Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

tejolot3

Jun 1, 2016, 9:28 AM

Post #1 of 21 (14778 views)

Shortcut

Using a camp stove while traveling

Can't Post | Private Reply
In a couple of months, I'll be on a trip to Mexico that includes several days of camping away from any services, and we're considering bringing a camp stove to use in cooking on those days. I've read that propane connections are not threaded the same in Mexico as they are here in the States, and also that the small tanks I'm used to using with a stove are hard to come by in stores.

Is it permitted to bring propane bottles into Mexico by car? I seem to remember seeing a prohibition of flammable liquids at some point, yet the list of permitted items specifically includes camping equipment and accessories. Buying the bottles here in advance of travel seems like it would be an easier proposition than trying to hunt down the right ones in Mexico in transit (Monclova will be the only city we drive through that's large enough to have a Home Depot and Wal-Mart), but I wouldn't want to be caught trying to cross the border with propane if propane is prohibited.

Could someone please enlighten me?

rvgringo

Jun 1, 2016, 9:45 AM

Post #2 of 21 (14774 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tejolot3] Using a camp stove while traveling

It sounds like you are talking about the small disposable propane bottles. If so, they will be almost impossible to find.
I really suggest that you consider either charcoal or a simple Coleman gasoline stove, etc. Either of those fuels are everywhere.

tejolot3

Jun 1, 2016, 1:31 PM

Post #3 of 21 (14754 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Using a camp stove while traveling

Except then we'd either have to buy a gasoline stove or build a barbecue grill. One member of our group works for a propane company here in Kansas, so finding adapters and hoses ahead of time will be no problem, but that's assuming we could find bottles along the way.

Is camping propane something as person can drive with across the border, or not? Anyone know?

sparks

Jun 1, 2016, 2:00 PM

Post #4 of 21 (14751 views)

Shortcut

The tall propane bottles used by plumbers to solder copper pipe are readily available. Don't know anything about the threads

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

chinagringo

Jun 1, 2016, 2:35 PM

Post #5 of 21 (14745 views)

Shortcut

Since we haven't been driving across the border for a number of years, I haven't paid that close attention but at the height of the "drug/cartel wars", customs officals and military in Mexico were paying particular attention to propane tanks. Seems that they were ideal containers for smuggling assorted powders. Removal of valve assemblies made for easy inspection. We transported a number of new gas grills down for Mexico residents but never took tanks across the border.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

playaboy

Jun 2, 2016, 5:25 AM

Post #6 of 21 (14718 views)

Shortcut

Propane connections have been standard for the most part. I have made hoses to fit my old Colman and Weber BBQ's to large propane bottles.

It is very easy to get 20 liter (5 gal) propane bottles. Just have a longer hose, 10 foot is good, that connects the regulator on the BBQ to the bottle. The fitting for the bottle should be the older style standard POL fitting or a combo POL/OPD fitting. These are "left on" threads.There are few OPD style tanks in MX. Your friend should know what I am talking about.

donemry

Jun 2, 2016, 6:29 AM

Post #7 of 21 (14713 views)

Shortcut

The small propane bottles from Coleman can be found at WalMart's in Mexico.

chicois8

Jun 2, 2016, 8:25 AM

Post #8 of 21 (14695 views)

Shortcut

The OP writes:
In a couple of months, I'll be on a trip to Mexico that includes several days of camping away from any services,

I was curious what route and areas you are thinking about camping in? With the young hitchhiker missing last week and the 2 surfers murdered when they were off the beaten track, bushwhacking might not be the best idea.........
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

RuralPuebla

Jun 2, 2016, 12:13 PM

Post #9 of 21 (14680 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Using a camp stove while traveling

The risk aversion of different people varies considerably. Mexico has around 100 million people, roughly one third the population of the USA. Just on Memorial Day weekend, nearly 70 people were shot just in Chicago.

chinagringo

Jun 2, 2016, 12:54 PM

Post #10 of 21 (14674 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RuralPuebla] Using a camp stove while traveling

