Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

anthony3070

Jun 4, 2016, 10:34 AM

Post #1 of 16 (7725 views)

Shortcut

Permanent Resident card with new passport

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have a residente permanente card that I obtained in Mexico in 2013. I've been in the USA for the last year and had to get a new passport (old one tied to my mexican residency card expired).

I'm flying to Guadalajara in a couple months and am curious how this situation is handled. Do I just bring my old passport with me? Also, it is doubtful that I'll be living in Mexico for the foreseeable future, can I surrender my PR card at the airport and enter as a tourist? In fact, seeing as my new passport is a different number, should I just enter as a tourist and say nothing? -- or is that asking for problems?

I'm not worried about getting a new PR card in the future as I have a Mexican wife and kids (I meet the requirements via family).

Thanks

RuralPuebla

Jun 4, 2016, 10:53 AM

Post #2 of 16 (7720 views)

Shortcut

Re: [anthony3070] Permanent Resident card with new passport

While I am not an expert on this topic, I did get my PR in April, and i was told it was PERMANENT! Period.

I think it is an immigration crime to come in as anything other than a PR when you have one. No one has ever mentioned a need to change the PR based on a new US passport. Show your PR and your new Passport and you should be able to waltz in. If you got a half-slip when you left, I don't know if they had that in effect at the time you left, produce it, too.

If you want to bring the old passport, just don't show it unless they ask you to. it is not a valid document once it expires.

WE have had others who wondered if they shouldn't surrender their PR card? Makes no sense to me. The only reason I could see to turn it in is if you have such a bad experience in Mexico you don't want any connection with the country.

As far as getting another one, who can guarantee they won't change the rules again in the future? Requiring a minimum income you may not have? Just saying.

A PR is to me a valuable right and should be treated with extreme pride. That is my opinion and other people may disagree.

anthony3070

Jun 4, 2016, 10:57 AM

Post #3 of 16 (7717 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RuralPuebla] Permanent Resident card with new passport

Thank you.

The only reason I'm considering surrendering the card is the fact that I don't live there anymore. I don't want any problems when I visit once a year. If me retaining the card is above board in this situation, then yeah, I will absolutely be keeping it.

rvgringo

Jun 4, 2016, 11:48 AM

Post #4 of 16 (7706 views)

Shortcut

Just keep your permanent visa and use it. There is no reason to surrender it.

mcm

Jun 5, 2016, 12:31 PM

Post #5 of 16 (7627 views)

Shortcut

Regarding retaining your Permanent REsident status if you're no longer living in Mexico -- when you got the card, you agreed to notify Immigration if your address changed, or any other change in status. So, to be in compliance with the law, it would seem to me that you need to notify immigration that you are no longer residing at the same address, and if your new address is outside Mexico...
In other words, the PR status is permanent, but any changes in your living situation are supposed to be reported to Immigration.

AlanMexicali

Jun 5, 2016, 12:51 PM

Post #6 of 16 (7625 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
While I am not an expert on this topic, I did get my PR in April, and i was told it was PERMANENT! Period.

I think it is an immigration crime to come in as anything other than a PR when you have one. No one has ever mentioned a need to change the PR based on a new US passport. Show your PR and your new Passport and you should be able to waltz in. If you got a half-slip when you left, I don't know if they had that in effect at the time you left, produce it, too.

If you want to bring the old passport, just don't show it unless they ask you to. it is not a valid document once it expires.

WE have had others who wondered if they shouldn't surrender their PR card? Makes no sense to me. The only reason I could see to turn it in is if you have such a bad experience in Mexico you don't want any connection with the country.

As far as getting another one, who can guarantee they won't change the rules again in the future? Requiring a minimum income you may not have? Just saying.

A PR is to me a valuable right and should be treated with extreme pride. That is my opinion and other people may disagree.

When you are a legal resident of Mexico they donīt need to see your US passport only your RT or RP visa/card.

RuralPuebla

Jun 15, 2016, 7:18 PM

Post #7 of 16 (7439 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] Permanent Resident card with new passport

Just so you know, I had the RT for two years on Family Unity before getting permanent residence. Each time I crossed in and out at Anzalduas bridge, west of Reynosa, they did take my US passport and stamped in it, in addition to looking at the card itself. I do not know if that is normal. I can only report what happens to me

mayamex15

Jul 15, 2016, 10:45 PM

Post #8 of 16 (7133 views)

Shortcut

This has been my case at a variety of crossings. Most the time they have no idea what to do. I have never had the exact same thing happen twice, however they almost always stamp it. The last time, the INM official just said I was good and waved me through. But most the time they scan the card and stamp the passport. the airport in MEX seems to be the "best" in terms of knowledge on what to do

YucaLandia

Jul 19, 2016, 4:48 PM

Post #9 of 16 (6922 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mcm] Permanent Resident card with new passport

In Reply To
Regarding retaining your Permanent REsident status if you're no longer living in Mexico -- when you got the card, you agreed to notify Immigration if your address changed, or any other change in status. So, to be in compliance with the law, it would seem to me that you need to notify immigration that you are no longer residing at the same address, and if your new address is outside Mexico...
In other words, the PR status is permanent, but any changes in your living situation are supposed to be reported to Immigration.

