Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Judy in Ags

Jun 17, 2016, 5:33 PM

Post #1 of 2 (3224 views)

Shortcut

Leaving Mexico temporarily with Permanent Resident Status

Can't Post | Private Reply
I know there must be an answer to this question here on the forums, but I guess I don't know how to word it concisely in order to get the correct answer.

If a person has permanent residency status, is there a limit on the time that he may spend outside of Mexico and still maintain the PR status? I hope that question makes sense to you.

The situation is that my brother-in-law and his wife have built a house here in Mexico. So far, they have always come on a temporary visa only. Now that the house is finished, they would like to obtain permanent residency status, but live part time in the U.S. where the grandkids are ;) and part time here.

I appreciate your help.

We are loving our permanent residency status. It's so great not having to renew the temporary visa each year!!! We even have our 3rd age card (What's it called?) and get a big break on our property taxes, etc.

rvgringo

Jun 18, 2016, 9:16 AM

Post #2 of 2 (3188 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy in Ags] Leaving Mexico temporarily with Permanent Resident Status

Can't Post | Private Reply
If they get RP status, they can come and go at will. If they consider naturalization in the future, they should keep close track of all entrances and exits, as they will be asked upon application for naturalization & it will be checked for any period outside of Mexico exceeding 18 months in a five year period; I think.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4