Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

RuralPuebla

May 28, 2016, 2:57 PM

Post #1 of 7 (5061 views)

Shortcut

Gas tanks on the roof

Can't Post | Private Reply
We installed two gas tanks on the roof of our house. One for water heater; the other one for kitchen range.

The problem is the little plastic pressure adjuster cap gets rotten from the sunlight and this lets gas escape

So far suggestions are brute force treatment. My builder would like to build little houses over each gas tank. The gas man suggested putting on a second floor. As in, yeah, you betcha! Spend hundreds of dollars for a stupid, poorly designed $7 gas regulator? No, I don't think so.

I realize I can find a solution, but on forums like this one would normally expect a really clever person who actually found a really great solution to a problem like this. Which would save me from having to find a really great solution, jijiji. Thanks for any useful tips on this issue.

YucaLandia

May 29, 2016, 8:20 AM

Post #2 of 7 (4992 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RuralPuebla] Gas tanks on the roof

We've had exactly the same problem with plastic on water heater regulators... plastic valves... etc...

It turns out that ordinary 1 gal bleach bottles are made of really tough plastic ... that blocks UV... for years.

If you cut the bleach bottle to make a hat that completely covers the plastic part... you can protect it for years..

Depending on wind, you may have to poke holes into the side of the bleach bottle to wire it into place...

If you want extra protection... belt AND suspenders ... cover the plastic part with aluminum foil first... and then install the bleach-jug 'hat'...

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

YucaLandia

May 29, 2016, 8:21 AM

Post #3 of 7 (4990 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Gas tanks on the roof

If that looks to obviously-tacky... paint the jug...
-
Read-on MacDuff

RuralPuebla

May 29, 2016, 8:49 AM

Post #4 of 7 (4985 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Gas tanks on the roof

Gosh, that is exactly the sort of great solution I was hoping for. I would have never thought of a bleach container as being uv resistant.

Yes, I can see exactly how to do it. You can cut and drill plastic as you wish.

Actually, these regulators are for water heater and stove. Due to earthquake risk, as low as it is (last big one was 1999) I preferred not to run copper tubing around the roof from one big tank, so we mounted the individual gas tanks where they would be used and ran copper tubing just where it had to go. So, the regulator is exactly the same one.

Nice!!!!

RuralPuebla

May 30, 2016, 6:43 PM

Post #5 of 7 (4873 views)

Shortcut

All I could find were 2L bottles of Cloralex. I don't know if the plastic will be the same or not. But, I cut off a section just long enough to touch the tank under the regulator; cut two slits wide enough to let it sit down on the copper gas tubing; burned two holes on each side for wire, put a piece of aluminum foil under, and tied that sucker down with what they call burned wire; looks like 'balin' war'.

Now to see how long the 2L plastic lasts. We do live in the mountains, so there are at times stiff gusts.

My wife liked how it looked when it was done as far as being sturdy.

Thanks again.

RuralPuebla

May 30, 2016, 9:02 PM

Post #6 of 7 (4858 views)

Shortcut

More details. The 2 L bottles said HDPE 2 on the bottom. High density polyurethane. Google showed me pages that said HDPE resists weathering, thus is used for items in patios, which implies outdoors day and night perhaps for years.

So, I am confident that the 2 L bottles are just as durable as the bigger ones. Good deal! Thanks again for tip.

Gotta' wonder how much more it would cost them to use HDPE for that adjuster piece on the regulator.

YucaLandia

May 31, 2016, 11:08 PM

Post #7 of 7 (4787 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
More details. The 2 L bottles said HDPE 2 on the bottom. High density polyurethane. Google showed me pages that said HDPE resists weathering, thus is used for items in patios, which implies outdoors day and night perhaps for years.

Gotta' wonder how much more it would cost them to use HDPE for that adjuster piece on the regulator.

amen ...
-
Read-on MacDuff

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4