Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

skier14

Jun 9, 2016, 1:06 PM

Post #1 of 6 (4935 views)

Shortcut

Drivers License

Can't Post | Private Reply
I just returned with my new Drivers License (renewal) issued in Guadalajara, Jalisco. Biggest problem was getting to the office as big construction projects require many detours. Long lines, but Seniors go to to the front of every line and get a 50% discount. Longest wait was to get a copy of my CURP for 25 pesos. They had some trouble finding this Gringo with only 3 names.
REQUIREMENTS:
Original and 1 copy of,
1. Documento CURP impresso
2. Identificacion official con photograph vigente.
3. Comprobante de domicilio. Must be in your name or someone in the family with documents(original and copy) showing relationship, 90 days or less old.
4. Extranjeros, passport and copy, entrance visa or RT, RP. and copy.
5. Photgraph and fingerprints are taken there.
6. No written or driving exam unless this is your first license. They use a computer multiple choice exam in Spanish and a small driving coutse behind the building with a parallel park. No examiner rides with you. You can use their vehicles (standard shift) or bring your own car (shift or automatic). If automatic, it will be noted on the license that you must use automatic transmission cars.

RuralPuebla

Jun 15, 2016, 7:28 PM

Post #2 of 6 (4764 views)

Shortcut

Re: [skier14] Drivers License

Interesting. A cousin says in Puebla, there is a vision test with numbers that move around. I have no idea what that means.

Also interesting that if you test in an automatic you are restricted to an automatic. Considering I used to drive straight trucks with manual, that seems a nuisance, but if it's the case, so be it. I also drove a gigantic crash rescue truck in the military as well as the usual military vehicles. But, thanks for info on your state.

skier14

Jun 16, 2016, 9:15 AM

Post #3 of 6 (4721 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RuralPuebla] Drivers License

Interestingly when I tested 4 years ago for my first Mexican license, the question on the computer multiple choice exam were only in Spanish and the examiner let a bilingual person help me with the translations. Also when taking the driving test the examiner asked me if I wanted to my car (automatic) it would be OK, but license would have automatic restrictions. Drove around a little track and followed signs and stop light directions and the parallel parked using their stick-shift car. Bye-the-way, a drivers license for a car is not legal for a pick-up.

RuralPuebla

Jun 17, 2016, 9:09 PM

Post #4 of 6 (4665 views)

Shortcut

Re: [skier14] Drivers License

I have to dig up the study guide for Puebla. I think it says in Puebla the license is good up to 8 passenger vehicles. For more, one needs a different license class. But, I also thought I was told the car license covered small pickups, such as the F-150. I do want to know, so will try to remember to check it out.

Also cousins who have their d/l insist there was no driving test at all. I guess I will find out.

Of course, Mexico is a Federal system, so different d/l rules in different states are at least possible.

YucaLandia

Jun 20, 2016, 8:02 AM

Post #5 of 6 (4618 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RuralPuebla] Drivers License

Each Mexican state sets their own Rules of the Road.

When expats & tourists post universal statements about things like - who is allowed to drive which vehicle with a 'Mexican driver's license' - it likely applied to just their personal understanding (or misunderstanding) of their past personal experience in their own state.

Each reader interested in driving a pickup truck should check with their own state's current DMV rules on licensing requirements.

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Jun 20, 2016, 8:02 AM)

RuralPuebla

Jun 23, 2016, 9:10 PM

Post #6 of 6 (4509 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Drivers License

Exactly my point, but you said it so much better. Thanks.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4