Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Billie Girl

May 20, 2016, 8:17 PM

Post #1 of 35 (7456 views)

Shortcut

Internet "stick"

Can't Post | Private Reply
wondering if anyone on here can tell me if you use an internet stick, if you live in a remote area, and how they work.....We are going to be moving to an area that will not have cable and will use a dish, but need internet.

Billie Girl

May 21, 2016, 7:33 AM

Post #2 of 35 (7418 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Billie Girl] Internet "stick"

or does any one have another suggestion, how to get internet, out in the country. The house has a dish, that we will use for TV, but the cable company does not go out there, so no internet.

ifyoucanttakeajoke

May 21, 2016, 8:02 AM

Post #3 of 35 (7415 views)

Shortcut

Will you have a land line telephone?

Billie Girl

May 21, 2016, 8:27 AM

Post #4 of 35 (7411 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ifyoucanttakeajoke] Internet "stick"

we aren't sure yet.....we have only made an offer on the house...and do know they have a dish.....for TV...and we do know that Megacable does not service that area....since there are businesses there I am sure Telmex must go out there....I already have a Telcel account, so figured I may be able to use a stick.....

ifyoucanttakeajoke

May 21, 2016, 8:45 AM

Post #5 of 35 (7407 views)

Shortcut

I don't know if the stick will attach to your existing TelCel account. A friend was vacationing here a few years ago in a place with no telephone service. He got a stick from TelCel and it worked. He said the service was slow, expensive and his "minutes" seemed to disappear faster than he could account for.

Your best shot is for DSL service with a land line, if possible.

Billie Girl

May 21, 2016, 9:01 AM

Post #6 of 35 (7406 views)

Shortcut

Thanks, I will check with the realtor, and see if Telmex is out there, if so, probably can get it when we get a land line....

rvgringo

May 21, 2016, 9:26 AM

Post #7 of 35 (7401 views)

Shortcut

DSL is not available on all Telmex lines. Yes, a Telcel stick might work, but it will be very expensive.
Frankly, you might hope that your offer is rejected and that you get a chance to choose a home in an area with full service for your needs.
Good luck.

johanson

May 21, 2016, 10:53 AM

Post #8 of 35 (7384 views)

Shortcut

As you can tell, we don't have enough information about internet in your locality because we don't have enough information. And the best way to get an answer to that question is first check with the former owners or listing agent and with their neighbors to determine what they use for internet.
There is almost always a solution. I might add that if neither Telmex, cable, or your cell phone company offers internet at this new home chances are very great that a very expensive option would be available to you. And that option is satellite internet.
The problem with that service, which is called Hughesnet is that the service offered outside the US is very expensive and the internet terribly slow, much slower than offered in the US.
It would be interesting to hear what you have learned from the sellers about the availability of internet at this location. Good luck

Billie Girl

May 21, 2016, 12:37 PM

Post #9 of 35 (7370 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Internet "stick"

Thanks all, for your replies...the present owners now live in the US, so I will have to rely on the realtor and or some of the neighbors...it is a small village in the mountains.....I will have to find out about the town closest to it...like 12 miles away....which I am sure must have internet.....and we love the house and it fits our needs perfectly!!!! So we really want it.....we live in a city now and ready for some quite, and clean air....we live in Mazatlán, Sinaloa, and use Megacable for internet, land line and TV.

playaboy

May 21, 2016, 3:00 PM

Post #10 of 35 (7354 views)

Shortcut

I live in a developing rural area. I started with Hughesnet and now I use the TelCel stick. I am close to a cell tower.

It is pay as you use. 399 for 3 gigs to use within a month. You just have to watch what you use your bandwidth for.

Billie Girl

May 21, 2016, 4:00 PM

Post #11 of 35 (7348 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Internet "stick"

Thank you.....I have a smart phone, I may have to use it more, then the computer.....

rockydog85251

May 21, 2016, 7:26 PM

Post #12 of 35 (7323 views)

Shortcut

We used to live in Mazatlan and also longed for cleaner air and civilized surroundings...so are now in Ajijic but you might want to run your ideas past Oscar at Aztec computers for some ideas...he's really sharp.
Good luck on your quest!

