Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

mexigrl

May 27, 2016, 10:25 PM

Post #1 of 11 (8805 views)

Shortcut

TIP Permit - Car with Lienholder

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hola,

I have a signed, dated, and notarized letter from the Credit Union Vice President that I have permission to take my vehicle to Mexico for 6 months. That is what is required according to everything i read. However, having lived off/on in Mexico for 30 years I'm still concerned.

I'm wondering if anyone else has done this recently (I'm crossing in NL) and had any issues?

I have not read where it needs an apostille and I leave in just over a week so if I do I'd better get on it. Also, it's a simple letter, 3 lines with permission, but it is in English. Should I ask the bank to also do a Spanish version?

Any thoughts or recent experience would be helpful!

Thank you

Laurianne

NorthAmericanTraveler

Jun 3, 2016, 6:46 PM

Post #2 of 11 (8738 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mexigrl] TIP Permit - Car with Lienholder

I wouldn't even show them the letter unless they specifically ask for it. Just give them the following 4 things and they will most likely give you a permit.

1) Vehicle Registration (plus 1 copy)
2) Drivers License (plus 1 copy)
3) Passport (plus 1 copy)
4) FMM (plus 1 copy)

tejolot3

Jun 4, 2016, 4:15 AM

Post #3 of 11 (8721 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mexigrl] TIP Permit - Car with Lienholder

I believe it has been brought up on the forum before that nobody has actually been able to come up any written proof that a letter of permission is required. It appears to be an urban legend started in the US.

I used to obtain one for each trip, and then I stopped. Nobody at the border ever paid it any mind when I would show it to them. Well, actually, there was ONE time it came in handy: I had mistakenly grabbed the previous year's registration slip instead of the current one, and the border agent accepted the letter of permission as proof of good standing (though I doubt anyone else should count on that same good fortune).

Last year, our friends who were traveling with us drove an SUV they'd just bought three months earlier, no problem getting a TIP.

AlanMexicali

Jun 4, 2016, 5:48 AM

Post #4 of 11 (8720 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tejolot3] TIP Permit - Car with Lienholder

In Reply To
I believe it has been brought up on the forum before that nobody has actually been able to come up any written proof that a letter of permission is required. It appears to be an urban legend started in the US.

http://www.sat.gob.mx/aduanas/vehiculos/importacion_temporal/Paginas/automoviles.aspx

Google Translation:

"SAT> Customs> Vehicles> Temporary importation of vehicles> Cars

automobiles

With temporary import permit issued by Banjercito

Who can perform the procedure

Foreigners or permanent residents Mexicans abroad, as well as those that accredit work abroad for a year or more.

requirements

1.Proof of Mexicans living abroad, as well as proving work abroad for a year or more, must submit for this purpose, the document issued by the immigration authorities of the foreign country that accredits them as permanent or temporary residents abroad, or the express permission of the competent authority of the country that gives them the quality of service according to international agreements to which Mexico is a party.

2.Proof of foreigners condition of stay of visitors, temporary resident and temporary resident student may temporarily import a single vehicle for such purposes must present their valid passport or passport card (passport card) and the official document issued by the immigration authorities .

3. The applicant must prove the ownership or possession of the vehicle to be imported temporarily for such purposes must present any of the following documents in original and copy:

• title or current registration plates accrediting them as owners of the vehicle, issued by the competent authority of the foreign country.

• lease contract on behalf of the importer, with the letter of the lessor to authorize the temporary importation of the vehicle.

• Credit agreement on behalf of the importer.

• A document certifying the legal relationship of the importer and the document evidencing ownership of the vehicle by the company.

Testify under oath, they commit to return the vehicle in question, within the authorized term and not perform acts or omissions that configure offenses or crimes by misuse or destination."

It is in the SAT/Banjercito rules that proof and a letter from the creditor [possibly notorized] that allows the vehicle to be in Mexico, not an urban legend started by foreigners. Sorry!

Titles have the owner of the vehicle [company or bank etc.] on them along with the person who has bought the vehicle on credit or has leased the vehicle. So does vehicle registrations from each US state or province of Canada.

If the Mexican agent processing the TIP misses this then OK. If he/she doesn´t then you need the letter to enter Mexico from the lender or leaser and bill of sale and lease agreement to get a TIP.

Over the years posters here have referenced this rule and webpage several times. I have done it myself before when asked about getting a TIP by another poster. It is hard to fool some posters on this particular forum.

(This post was edited by RickS on Jun 4, 2016, 7:07 AM)

tejolot3

Jun 4, 2016, 7:44 AM

Post #5 of 11 (8699 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] TIP Permit - Car with Lienholder

In Reply To
http://www.sat.gob.mx/aduanas/vehiculos/importacion_temporal/Paginas/automoviles.aspx

El interesado deberá acreditar la propiedad o posesión del vehículo que se pretende importar temporalmente, debiendo presentar para tales efectos cualquiera de los siguientes documentos en original y copia simple:
Título de propiedad o registro de placas vigente que los acredite como propietarios del vehículo, emitido por la autoridad competente del país extranjero.
Contrato de arrendamiento a nombre del importador, con la carta de la arrendadora que autorice la importación temporal del vehículo.
Contrato de crédito a nombre del importador.
Documento que acredite la relación laboral del importador y el documento que acredite la propiedad del vehículo por parte de la empresa.

