Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

RFVegas

May 8, 2016, 8:24 AM

Post #1 of 10 (4966 views)

Shortcut

Travel from Cancun to Cuba

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am US Citizen with Mexico Temporary Resident Card. Last forum postings were 3 years ago, prior to some restrictions removals. Any more recent travel experience to/from Cuba. We would fly from Cancun to Havana. Of course, leave cells phones behind and not log on to internet. I appreciate any help. Thanks.

DavidHF

May 9, 2016, 4:30 PM

Post #2 of 10 (4912 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RFVegas] Travel from Cancun to Cuba

It's not illegal to travel to Cuba and it's easy from Mexico. Enjoy! We did!

Aaron+

May 10, 2016, 9:42 AM

Post #3 of 10 (4872 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] Travel from Cancun to Cuba

Oops, let's rewind and play the succinct current note on the U.S. State Dept. website:
"TOURIST VISA REQUIRED:
Tourist travel to Cuba is prohibited under U.S. law for U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and others subject to U.S. jurisdiction."
That said, you can readily become an authorized visitor to Cuba if you join up with one of the many cultural or religious groups traveling to Cuba. Check with a travel agency that advertises travel to Cuba.

Ok, folks may tell you that if you leave from Mexico and ask Cuban immigration not to stamp you passport, that you will be in the clear. Probably so, perhaps not.

citlali

May 12, 2016, 8:02 PM

Post #4 of 10 (4823 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Travel from Cancun to Cuba

Cuba is now full of Americans and the prices are going up and up hurry up...

DavidHF

May 13, 2016, 3:22 PM

Post #5 of 10 (4792 views)

Shortcut

One buys their visa from Immigration in Havana. Stamping your passport doesn't matter. It was never illegal to visit Cuba, there just wan't any way to get there from the USA.

Aaron+

May 13, 2016, 3:48 PM

Post #6 of 10 (4786 views)

Shortcut

You did read what I quoted from the current U.S. Dept. of State info on travel to Cuba, didnīt you?

Perhaps technically you may be right, but pointlessly so:

"Americans are not actually prohibited from traveling to Cuba but are prohibited from spending any money in Cuba which effectively amounts to the same thing since with a maximum penalty for unauthorized travel to Cuba of US$ 250,000 and 10 years in prison most people are unwilling to argue that they managed to avoid spending any cash during the duration of their trip to Cuba!" from http://www.visitcuba.com/...e-to-usa-travellers/ That same website also advises how to obtain authorization for permitted travel (still with limitations on spending within Cuba).

DavidHF

May 15, 2016, 4:31 PM

Post #7 of 10 (4746 views)

Shortcut

Do a little more research and you'll learn that there's NEVER been any enforcement of that. There is no court to try people, nothing. Oh, they authorized the whole scheme but it was never funded. Relax. Go or not, either way enjoy!

soylent_green

May 16, 2016, 9:31 AM

Post #8 of 10 (4719 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RFVegas] Travel from Cancun to Cuba

I went in March through Miami with an organized business group.

You can get legal authorizaiton for "person to person" interchange. Get it on line, and you will be "legal" - you won't be denied. Just keep your form for I think 7 years. For years US citizens have been going without permission.

In Havana, most of the "nicer" hotels are pretty sub par. The private "paladares" restaurants we went to were really good. Your bartender very likely will have a masters degree in Mechanical Engineering or something like that.

Its not set up for a lot of tourism. And if you are worried about it "changing" soon - thats not going to happen.

The Havana airport is about the size of a bus station.

You don't see a lot of police and military in the capital. That kind of surprised me.

Credit cards don't work. I guess some US cell companies are connecting. You pay for crappy internet in the hotel by the hour, and its limited to a corner in the lobby.

I'd suggest if you are interested in going, look for a tour out of Cancun with a hotel and transportation package. Cuba seems to be a place where it would be kind of hard to just wing it when you get there.

check out the "La Zorra y el Cuervo" jazz club when you are there.

Having been throughout Latin America, I can honestly say the Cubans I meet are hands down the nicest and sincerest people I've meet. They really like US citizens.

(This post was edited by soylent_green on May 16, 2016, 9:32 AM)

Aaron+

May 20, 2016, 2:10 PM

Post #9 of 10 (4654 views)

Shortcut

first such case I readily foundhttp://havanajournal.com/..._for_travel_to_cuba/

err... DavidFH, where do you get your "facts"?

DavidHF

May 23, 2016, 11:35 AM

Post #10 of 10 (4581 views)

Shortcut

Excerpted from the article above, "Under the embargo, U.S. travelers are not literally barred from visiting Cuba, but are prohibited from spending any money there."

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4