by driving to San Antonio to shop. Next up, trying to find a lawyer who can work magic and legalize the non-NAFTA car! Just about anything is possible if you know the right people...

AlanMexicali

Jul 19, 2016, 7:09 AM

Post #14 of 21 (5567 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Flew out last week from GDL. Not one word was mentioned about the car in Mexico. My wife is now driving it as I will be here for awhile. She says she will renew by driving to San Antonio to shop. Next up, trying to find a lawyer who can work magic and legalize the non-NAFTA car! Just about anything is possible if you know the right people...

My impression from reading Expat forums is if you do find a lawyer or anyone else to import your vehicle it will most likely be fraud and when you get Estado de Mexico or DF plates you will be not able to register the vehicle where you live and might even end up losing the vehicle and paying a large fine especially if you are involved in a fatal or really bad traffic accident, your fault or not.. It is defininately a risk to even think about it.

But then some Expats see Mexico as corrupt from the top down and will always tell you this and go ahead and trust corrupt individuals until they lose money or a vehicle to the law and rules. It is impossible to convince these Expats Mexico does most things by the book. Your last sentence appears you also believe the Expats I mentioned above. Those of us who know this way of thinking is 20 years old and even can be a dangerous way of thinking today in modern Mexico.

It is true if you do know a very wealthy and very connected person [ a real player] locally and has a very good reason to help you they are an asset in many ways but what Expat knows even anyone except the local working class types who most likely are the ones who convinced you Mexico is corrupt from the top down, anything is possible with a bribe and donīt trust any government official especially the police in Mexico. LOL

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Jul 19, 2016, 9:28 AM)

chinagringo

Jul 19, 2016, 7:25 AM

Post #15 of 21 (5559 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] Flying Out, Leaving a TIP vehicle in Mexico

Agreed! But it seems that there is always an entitled Gringo who will "play" the system. Hopefully this one will join the ranks of those who get an expensive lesson!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

rvgringo

Jul 19, 2016, 8:47 AM

Post #16 of 21 (5546 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

If you are the one who is the registered owner/importer of the car with the TIP, your wife may have a surprise trying to bring it back into Mexico on a fresh TIP unless she is also on the registration as an owner.
If you believe in Magic, please tell us how to shazam your confiscated vehicle out of government hands, and you out of jail in the event of an accident, etc.......The only magic is that any lawyer you find will certainly be able to make your pesos vanish before the car does.

Guero

Jul 19, 2016, 10:46 PM

Post #17 of 21 (5506 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Flying Out, Leaving a TIP vehicle in Mexico

No need to get surly. My wife is a Mexican citizen, and all the kids are dual. Yes, her name is on title and registration. Yes, my wife's family is well connected. If we can't legalize the Volvo, I'll simply take it to San Antonio, sell it and buy a new Mexican plated car in Aguascalientes. Problem solved. I've been in and out of Mexico for over twenty years now. I've worked there, got married there and have a different perspective. I am not entitled, just know things aren't always written in stone. Just stopped by to ask a question. Guess I'll move on. Mexconnect was much better fifteen years ago without so many judgemental geriatrics!

(This post was edited by Guero on Jul 19, 2016, 11:00 PM)

playaboy

Jul 20, 2016, 7:07 PM

Post #18 of 21 (5451 views)

Shortcut

When the time comes to import, speak with a broker to find out if the car can be imported.

(This post was edited by RickS on Jul 20, 2016, 8:01 PM)

La Isla

Jul 21, 2016, 7:42 AM

Post #19 of 21 (5426 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Mexconnect was much better fifteen years ago without so many judgemental geriatrics!

Someday you may be one of the "judgemental geriatrics" you feel so superior to!

playaboy

Jul 21, 2016, 11:40 AM

Post #20 of 21 (5413 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Flying Out, Leaving a TIP vehicle in Mexico

Maybe the judgemental geriatric should stick to posting things he recently and actually has accomplished, things like having a TIP on his vehicle or importing a vehicle.

Guero

Jul 21, 2016, 12:21 PM

Post #21 of 21 (5408 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Flying Out, Leaving a TIP vehicle in Mexico

Yes Mam, maybe I will. But the way the thread reads, I was just stating the situation I was/am in. I never made rude comments in my postings. It is just about a car! Have a nice day...

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4