Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

gabrielin

May 27, 2016, 10:09 AM

Post #1 of 6 (5332 views)

Shortcut

Permission to Leave - Residente Temporal

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello Amigos,

I have a question. First, my mom (Nancy) had a heart attack so I would appreciate if anyone could send their thoughts and prayers her way. She is such a great person who puts others before herself.

Now, I have my Residente Temporal visa which doesn't expire until July (hopefully I won't be out there that long), but I heard a rumor that I have to request permission from INM just to leave the country. Is this true? Or is this just when tramites are being processed? Because I live in Mexico City and I'd prefer not to have to go to INM as they take hours just to get to a window. Also, I'd likely fly out tomorrow and INM isn't open on weekends.

I appreciate any advice that you all can offer. Take care.

-Gabriel

rvgringo

May 27, 2016, 10:44 AM

Post #2 of 6 (5323 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gabrielin] Permission to Leave - Residente Temporal

There is no problem. Just leave at your convenience and return when you can. Keep all your travel documents, tickets, receipts and notes on your mother‘s hospitalization, etc. If you return a bit after your visa expires, go to INM immediately and state your case. Or, you might even be able to get some advice from a Mexican consulate in the USA while you are there; letting them know that you might return late, and that you do not want to lose your Residente Temporal status. I think there is a way to do this in cases of emergency and I am sure someone will post the procedure for you to read in the next few days. Good luck and best wishes for your mother‘s recovery.

gabrielin

May 27, 2016, 10:54 AM

Post #3 of 6 (5318 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Permission to Leave - Residente Temporal

Thank you very much for clarifying that. I appreciate your advice because I may have to fly out there tomorrow morning and I couldn't find a definitive answer searching Google or the forums. Take care.

-Gabriel

rvgringo

May 27, 2016, 11:27 AM

Post #4 of 6 (5306 views)

Shortcut

I just found this comment on another site:

What to do if your INM permit expires while you are outside Mexico
We are given a 55 day grace period to return to Mexico , if our INM Residente Temporal Permit expires while we are outside of Mexico. Return to Mexico within 55 days of the expiration date and renew your visa. Foreigners whose Residente Temporal Permit’s expire while they are outside Mexico may be assessed regularizacion fees/penalties for not renewing on time.“

That should give you some comfort, even though I don‘t know the official source. I found it on Yucalandia, a site you could search when you have more time. For a legal response, you might contact Spencer at Chapala Law in Chapala, Jalisco.

roberth

May 27, 2016, 11:46 AM

Post #5 of 6 (5301 views)

Shortcut

If you're particularly concerned about not getting back before your RT expires, you could also contact a facilitator in your area. There's a process where you sign something like an attorney's privilege document, which allows the facilitator to act on your behalf with INM. They would go to INM for you and get the renewal process started. I did this because I was traveling within Mexico for a wedding, and a problem popped up with my RT renewal application. It made it super easy and only cost like 700p.

There's definitely no need to contact INM about the fact that you're leaving the country. Just make 100% sure that the customs people at the airport know you have an RT VISA, and so don't mark you as a tourist.That can invalidate your RT.

playaboy

May 27, 2016, 5:06 PM

Post #6 of 6 (5274 views)

Shortcut

On the day of your flight, you should go to INM at the airport and fill out an FMM (para salida). One half will go to the airline and the other half you keep and turn in when you fly back to MX.

Good luck with everything.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4