Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sbeech

Apr 12, 2016, 8:18 PM

Post #26 of 45 (10311 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sbeech] Living here on a tourist visa

Can't Post | Private Reply
Mexico homicide rates by city.......scroll down the cities, I think Merida is 14th row, on the extreme left....hover the mouse over the trend line for murders by month!

http://crimenmexico.diegovalle.net/en/municipios.html

copy and paste the URL......last month 6 murders in the city, December 5 murders etc etc etc

YucaLandia

Apr 12, 2016, 9:28 PM

Post #27 of 45 (10301 views)

Shortcut

Yes, on weekends, young ladies in our family often stay out till 2 AM with friends and family ... and then on special occasions of weddings, graduation parties, etc they stay out till 4 or 5 AM. ... so there is none of the inconsistencies you claim ... just ordinary Mexican traditional family life,

and like all other Yucatecan and most Mexican families we know, the kids stick together and take care of each other - so, No, your claim that our 13 year olds are somehow out running around alone as you imagine just does not happen. ... When we hear hoofbeats, some people imagine zebras, while the rest of us expect horses ... so, yes, our Yucatecan families act like millions of other traditional Mexican families.

and yes, we regularly get renters at our place here in Merida, escaping from Vera Cruz, Sinaloa, Monterrey and Tamaulipas who are terrified to go out after 8 pm back in their hometowns ... so these 100,000 or so wise middle class Mexicans (from Monterrey, Vera Cruz, Tamaulipas, Vera Cruz et al) all find Merida an incredibly safe place to put their treasured moms, abuelitas, and kids.

Is it possible that 100,000 Mexicans from across Mexico are so very wrong?

Are the 100.000 - 150.000 middle class Mexicans who have moved to Merida from violence-torn areas of Mexico, really going to move abuelita and their dear sons and daughters into your "Mad Max" fantasies? (from 4 hours of experience in Merida?)

Is it likely that a Brit who chose a dangerous location, who is forced to hide behind massive steel walls knows more than these 100.000 or so Mexicans who have moved their families to the safety of Merida ... ?

and yes, you're right, that as the number of non-Yucatecans who are refugees from the violence of other parts of Mexico ... are likely bringing some of their problems with them. .... but with the last 3 months of busy ness of us caring for new grandchildren back in the USA, buying a new successful rental in the USA ... running successful rentals in Merida ... I had not tracked that the murder rate had spiked up this year.

Sorry that I misunderstood that you intentionally chose to buy a failing business in a dangerous part of Mexico. I had mistakenly thought that the horse collapsed accidentally unfortunately after you bought it ... not dreaming that you'd willingly buy a near-dead horse in a dangerous area.

Sorry for your losses... and sorry for your economic hardships...

and sorry for your problems with qualifying for a residency visa.

I sincerely hope that your future choices start working out better than trying to live in Mexico for years on a string of patchwork temporary tourist visas, to stay for years in a truly dangerous area.

I sincerely hope that your truly distressing situations turn around for you,

and that the Mexican Gob finds some way for you to qualify to stay here, even though you don't meet the standard requirements in place since 2012.

Tough breaks and tough times are challenging, creating stress and frayed nerves, and forced choices ...
that the rest of us can never understand.

Reading about all the problems that some people suffer, can serve to rekindle gratitude for the good things in our lives.

I hope that the solid advice you've received here helps dig you out of your holes.

All the best,

and

Best of luck that your multiple troubling problems, that are beyond our help

all resolve for the best,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Apr 12, 2016, 9:58 PM)

RickS

Apr 12, 2016, 9:37 PM

Post #28 of 45 (10298 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Living here on a tourist visa

You two take your private little tit-a-tat off-line. The subject of this Post is "Living here on a Tourist Visa".

YucaLandia

Apr 12, 2016, 9:53 PM

Post #29 of 45 (10295 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Copy and paste from the Yucatan Times......notice the comments "murder rates on the rise"...."only a fraction of crimes get reported"....