Thank you for that link!

It may very well have been another website where I read nobody had been able to produce a legal requirement for the letter of authorization, but a quick Google search isn't helping me figure out what site that was.

The only point that seems to apply would be "credit agreement on behalf of the importer" (contrato de crédito a nombre del importador), since generally people aren't crossing the border with leased or company vehicles. However, the phrase "cualquiera de los siguientes documentos" to me means either/or, not both/and. Is my Spanish lacking in that translation? I realize that would mean that a letter from bank would be accepted in lieu of registration slip, which seems dubious to me but would explain exactly why I could cross the border with an expired registration slip but a recent letter from the bank a few years ago.

Are people actually being asked to show a bill of sale to get a TIP? I had never heard of the requirements going that far, and I've crossed the border multiple times in a car I was making payments on, without even knowing where our vehicle's bill of sale was.

(This post was edited by tejolot3 on Jun 4, 2016, 7:56 AM)

Mexicanbill

Jun 13, 2016, 4:13 PM

Post #6 of 11 (8573 views)

Shortcut

We have always taken a letter with us however the last 2 times we entered Mexico the bank letter had only allowed us 2 months in the letter. When getting the sticker we handed them the letter along with all other required papers. They glanced at the letter and gave us a 180day sticker both times. The letter from the bank did not seem to mean anything as we had all the other papers needed.
Chef William aka MexicanBill

tejolot3

Jul 23, 2016, 6:40 AM

Post #7 of 11 (8052 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

El interesado deberá acreditar la propiedad o posesión del vehículo que se pretende importar temporalmente, debiendo presentar para tales efectos cualquiera de los siguientes documentos en original y copia simple:
Título de propiedad o registro de placas vigente que los acredite como propietarios del vehículo, emitido por la autoridad competente del país extranjero.
Contrato de arrendamiento a nombre del importador, con la carta de la arrendadora que autorice la importación temporal del vehículo.
Contrato de crédito a nombre del importador.
Documento que acredite la relación laboral del importador y el documento que acredite la propiedad del vehículo por parte de la empresa.

The only point that seems to apply would be "credit agreement on behalf of the importer" (contrato de crédito a nombre del importador), since generally people aren't crossing the border with leased or company vehicles. However, the phrase "cualquiera de los siguientes documentos" to me means either/or, not both/and. Is my Spanish lacking in that translation? I realize that would mean that a letter from bank would be accepted in lieu of registration slip, which seems dubious to me but would explain exactly why I could cross the border with an expired registration slip but a recent letter from the bank a few years ago.

Are people actually being asked to show a bill of sale to get a TIP? I had never heard of the requirements going that far, and I've crossed the border multiple times in a car I was making payments on, without even knowing where our vehicle's bill of sale was.

Is there anyone who can provide further clarification on this question I raised? Does "cualquiera" not mean either/or?

I have personally obtained a TIP with the following, all within the last seven years:
(1) Title but no registration slip,
(2) Current registration slip but no title and no bank letter,
(3) Bank letter but no title and no current registration slip.

Although I have never crossed the border in a leased or company vehicle, my personal experience suggests that only 1 of the above documents must be provided in order to satisfy the SAT requirement, not multiple documents. I have also never read or heard a single first-hand account of someone who was still making loan payments being turned away at the border for lack of a bank letter.

And, for what it's worth, I realize now that it was Mexico Mike's website on which I had read he wasn't convinced the bank letter was an actual requirement. It wasn't this forum.

chicois8

Jul 23, 2016, 6:57 AM

Post #8 of 11 (8047 views)

Shortcut

When I crossed many years ago and bought insurance before you could buy online I was asked by the insurance agent for the owner letter......
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

chinagringo

Jul 23, 2016, 7:07 AM

Post #9 of 11 (8046 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] TIP Permit - Car with Lienholder

Years back, the Mexican Consulate in Albuquerque, NM always required a letter from FORD Finance before issuing a TIP on our financed Windstar. As with all things, policies may have changed?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

tejolot3

Jul 23, 2016, 7:21 AM

Post #10 of 11 (8045 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] TIP Permit - Car with Lienholder

In Reply To
When I crossed many years ago and bought insurance before you could buy online I was asked by the insurance agent for the owner letter......

That's funny. Nowadays, many banks require proof of Mexican insurance before issuing the letter of permission. Backwards from the way it was for you!

tejolot3

Aug 12, 2016, 3:32 PM

Post #11 of 11 (7822 views)

Shortcut

Well, chalk up one more border crossing with no letter of permission from the bank, the Sunday before last at the Allende facility (having come down from Acuna). This time it was with a vehicle that had just been purchased three weeks before traveling to Mexico. Registration slip was sufficient, as always. The owner (we were traveling in two vehicles, and I own mine outright) had obtained the letter just in case, but he was never asked to provide one.

(And this agent was a stickler for the rules, as evidenced by the fact that she was the first one to have ever had me designate a beneficiary on the import paper. When I asked if it was a new requirement, she said it had always been required but other agents had simply been neglecting it.)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4