Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

tfyoung

May 7, 2016, 5:30 PM

Post #1 of 12 (6152 views)

Shortcut

Cars---Again

Can't Post | Private Reply
I know this has been hashed and hashed again. But I'm still confused. We are hoping to retire to Mexico sometime in 2017. I'm looking at a used car which is a 2014 model. My current understanding of the law is this:

After applying for and receiving my RT in the U.S., I can bring the 2014 NAFTA car into Mexico on a TIP. By the time I'm eligible for RP in four years, the car will be eligible for nationalization. Is that correct?

Also, I've read that NAFTA cars, for this purpose, have VINs that begin with 1,2,3,4 or 5. The car I'm looking at has a VIN that begins with 4. Made in Indiana. Is this car kosher for Mexican nationalization?

Thanks in advance for your kind and knowledgeable replies.

chinagringo

May 7, 2016, 5:43 PM

Post #2 of 12 (6150 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tfyoung] Cars---Again

So you are bringing a vehicle in in the year 2017 and then are quizzing whether or not you can do what you want in 2021? Good luck with that concept! Can you or anyone else predict with 100% acuracy what might happen in that time period. What may be the case right now certainly might change and from what I have seen "grandfather clauses" are a little recognized concept in Mexico.

Rather than even subject yourself to possible hassles due to changed rules or differing interpretations - why not consider purchasing a vehicle in Mexico and having few hassles?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Gringal

May 8, 2016, 6:01 AM

Post #3 of 12 (6114 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Cars---Again

Excellent suggestion. A number of auto makers have facilities in Mexico now, so you have a large number of choices.

As China said, you never know what changes may come down.

RickS

May 8, 2016, 9:03 AM

Post #4 of 12 (6087 views)

Shortcut

As long as Indiana stays in the United States your 2014 vehicle made there is a NAFTA car.

Otherwise, ditto what chinagringo said! Or at least be prepared to have your 2016 plan for that 2014 car to have to leave Mexico in 2021. IMO, you are trying to plan something 'very precisely' for a country wherein 'precisely' is not in the dictionary.... and even if it were, the word 'maybe' or 'manana' or 'not in my jurisdiction' takes precedence.

YucaLandia

May 9, 2016, 12:37 PM

Post #5 of 12 (6014 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Cars---Again

Buying a Mexican vehicle in Mexico does have some benefits, but there are drawbacks ...

It's worth noting that many Mexican-sold versions of NAFTA vehicles have NO airbags... don't have ABS .... don't have safety-steel bracing in the doors ... etc etc

How many Mexican-sold NAFTA (new car) vehicles have met US DOT standards?

If environmental pollution is an issue, how many Mexican-sold NAFTA (new car) vehicles have met US environmental pollution standards?

Happy Trails,
stev e
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on May 9, 2016, 12:39 PM)

joaquinx

May 10, 2016, 4:34 AM

Post #6 of 12 (5941 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Cars---Again

In Reply To
Buying a Mexican vehicle in Mexico does have some benefits, but there are drawbacks ...

It's worth noting that many Mexican-sold versions of NAFTA vehicles have NO airbags... don't have ABS .... don't have safety-steel bracing in the doors ... etc etc

If environmental pollution is an issue, how many Mexican-sold NAFTA (new car) vehicles have met US environmental pollution standards?

Happy Trails,
stev e

Only two or three models of the cheapest cars you can find have no air bags the remaining ones do have air bags. I doubt if a person buys a car in Mexico that they'll want to import it to the US so it doesn't have to meet US environmental standards. In fact no Mexican car does. Why is there a concern on whether the car meets US DOT standards?
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

(This post was edited by joaquinx on May 10, 2016, 7:02 AM)

playaboy

May 10, 2016, 6:46 AM

Post #7 of 12 (5925 views)

Shortcut

Tfyoung, you are in the planning stages, than plan to leave your car up north and buy a Mexican titled car. Don't buy that 2014 with the intent on keeping it past 2021 (that would be a 7 year old car).

I have had a lot of dealings with car issues, removing the cars from Mexico, importing cars, etc. Chinagringo's advice was spot on.

Yuca, your deleted post contained some false info. Better that it was deleted than to mislead folks.

The only thing common in Nafta built vehicles is that they were built in the USA, MX, or CA. The specs of the cars are determined by the country where that car will eventually be sold.

panama john

May 10, 2016, 5:47 PM

Post #8 of 12 (5872 views)

Shortcut

I agree with playaboy. Buy your car here in Mexico. There are plenty of good cars at good prices. It's just not worth the aggravation dealing with a foreign titled car.

YucaLandia

May 11, 2016, 6:28 AM

Post #9 of 12 (5836 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Cars---Again

In Reply To

In Reply To

Happy Trails,
steve

Only two or three models of the cheapest cars you can find have no air bags the remaining ones do have air bags. I doubt if a person buys a car in Mexico that they'll want to import it to the US so it doesn't have to meet US environmental standards. In fact no Mexican car does.

Why is there a concern on whether the car meets US DOT standards?

I have no concerns ... just a desire to offer people a relevant story.

When there are no air bags at all ... or When there are only 2 airbags (with no side air-bags) ... when the Mexican cars do not have safety steel bars inside the doors... and when they have no ABS braking,

some people might choose to bring down a US vehicle that
~ is significantly safer to drive,
~ stops better,
~ protects the driver & passengers better,
~ has better fuel economy ... and
~ pollutes less.

It's hard to make a rational decision when we are missing 5 key facts?

A desire to be well-informed can sometimes be at odds with a desire to remain sane ...

but at other times, knowing the facts helps us... and makes life both easier and better.

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on May 11, 2016, 6:33 AM)

joaquinx

May 11, 2016, 6:31 AM

Post #10 of 12 (5833 views)

Shortcut

Some people need both a belt and suspenders to hold up their pants.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

Gringal

May 11, 2016, 7:02 AM

Post #11 of 12 (5826 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Cars---Again

Looking at the long view: if people on a temporary visa are going to be faced with being forced to have a Mexican plated car when going Permanente, it hardly matters that the U.S. car may be safer, better made or whatever. It must be an "importable" one. My Japanese Toyota wasn't, but had lots of life left in it. Who cared? The rules were the rules.
Who knows what's going to be happening 4 years down the line? Things do change. My crystal ball is clouded, like most others.

One thing is for certain: If you're going to move to Mexico, three things are essential: adaptability, a well honed sense of humor and the ability to accept the absurd.

RuralPuebla

May 13, 2016, 8:30 PM

Post #12 of 12 (5760 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Cars---Again

My 2002 Sienna was a great car. If I had imported it a year or two ago, it may have lasted me until I died. They can keep cars running a very long time here. But, I waited and now it is apparently not importable due to the model year. It is parked in Texas, for a while, in case they change the rules again. It is only worth maybe $2500 per KBB.

I had to buy a 2009 in Puebla. It has 50,000 miles if they didn't spin the mileage back.

I was told the car dealers pressured the government to stop importing so many used cars. Sounds correct to me. If there is someone important who wants to import something else the political winds could change. Or, maybe a politician offers the poor folk the right to import cheaper used cars to get votes. In Mexico, nothing is sure.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4