Many experts have said ...
"

================
Public Service Announcement about the 'Yucatan Times':

Before people start believing the Yucatan Times, it's worth noting that people who read English and who live in Merida regularly report (on Merida's popular local FB webpage) that the Yucatan Times is one of the worst rags in the whole Sur Este... known primarily for its regular inaccuracies and sensationalism.

Both of these qualities are proven in the article cited above, by YT's lack of sources, their vague charges that can apply to every large city, and YT's reporting of mysterious unnamed "Many experts" and their used of cheesy fake graphic images ... as thin cover for the missing substance.
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Apr 12, 2016, 10:05 PM)

YucaLandia

Apr 13, 2016, 5:59 AM

Post #30 of 45 (10270 views)

Shortcut

"Living here on a Residente Permanente visa ... and then as a Ciudadano Naturaleza"

Fotos from this morning's walk around our block in Merida

Our home...

This morning on our street

our neighbors homes ...

our neighbors

yet more ultra-high security neighbor's homes

our little apartment building

and yes ... there are at least 12 colonias in Merida that are nicer than our modest Col. Garcia Gineres, Merida.

Our little 4 block park that's 3 blocks from our house...

and yet more additional representative fotos of Merida

and our main drag ... Paseo Montejo

with lots Meridadanos

and Yucatecos

so there's one person's experience from "Living here on a tourist visa"

while other people find situations and places in Mexico that suit who they are.
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by RickS on Apr 13, 2016, 10:43 AM)

playaboy

Apr 13, 2016, 6:30 AM

Post #31 of 45 (10253 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To
If it was me I'd exit Mexico over some border other than Guatemala and then reenter on an FMM.

That should work unless they are actually tracking FMMs via computer.

Thanks for all the great advice....here is an update on my experience.

Flew down to Cancun at 3pm, 1000 pesos with Volaris.....ignored the "tourist buses" asking 166 pesos for a ride into Cancun/Playa Del Carmen....started walking.....after 2 or 3 kms, flagged down a local bus.....35 pesos to Del Carmen!!.....evening meal on the beach then 11pm bus to Chetumal...arrived 4am?..taxi drivers wanted 200 pesos to the border.....again I started walking.....after 2 kms again flagged down a taxi....40 pesos!!.......not sure if we ended up at the right crossing (it looked nothing like the one on YouTube) but after 10 minutes chatting with 3 border guards they suggested I take a brief walk "out of Mexico" then return!!...they asked for the "exit tax", I politely declined, showing them my Interjet receipt with "taxes" via Guatemala....I agreed to give them a small "tip" for being helpful though..10 minutes later I was back in the same taxi who kindly agreed to wait for no additional charge....back to the bus station, no charge so I gave him 10 peso tip.....5am bus to Bacalar.....at 8am I was drinking a 6 pack on the lagoon front under the fort guns.

I spent a few days hopping on buses along the coast, Bacalar, Mahahual, Tulum, Merida (which I thought looked filthy and pretty scary!! at night), Mexico City.......then home..........Happy days

Happy it worked out for you. Good to know that "tipping" still works at that crossing.

sbeech

Apr 13, 2016, 6:46 AM

Post #32 of 45 (10250 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Living here on a tourist visa

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
If it was me I'd exit Mexico over some border other than Guatemala and then reenter on an FMM.

That should work unless they are actually tracking FMMs via computer.

Thanks for all the great advice....here is an update on my experience.

Flew down to Cancun at 3pm, 1000 pesos with Volaris.....ignored the "tourist buses" asking 166 pesos for a ride into Cancun/Playa Del Carmen....started walking.....after 2 or 3 kms, flagged down a local bus.....35 pesos to Del Carmen!!.....evening meal on the beach then 11pm bus to Chetumal...arrived 4am?..taxi drivers wanted 200 pesos to the border.....again I started walking.....after 2 kms again flagged down a taxi....40 pesos!!.......not sure if we ended up at the right crossing (it looked nothing like the one on YouTube) but after 10 minutes chatting with 3 border guards they suggested I take a brief walk "out of Mexico" then return!!...they asked for the "exit tax", I politely declined, showing them my Interjet receipt with "taxes" via Guatemala....I agreed to give them a small "tip" for being helpful though..10 minutes later I was back in the same taxi who kindly agreed to wait for no additional charge....back to the bus station, no charge so I gave him 10 peso tip.....5am bus to Bacalar.....at 8am I was drinking a 6 pack on the lagoon front under the fort guns.