Our INM office says 'No' : INM is concerned about foreigner's addresses inside Mexico. We do not need to notify them of our foreign addresses nor about changes in our foreign addresses.
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

mcm

Jul 20, 2016, 10:40 AM

Post #10 of 16 (6886 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Permanent Resident card with new passport

So, you are saying that once you have a Permanent Resident card, INM does not need to know that you are no longer living at the Mexican address recorded in their office? I understand that INM does not keep any record of foreign addresses, but don't they require that Permanent Residents inform them of a current address in Mexico? If that's the case, I wonder why Permanent Residents are told to report change of address to the INM office?

RickS

Jul 20, 2016, 11:27 AM

Post #11 of 16 (6880 views)

Shortcut

"Our INM office says 'No' : INM is concerned about foreigner's addresses inside Mexico. We do not need to notify them of our foreign (meaning to me NOB) addresses nor about changes in our foreign (NOB) addresses."

Maybe I'm reading his response wrong, but to me he is saying that, yes, one must keep INM updated on your changes of address within Mexico.... just not your (now) foreign (NOB) address.

YucaLandia

Jul 21, 2016, 7:07 AM

Post #12 of 16 (6832 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
So, you are saying that once you have a Permanent Resident card, INM does not need to know that you are no longer living at the Mexican address recorded in their office? I understand that INM does not keep any record of foreign addresses, but don't they require that Permanent Residents inform them of a current address in Mexico? If that's the case, I wonder why Permanent Residents are told to report change of address to the INM office?

mcm is trying to add a requirement that is not in the law and not the manual.

mcm is trying to say that ... INM's rule for reporting every address change within 60 days applies to RPs living outside Mexico.

Example: When a foreigner on an RP visa who temporarily rents an apartment in Mexico, abandons that apartment and leaves Mexico: mcm believes that foreigner must report within 60 days to INM all their subsequent foreign addresses, until they return to Mexico.

Our local INM offiice staff say: The INM 60 day reporting rule applies only to RP visa holder moves from one Mexican address to another.

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

chinagringo

Jul 21, 2016, 7:41 AM

Post #13 of 16 (6827 views)

Shortcut

And if one lives in another jurisdiction where the INM officials interpret it differently?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

mcm

Jul 21, 2016, 12:14 PM

Post #14 of 16 (6801 views)

Shortcut

MCM is ''trying'' to clarify a situation that wasn't clear to her. Really. Please don't be snarky in your responses; it inhibits discussion.
I did NOT say, nor do I think, that a foreign address must be reported. It occurred to me that there was a gap, or inconsistency in my understanding of reporting requirements. My QUESTION is how one keeps one's INM record up to date (regarding MEXICAN place of residence) if one doesn't have a Mexican address. From your response, it appears that you recommend that the RP just leave the old address as the address of record.

YucaLandia

Jul 21, 2016, 4:38 PM

Post #15 of 16 (6786 views)

Shortcut

oooops. I misunderstood your statement

I read:
.... "you need to notify immigration that you are no longer residing at the same address, and if your new address is outside Mexico...

"

I did not realize that you asked a question, my error.

For RP visa holders leaving Mexico, the person at the info booth in our Merida INM office interpreted the INM rules to require that you report changes in your Mexican address .

We are not required to report cancellations nor ends of leases, and we're not required to go to our local INM to pre-report departures from Mexico.

When we change something, like changing cars, there is a new something (e.g. new-different car) involved. As I understood them:

......... When we have left one Mexican address but have no new Mexican address, then we have not yet changed our Mexican address.
.... Our Mexican address changes when we get the new Mexican address.

Hope that makes sense.

Re China's question:
In 4 years since the 2012 INM rule changes were published, we have not seen a single report from around Mexico from any foreigners on expat-forums... about any INM office ever requiring RP or RT foreigners to report that they have left their current Mexican address to return home for a while. ...

When something has never come up in 4 years, it could mean that it's a non-issue ? ?

Me? I would stick with the existing law & rules that say "cambios'... and neither add, nor take-away things.

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Jul 21, 2016, 6:11 PM)

YucaLandia

Jul 22, 2016, 11:21 AM

Post #16 of 16 (6734 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Regarding retaining your Permanent REsident status if you're no longer living in Mexico -- when you got the card, you agreed to notify Immigration if your address changed, or any other change in status. So, to be in compliance with the law, it would seem to me that

you need to notify immigration that you are no longer residing at the same address, and if your new address is outside Mexico...

In other words, the PR status is permanent, but any changes in your living situation are supposed to be reported to Immigration

Just to make sure I understood the last 3 years of INM rules, I just talked with the top 'Information' INM supervisor in our Merida INM office:

~ They assured me that Residente Permanente and Residente Temporal visa holders do NOT report an address change when they leave a 'home' in Mexico.

~ They said RT & RP foreigners ONLY report the change of address when the foreigner moves into a new location inside Mexico.

~ They said RP & RT foreigners are supposed to first move into their new Mexican home address, and then within 90 days, return to their local INM office, and report the new address.

~ They said this has been the rule for all INM offices across Mexico since 2012.

Hopefully, this information stamps out any rumors that are circulating based on the speculations proposed above.

Enjoy the Weekend ... and Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Jul 22, 2016, 11:25 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4