Why bring Chicago into the discussion? Last time I checked, Chicago isn't in Mexico and who made any comments about visiting Chicago? Rationalizing by pointing fingers at another location is a very poor discussion and has zero validity!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

tejolot3

Jun 2, 2016, 4:04 PM

Post #11 of 21 (14665 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Using a camp stove while traveling

It is entirely appropriate to bring up a location for the purpose of comparison, although it's preferable to use crime rates rather than absolute numbers. I routinely compare crime rates in various places in México to various places in the USA when addressing people's concerns about traveling to México. The number of homicides in Chicago may not directly relate, but the point he was making remains: crimes happen in all corners of the world, and not everyone is quick to dismiss an entire region as unsafe because of a couple of news stories. That's enough about that, end rant.

In answer to the actual question, however, we'll be in or just outside of a very small community in the southern portion of Municipio Parras, Coahuila, on the other side of the mountains from Parras itself. We'll be doing some mission work alongside a few people we know from Parras, at their invitation. We're quite familiar with Parras; the entire municipio has seen fewer than five homicides in the last ten years, which gives it a crime rate a good deal lower than several towns its size right here in Kansas.

But where we'll be staying is a few hours of unpaved roads away from any services, and we are planning to be as little of a burden as possible to our friends' friend there. The folks there have very little food, and a few years ago their water tower even ran dry and they had to draw water from the estanque along with the animals. Being self-sufficient while there is our goal.

As for driving route, we cross at Acuña, but there is no Home Depot or Walmart there; the only ones along our route are in Monclova. Finding American-style hardware is difficult at the hardware store in Parras itself; believe me, I've tried in the past.

RuralPuebla

Jun 4, 2016, 10:36 AM

Post #12 of 21 (14617 views)

Shortcut

For people in the USA to talk about danger in Mexico is often xenophobia at its extreme. Someone commented how dangerous it was for the poster to go to an isolated place based on three, count 'em, 1, 2, 3, murders in a population of 100 million as if that made every square inch of the nation dangerous to all tourists.

Yet, in their own country, just in one long weekend, there were 69 shootings in just one city.

And, you dare to decree I cannot say that? That I have no credibility because I put it into perspective? There is a "how dare you" here, but it is not mine.

The good news here is you are not a moderator.

I would not be afraid to go with OP to where he is going, if I had an interest. That is probably a major part of why I live in Mexico and you live in the USA, right?

You see fear and danger in every part of Mexico. I see the most wonderful people I have known in all my life and want to live here until I die, then I want to rest in a local cemetery near my wife's aunt and uncle.

chinagringo

Jun 4, 2016, 5:19 PM

Post #13 of 21 (14596 views)

Shortcut

Whoa Rural:

Please go back and reread the posts as I made no claims as to how safe or unsafe that particular region was! My stated objection was using crime statistics from a US city to rationalize the situation in Mexico. This was a tactic used at the height of the Cartel Wars to rationalize or minimize what was going on by Mexico residents to offset the damages being done by the media. Lets look at it in a different view: say I was going to visit relatives in Washington DC and questioned how safe it would be? At that point, a resident of Washington DC might say it is safe in comparison to the States of Guererro or Tamaulipus. Such a rationalization would leave me scratching my head.

As for safety and risk tolerance in Mexico, we have been making a minimum of two trips each year and each of those trips has involved driving throughout various areas of Central and Southern Mexico. My "risk accessment" involves doing my due diligence on what the recent news is out of each area and has nada to do with how many shooting we wake up to on the news each morning here in Albuquerque because that simply isn't relevant. It so happens that certain parts of Michoacan happens to be one of our favorites but the "painting with a broad brush" has been unfair to the State and its people!

