Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

CJ

May 12, 2016, 8:57 AM

Post #1 of 11 (7703 views)

Shortcut

Nogales Crossing

| Private Reply
Going north in mid June. Looking for recommendations for best day and time to cross at Nogales. Gracias!

rvgringo

May 12, 2016, 9:57 AM

Post #2 of 11 (7697 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CJ] Nogales Crossing

| Private Reply
Any day; any time at the Mariposa crossing at Nogales Rt 15. On our last crossing, we failed to find a pet-friendly motel in Hermosillo, which was in construction-gridlock, so we actually continued on to Nogales and crossed at 9:30-10:PM with no other traffic and no waiting. The US officials were polite, but did check the dog‘s papers and our passports. The car was so stuffed that they chose not to try to open a door; just looked in a window. We got to Tucson about 11:00-11:30 PM, but there are motels just north of the border.

chinagringo

May 12, 2016, 7:46 PM

Post #3 of 11 (7676 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Nogales Crossing

| Private Reply
So are you now recommending that driving in the border area is prudent after dark?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

playaboy

May 13, 2016, 5:10 AM

Post #4 of 11 (7662 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I have driven that route dozens of times in the last coupe of years. Try to avoid Friday, Saturday and Sunday's. I use an AP called Border Wait to see up to the minute crossing times.

The best crossing to take is the one mentioned by RV but it is not called Mariposa on the Mexico side. It is the frontier bridge number III. The exit to the bridge is about a mile north of the 20KM checkpoint. Just follow the commercial trucks.

Do not drive in the area north of Hermosillo after dark, especially Santa Ana to Imuris. That is a KEY smuggling route for everything illegal. It is a very dangerous area.

Hardly anyone recommends driving at night. It is just plain STUPID for many reasons. Seasoned Mexico travelers won't drive at night, only the dumb amateurs and the naive drive at night. RVgringos experience and expert advise on his only drive north in YEARS is the exact advise you should not follow. He chose not to stop at more than a dozen motels on the highway(including no-tell motels that take pets) on the route north from Hermosillo. He pushed his luck and came out OK.

Why do you think there was no traffic or wait at the border at night?

hunteradvisor

May 13, 2016, 7:36 AM

Post #5 of 11 (7646 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
We cross at Nogales twice a year and a few times have stayed alum Hermosillo as it is within striking distance of the border and has a nice, clean hotel with a restaurant offering a pretty good buffet. $40usd http://www.hotelsansebastian.com.mx/
Otro lado we stay in a fantastic campground right on the river in Nogales, let me know if you need the name of it, otherwise push through to Tuscon. Check Air BnB as I've seen really nice places listed between Nogales & Tuscon. We always cross at first light to make our way as far past the border region as possible and to get as many "daylight" miles in as possible. Pack food & drinks so you don't have to stop.
Isabel
www.RanchoSolyMar.com

(This post was edited by RickS on May 13, 2016, 9:25 AM)

rvgringo

May 13, 2016, 8:58 AM

Post #6 of 11 (7640 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Nogales Crossing

| Private Reply
No, I do not recommend driving at night; just reported that we did it without incident and that we were unable to find a pet-friendly motel in the midst of serious rush-hour gridlock and highway construction in Hermosillo. It was totally uneventful and my wife, who does the driving due to my near blindness, kept the pedal to the metal.

playaboy

May 13, 2016, 9:33 AM

Post #7 of 11 (7635 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Nogales Crossing

| Private Reply

In Reply To
No, I do not recommend driving at night; just reported that we did it without incident and that we were unable to find a pet-friendly motel in the midst of serious rush-hour gridlock and highway construction in Hermosillo. It was totally uneventful and my wife, who does the driving due to my near blindness, kept the pedal to the metal.

You are not helping anyone by telling them of your last drive out of Mexico. You just seem to brag about not planning your trip properly, doing a stupid thing (driving at night in the border area), and making it safely. There were plenty of hotels just north of the construction area on the main hwy. You probably didn't even look for a hotel or you would have stopped at one of the dozen you drove past on your way to Nogales. You took a big gamble and got lucky.

I wouldn't continue to post about your last foolish road trip in Mexico.

RickS

May 13, 2016, 9:34 AM

Post #8 of 11 (7635 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hunteradvisor] Nogales Crossing

| Private Reply
I'll second the Hotel San Sebastian (and their restaurant) but.... I didn't see/get nearly that great a room rate! 1170 pesos and that was after I suggested that I only needed accommodations for one person. Obviously YMMV

hunteradvisor

May 13, 2016, 9:54 AM

Post #9 of 11 (7627 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Nogales Crossing

| Private Reply
Just saw their rate today, probably because it's off season it was $40 us
Isabel
www.RanchoSolyMar.com

rvgringo

May 13, 2016, 9:58 AM

Post #10 of 11 (7626 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Nogales Crossing

| Private Reply
Hey, Beach Kid;
We did stop and ask, but our large dog and our smaller dog were refused. I thought I made that clear, but you seemed to have missed it twice. Remedial reading might help.

chinagringo

May 13, 2016, 10:38 AM

Post #11 of 11 (7616 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Nogales Crossing

| Private Reply
Obtuse suggestions that since one made it OK driving at night might indicate to the inexperienced that they too would be OK with such a practice?

This reminds me of the period when the cartels were terrorizing various sections of Mexico's highways and "forum warriors", often with zero experience along a given route, were responding to inquiries with: don't worry, be happy - they are not after Gringos! After all: Gringos are protected by an invisible force field.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4