I spent a few days hopping on buses along the coast, Bacalar, Mahahual, Tulum, Merida (which I thought looked filthy and pretty scary!! at night), Mexico City.......then home..........Happy days

Happy it worked out for you. Good to know that "tipping" still works at that crossing.

Thank you.......I came on here initially to thank everyone for the advice......it worked for me, though I understand some on here are upset that I appear to have circumnavigated the system.

I explained my situation in the initial post back in September.....I believe I am a genuine tourist.
If I want to invest some serious money in this hotel, maybe develop the land as commercial units, then obviously I would need a "proper" visa of some description....but until that time, I am a tourist.
The only Mexican law I can find, is that I must leave the country every 6 months......which is exactly what I have been doing.
I am now being accused of "scamming the system" by another poster above......why?
What law am I breaking?.......that is a genuine question and will hopefully get us back on topic....as the mod suggests!

chinagringo

Apr 13, 2016, 7:46 AM

Post #33 of 45 (10232 views)

Shortcut

If the main or only reason for you to be exiting and then re-entering Mexico is to get a "Tourst Permit" - then you are hardly a tourist and are scamming the system! There is anecdotal evidence that there are a sizable number of foreigners who started out exactly the same way as yourself and then for one reason (health, laziness, monetary, etc) or another, trips to the border became an inconvenience. Just read one from the Lake Chapala area where a person had a 10 year expired FMT and wanted to leave Mexico and then return while trying to come up with excuses to not have to pay a fine.

Mexico set up a system which allows for Temporary Residents or Permanent Residents. As they have the right, certain parameters were defined and people who qualify are welcome. As you have stated: You are from the UK and I would suggest looking into the immigration parameters established by the former members of the British Commonwealth, now called the Commonwealth of Nations. Some of them have incredibly strict rules and regulations as is their right!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Ric Hoffman

Apr 14, 2016, 12:46 PM

Post #34 of 45 (10145 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

I understand some on here are upset that I appear to have circumnavigated the system.

I explained my situation in the initial post back in September.....I believe I am a genuine tourist.
If I want to invest some serious money in this hotel, maybe develop the land as commercial units, then obviously I would need a "proper" visa of some description....but until that time, I am a tourist.
The only Mexican law I can find, is that I must leave the country every 6 months......which is exactly what I have been doing.
I am now being accused of "scamming the system" by another poster above......why?
What law am I breaking?.......that is a genuine question and will hopefully get us back on topic....as the mod suggests!

Ley de Migracian Diario Oficial de la Federación el 25 de mayo de 2011
Última reforma publicada en el DOF 30 de octubre de 2014

Artículo 40. Los extranjeros que pretendan ingresar al país deben presentar alguno de los siguientes tipos de
visa, válidamente expedidas y vigentes:
I. Visa de visitante sin permiso para realizar actividades remuneradas, que autoriza al extranjero para presentarse
en cualquier lugar destinado al tránsito internacional de personas y solicitar su ingreso a territorio nacional, con el
objeto de permanecer por un tiempo ininterrumpido no mayor a ciento ochenta días, contados a partir de la fecha de entrada.
II. Visa de visitante con permiso para realizar actividades remuneradas, que autoriza al extranjero para
presentarse en cualquier lugar destinado al tránsito internacional de personas y solicitar su ingreso a territorio
nacional, con el objeto de permanecer por un tiempo ininterrumpido no mayor a ciento ochenta días, contados a
partir de la fecha de entrada y realizar actividades remuneradas.