While I am on my soapbox, I might as well go on record as being disgusted by high and mighty people from one country heading to another to teach people the error of their ways!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

RuralPuebla

Jun 4, 2016, 6:20 PM

Post #14 of 21 (14593 views)

Shortcut

Let me say in plain English, China, that frankly I don't care much what you think. You in a rather caustic and abrasive manner take us all to task for things you don't like, even though they are not your business. For example, comparing stats from places in the USA to Mexico DOES MAKE SENSE, as another poster also ageed. You don't think so, that is your problem, not ours. You are of course entitled to state your opinion, but when your opinion crosses the line and becomes personal attack, or discourages free and polite discussion, that is out of line.

If a moderator tells me something is forum policy, or even just his personal opinion, that does mean something to me. And, I will learn. But, you are not a moderator and do not have the right to decree what we can post. The moderator does a very good job of letting us know when he doesn't like something.

And, your final comment in bold makes no sense to me. You make vague insulting remarks but do not bother to say to whom you are speaking. And, I am certainly not guilty of that. That is why I have so many friends here. Mexican people can tell almost instantly who respects them and who does not, and they know I respect them.

(This post was edited by RuralPuebla on Jun 4, 2016, 6:21 PM)

chinagringo

Jun 4, 2016, 6:41 PM

Post #15 of 21 (14589 views)

Shortcut

Critical Thinking 101: if you haven't posted about going on missions, then I guess my comments are not directed towards yourself?

Beyond that: it is pretty obvious that I don't agree with rationalizing what is happening in Mexico by pointing fingers at Chicago. That reminds me of the convoluted thinking a certain politician might exhibit and he certainly isn't getting any respect from me. I especially thought the moving by the PGA of the Doral Open to Mexico City to be quite fitting. And I especially enjoyed the comment by Rory McIllroy, the Scottish Professional that: "We'll just jump over the wall,"!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

tonyburton

Jun 4, 2016, 7:25 PM

Post #16 of 21 (14586 views)

Shortcut

Rory McIlroy is Northern Irish.

tejolot3

Jun 4, 2016, 7:34 PM

Post #17 of 21 (14585 views)

Shortcut

Geez, I'm not all that concerned if total strangers respect or abhor the work my family and friends have been doing in México (for the record, I don't believe I've actually stated what sort of work we do there, except that our travel this year is at the invitation of local Mexican Christians in Parras who specifically requested I lead a team to work alongside them there). Nor am I enamored of the neverending debate about crime and safety in Mexico; I've been studying the issue and having this debate for going on eight years now, and I'm weary of it. I didn't start this thread to find out people's religious beliefs or to ask their opinions as to the prudence of traveling to México. Rather, I was hoping to find some information on the practicality of bringing a propane camp stove across the border by car.

To what level must we fall?

chinagringo

Jun 4, 2016, 8:05 PM

Post #18 of 21 (14583 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Using a camp stove while traveling

Thanks Tony! Next time I will check all my stated details.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

slainte39

Jun 4, 2016, 10:15 PM

Post #19 of 21 (14578 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Using a camp stove while traveling

He has been known to waffle or flip flop a bit. Sometime he plays the UK card and sometimes the Irish card. Never the "Scottish/Scotch" card. LOL But being where he is from that is perfectly legal.
Maybe CG was thinking of Andy Murray...he hits little white balls around,

RickS

Jun 5, 2016, 6:39 AM

Post #20 of 21 (14570 views)

Shortcut

OK.... now back to the OP's subject line.... camp stove use while traveling, or lack thereof.

tejolot3

Aug 12, 2016, 3:37 PM

Post #21 of 21 (13861 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Using a camp stove while traveling

In case anyone was interested in knowing the outcome...

It ended up that our ministry partner in Parras was in possession of a grill-sized propane bottle, so we were able to simply fill it up at the Gas Imperial (cue delivery truck music), haul it down into the desert, and hook it up to the stove while we were there. My friend had made an adapter out of parts from his employer's shop in case we needed it, but we didn't have to use it.

Thank you all for your help, though. The post about how the threading is different was especially helpful.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4