Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

RFVegas

May 8, 2016, 8:25 AM

Post #1 of 7 (6999 views)

Shortcut

Traveling Cancun to Cuba

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am US Citizen with Mexico Temporary Resident Card. Last forum postings were 3 years ago, prior to some restrictions removals. Any more recent travel experience to/from Cuba. We would fly from Cancun to Havana. Of course, leave cells phones behind and not log on to internet. I appreciate any help. Thanks.

roberth

May 9, 2016, 8:53 AM

Post #2 of 7 (6973 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RFVegas] Traveling Cancun to Cuba

I don't have any personal experience, but I know quite a lot of people that have and are traveling there. We all live in San Miguel de Allende, but I don't know the details, just that it has only gone smoothly for them.

Mim11

May 9, 2016, 12:42 PM

Post #3 of 7 (6961 views)

Shortcut

First of all, my understanding is that the restriction on US Citizens has never been by the Cuban government, rather it has been a US policy. I know a few US citizens who have travelled to Cuba from 3rd countries over the years without a problem. Cuba does nor stamp your passport on entry. Even for those of us from Canada, Cuba does not stamp the passport. They give a "visa volante", a little card you must keep with your passport and turn in on leaving the country (kind of like the FMM in Mexico). Canadians travel to Cuba by the droves, but historically having a Cuban stamp in one's passport could lead to difficulties entering the States, so this is avoided by Cuba not stamping the passport.

I will note that when my husband travelled to Cuba (tourism- going to a resort) he flew from Toronto but on his Mexican passport. They could see from his passport that he had travelled to various other countries in Latin America. He got pulled aside for secondary questioning, specifically if he knew and associated with Cubans in Toronto or other countries (we do have quite a few Cuban friends, but none are involved in political activism). In the end they let him through.

Aaron+

May 10, 2016, 10:35 AM

Post #4 of 7 (6929 views)

Shortcut

You posted the same query in the General forum.

bowmanmt

May 10, 2016, 4:07 PM

Post #5 of 7 (6917 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Traveling Cancun to Cuba

I went 15 years ago, via TJ then Cancun... I tried to pay them to not stamp my passport, after taking my 20 they stamped it with a green triangle stamp... When I came back through Cancun, I asked the Migra agent to please stamp right over the green triangle one.. He did with one of those big stamps, covered right over it.

RFVegas

May 11, 2016, 6:54 AM

Post #6 of 7 (6896 views)

Shortcut

Thank you all for your responses and insight. Any hints for booking hotel in advance? Would be difficult to resv with US Amex I would think.

chinagringo

May 11, 2016, 7:07 AM

Post #7 of 7 (6894 views)

Shortcut

You might check:
http://www.cubahotelreservation.com/
It appears that they accept Visa & Mastercard but not AMEX.

You might also look at AirBnB as they were one of the very first vacation home booking services to be allowed.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4