Since asked, this is the law you are abusing. You are not a tourist by any definition. Visa de visitante cannot be extended except in extreme medical care situations or renewed. The law does not say you are allowed or entitled to more than one to be granted. If your stay is for more than 180 days, you should apply for a different visa or permanent residence.

(This post was edited by Ric Hoffman on Apr 14, 2016, 12:49 PM)

rvgringo

Apr 14, 2016, 4:50 PM

Post #35 of 45 (10120 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ric Hoffman] Living here on a tourist visa

Sooner or later, at some unpredictable time, sbeech will find himself unable to re-enter Mexico; maybe even being flagged and permanently prevented. As such, I would suggest that he consider the details of the legal requirements for residente temporal and find a way to meet them. His claim that he is a tourist is patently false, although he may feel otherwise. It would be a shame to see him lose his property as a result of a stubborn attitude, in the face of the facts. I hope that does not happen. Perhaps there is a solution that has yet to be discovered, related to his property ownership, etc.

playaboy

Apr 15, 2016, 8:19 AM

Post #36 of 45 (10068 views)

Shortcut

Blast from the past. Welcome back.

I know lots of people living here on a tourist visa. They all have their reasons for doing so.

Tourist visas are for up to 180 days. Then you have to leave Mexico then come back. Is there anything in the law that says you can not immediately return? If not, then you are not breaking any laws.

In this computerized age, if Mexico did not want this to happen they could easily stop this practice. Apparently Mexico does not seem to care.

(This post was edited by playaboy on Apr 15, 2016, 8:55 AM)

Ric Hoffman

Apr 15, 2016, 8:53 AM

Post #37 of 45 (10059 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Living here on a tourist visa

There is no "law" that does not say you cannot immediately return, but as always the individual INM agent has the final say to allow you entrance into the country. Some do and some don't let you turn-around. Some will not grant more than XX amount of days instead of the maximum 180 days, if they feel bad that day.

Just as FM3 was abused for so many years by tourists living full time in Mexico. Now a RT is limited to four years. But there are still "work-a-rounds" to that limit.

I am still amazed about how foreigners feel that they are entitled to pass through borders at will to enter Mexico. I would say that most all counties do have laws and regulations regarding entering their borders.

Mim11

May 9, 2016, 11:41 AM

Post #38 of 45 (9715 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Living here on a tourist visa

In Reply To
Really, you let your teen age daughters walk around the city at 2AM??
Ten lo por seguro que pronto vas hacer abuelo

Off subject and not trying to be a sabelotodo, but this is an error I see even native Spanish speakers commit. When spoken it sounds like "vas hacer", but it actually needs the "a" in between "vas" and "hacer", i.e. "Vas a hacer". (Just as with any other verb, e.g. "Vas a comer", "Vas a trabajar", etc.)

Actually, in this context, it should be "Vas a ser abuelo" ... unless, of course, Steve is going to have more kids then it would be "Vas a hacer abuelo a tu suegro."

cbviajero

May 9, 2016, 1:42 PM

Post #39 of 45 (9696 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mim11] Living here on a tourist visa

Thanks,I'm always looking to improve my Spanish.

Mim11

May 9, 2016, 4:20 PM

Post #40 of 45 (9678 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

Me, too, but lots of people (my husband included) often won't bother to correct me, considering it rude. My adult stepsons (native Spanish speakers, but also fluent in French and English) are the best at correcting me because they know what it's like learning another language AND they know I want to be corrected.

cbviajero

May 9, 2016, 4:37 PM

Post #41 of 45 (9671 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mim11] Living here on a tourist visa

In Reply To

In Reply To

Me, too, but lots of people (my husband included) often won't bother to correct me, considering it rude..

Oh,you are so right about that!
About the only person who corrects my Spanish is my ten year old..