Ps...your realtor, if you have one SHOULD help you with this!!!!
Willie

Billie Girl

May 21, 2016, 7:38 PM

Post #13 of 35 (7322 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rockydog85251] Internet "stick"

LOL....Willie,, it is Billie and Lenny.....we found the perfect house, in copala..and REALLY look forward to moving there.....CLEANER air... a must..and quite(and clean) .....the REAL Mexico we have been looking for......we get more excited each time we go up there......

johanson

May 21, 2016, 10:26 PM

Post #14 of 35 (7306 views)

Shortcut

I've had Telmex Infinitum internet which was terribly reliable for maybe 8 years until in about late March of this year. Soon thereafter they turned down the speed as I explained above and the reliability became quite bad. and at least once a week I had no internet or phone
Luckily I too have a Cell tower or two quite close to the house and could get either fast internet via 4G or somewhat slower using 3G which I chose to use because I did not want to use too much band width. On my iPhone I left clicked on my settings App.
On the settings page, on the middle of the first page I had an option titled "Personal Hotspot, I left clicked thereon and because the Cellular option was already on, all I had to do was lift click on Personal Hotspot, and either using Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or a USB cable connecting to my computer, I had internet.
If you have never done it before, this may sound a little complicated. But it is really quite simple. Just make sure that the plan you are on, gives you data at your carriers lowest rate.

johanson

May 21, 2016, 11:07 PM

Post #15 of 35 (7298 views)

Shortcut

I tried editing and cleaning up the above post, but everything froze and I failed. Sorry that the post above needs to be tweaked. It's just that for some reason after updating and cleaning up the above message the software froze and I lost what I had written

joaquinx

May 22, 2016, 6:14 AM

Post #16 of 35 (7281 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I tried editing and cleaning up the above post, but everything froze and I failed. Sorry that the post above needs to be tweaked. It's just that for some reason after updating and cleaning up the above message the software froze and I lost what I had written

Time to bring in the 12-year old.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

sparks

May 22, 2016, 7:22 AM

Post #17 of 35 (7271 views)

Shortcut

Just because Telmex has phone service does not mean they will have Internet. They seem to supply only according to demand and are slow about that.

I doubt our small community of 1000+/- will ever have Telmex unless the government orders it.

I've been using a Telcel modem for 5+ years with a 10 gig contract. It's 650p per month. If CEL reception is good in your area I would guess a Telcel modem would work.

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

cbviajero

May 22, 2016, 8:30 AM

Post #18 of 35 (7257 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Internet "stick"

In Reply To

In Reply To

Time to bring in the 12-year old.

Haha!
When I have (compu) problems my 10 year old helps me out..

rockydog85251

May 22, 2016, 8:35 AM

Post #19 of 35 (7254 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Internet "stick"

Billie...I sent you a PM to Danes 1......
Willie

chinagringo

May 22, 2016, 11:04 AM

Post #20 of 35 (7230 views)

Shortcut

"Time to bring in the 12-year old."

It seems that a 12 year old would have figured out from the get go that the OP had not provided adequate info from the very beginning to even start proving how much or how little he/she didn't know by wasting forum space? Given the lack of info provided in the OP - one couldn't have provided a good answer had the OP been asking about a mysterious location in the US or Canada!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

ifyoucanttakeajoke

May 22, 2016, 1:04 PM

Post #21 of 35 (7217 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Internet "stick"

In Reply To
"Time to bring in the 12-year old."

It seems that a 12 year old would have figured out from the get go that the OP had not provided adequate info from the very beginning to even start proving how much or how little he/she didn't know by wasting forum space? Given the lack of info provided in the OP - one couldn't have provided a good answer had the OP been asking about a mysterious location in the US or Canada!

eye-roll.

johanson

May 22, 2016, 2:04 PM

Post #22 of 35 (7210 views)

Shortcut

Yes you are right. I want to complain about my internet speed. It's just too slow. I am supposed to be getting 100 down by 100 up and this is what I am getting, chinagringo.

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5346210059]

What do you recommend I do. I did phone in and they agreed and gave me one month for free. But that is not good enough. What should I do, Neil?

Sorry Neil, I just couldn't resist this post, from sunny Seattle :)

sparks

May 24, 2016, 8:05 AM

Post #23 of 35 (7067 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
eye-roll.

A typical reply from him

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

ifyoucanttakeajoke

May 24, 2016, 8:25 AM

Post #24 of 35 (7065 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Internet "stick"

In Reply To

In Reply To
eye-roll.

A typical reply from him

Check my pic.

johanson

May 24, 2016, 2:10 PM

Post #25 of 35 (7028 views)

Shortcut

Getting back on topic, What have you learned Billie Girl about the availability of internet at your new dream home? I think we would all be interested to learn

And Sparks, if you are reading this what kind of speed do you get via your Telcel Modem?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Edited the spelling above from time to kind

(This post was edited by johanson on May 24, 2016, 3:39 PM)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4