(This post was edited by cbviajero on May 9, 2016, 4:43 PM)

Mim11

May 9, 2016, 6:30 PM

Post #42 of 45 (9656 views)

Shortcut

Speaking of being corrected, I need to correct myself. Instead of "Vas a hacer abuelo a tu suegro" it should read "Vas a hacerle abuelo a tu suegro."

Another way to say the original phrase could be, "Te van a hacer abuelo."

Of course, hopefully no one is going to be a grandparent before the right time!

Aaron+

May 10, 2016, 10:15 AM

Post #43 of 45 (9610 views)

Shortcut

Ric, I agree. And I have some glee when a scammer gets caught and gets his due. Hey, getting a temporary or permanent residence status 5 or so years ago was such a convoluted process, with the applicable regulations often apparently made up on the spot by one's particular INM agent, that finding a work around was excusable if not legal. The process is rational now, and largely computerized. If you intend to live here, do it right.

Now I understand that someone without the necessary financial status might be tempted...

RuralPuebla

May 16, 2016, 3:53 PM

Post #44 of 45 (9499 views)

Shortcut

I believe at one point in years past, I read an item by the Mexican government which did list valid tourist activities.

Things like visiting parks; exploring woods; going to ancient sites; eating at restaurants; visiting family and friends; travel within Mexico; obvious things. it sounded awfully subjective to me, thus depending upon the biases of a given government agent.

But, I am sure living in your home; working on your large acreage; and doing major construction such as security walls is not a valid tourist activity. The point here is you are going by your own opinion. When you live in another country, your opinion has no value. The laws and opinions of the government agencies is all that matters.

I say this while having to admit I did pretty much the same thing for several years until I did decided it was time to get FM-3. One difference was that at that time we didn't stay most of the year. We were here for a while, then in DF, then back to Texas. Each time we would make plans to further our house, actually my wife's house at that time, and she is Mexican, which I think also makes a difference. I am not sure, but I think that. I was visiting my wife and her family.

So, mea culpa, etcetera. Of course, in those days they weren't cracking down on border runs. Once in Reynosa the official told me I had to wait three days before I came back. And, I wasn't even planning to go back yet. Just getting the permit so I could cross by bus and not get abandoned by the bus while waiting for the tourist permit. Back then the tourist permit was multiple entry or so they told me. Now it is not.

However, back to a real solution. It looks to me like you need to have a real serious talk with your sweetie.

Ask her her honest opinion. How important are you to her? I am sure she knows. Is she willing to take a chance that you are only marrying her to get your papers? On the other hand, is she willing to risk the harsh reality that in 180 days you are gone forever by government edict?

She may be very willing to marry you even though she knows it is a pretext to get your PR. If you don't ask, you can't be sure.

It does concern me a bit that you don't seem to be considering her very much on this decision that may well affect her, too. Of course, we can only go by what you have written so I may be totally wrong in my opinion.

tejolot3

Jun 3, 2016, 1:07 PM

Post #45 of 45 (9036 views)

Shortcut

Just for the record, a homicide rate of 14 per 100,000 may be higher than the US national average, but it's squarely within the historical range of Louisiana, which state hardly ever drops below 10 per 100,000, and it's decidedly below the historical range of Puerto Rico, which territory usually comes in close to or above 20 per 100,000. Comparing two small numbers doesn't make one of them big, just less small. Furthermore, Yucatán consistently comes in toward the very bottom of the list of Mexican states for homicide rate: lower, in fact, than 5 per 100,000.

And Mérida (pop. 777,615) is approximately the same size as Fort Worth, Texas (pop. 792,717). Assuming 26 homicides in one year is accurate for Mérida, that is still considerably fewer than the 40 to 60 that Fort Worth sees every year. In fact, 26 homicides in one year is about par for the course in my own hometown of Wichita, Kansas, yet Wichita has a population of less than 400,000. Sorry if the shock value of "speaking slowly" with ellipses didn't sway this particular reader.

I have no personal interest in Mérida, I've never been there, but it bothers me when people throw numbers around without thoroughly examining the context of those numbers.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4