Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ifyoucanttakeajoke

May 16, 2016, 7:07 AM

Post #26 of 37 (4363 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RuralPuebla] Blood pressure problems?

Can't Post | Private Reply

In Reply To
I think at least once and maybe twice I was told I must be a vegetarian, and then icantmakeajoke implies something wrong with me eating goat fat as a vegetarian. I have never said I was a vegetarian and am not at all. I have been on Atkins for many years which is why my b.p. got down to 105/ and lost 40 pounds without hunger.

The new Atkins recommends at least 4 cups of vegetables a day to avoid constipation.

Your assumptions to my posts are 100% incorrect. I didn't say that eating goat fat as a vegetarian is wrong. I just don't know why anyone would eat goat fat. Or cook with hog lard. Is goat fat and hog lard part of the Atkins diet? I don't know, I'm not a fan of fad diets.

As far as wrist monitors for blood pressure goes, this quote from the Mayo Clinic web site:

"Wrist blood pressure monitors are extremely sensitive to body position. To get an accurate reading when taking your blood pressure with a wrist monitor, your arm and wrist must be at heart level. Even then, blood pressure measurements taken at the wrist are usually higher and less accurate than those taken at your upper arm. That's because the wrist arteries are narrower and not as deep under your skin as those of the upper arm.

Some people can't have their blood pressure measured at the upper arm because they have a very large arm or find blood pressure measurements painful. In these cases, measuring blood pressure at the wrist is acceptable."

RuralPuebla

May 16, 2016, 11:13 AM

Post #27 of 37 (4343 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ifyoucanttakeajoke] Blood pressure problems?

Atkins had a 95% success rate eliminating infarctions and diabetes Type II for those who actually followed it. Calling it a fad diet is Reason Three to believe you are a doctor.

The first medical paper on low carb was in 1802; they called it starch back then. In the 1920's a man came back from the North and stated he had eaten no carbs for two years. They called him a liar. There is no need for carbs. The liver can produce enough glucose for the brain from fat.

I have in my library a text book by Guyton and Hall. It is a physiology text book currently used in some medical schools. They describe the processing of fat; protein; and carbohydrates almost exactly like Dr. Atkins did.

My best friend in this village is a doctor. He's been here 35 years. Three years ago, he told me one night his leg muscles hurt when he walked. Without changing my tone of voice, I said, "You are going to die." He looked sick because he knew that very well. He knew what it meant as well as I did.

I told him, "Maybe you need to try the Atkins diet you keep insisting cannot work." he said, "Do you think it might help?" I told him, of course, that is what Atkins does is clean up veins and arteries.

Three weeks later, his muscles didn't hurt. Not long ago, he admitted that at that time, he had examined his legs with his ultrasound machine. It shows flowing blood under the skin as blue or red. When he had intermittent claudication, the flow stopped inches below his knees. After a time on Atkins, the blood flowed all the way down.

Some months after he cured his claudication, just to rub it in, I asked him what treatment medicine had for claudication. He admitted absolutely nothing. I knew that, of course. i wanted to rub it in because he had been very insulting when I started on Atkins. A few weeks ago, he stated in plain language that he views me as having saved his life. He now recommends Atkins (low carb) to his patients.

RuralPuebla

May 16, 2016, 11:19 AM

Post #28 of 37 (4342 views)

Shortcut

I have been accused of a thread which is a train wreck. I don't know what that means. Anyone who imagines that as an expat they are immune from the health problems caused by insecticide among as many as millions of Mexicans, hey, I have building lots for sale cheap. Please bring your own boat.

However, no matter. If this is a train wreck, let us strew pieces of the consist along the tracks from Omaha to Chicago. I will tell the entire story of my learning about insecticide problems. Those not interested will find this posting a great cure for insomnia.

1. In 2008, a high school girl from a village half an hour away knocked on my door, asking for help with her science fair project. Not the science part of it. She owned that. She had won in the region; then placed high enough in Mexico City that she won an all expenses paid trip to the International Science Fair in Atlanta.

She needed to have her presentation translated to English, and enough English classes that she could read it in English in Atlanta. I don't know if anyone in Atlanta understood a syllable, but we got her through it in one piece. Heh, heh. She had a great trip and will remember it as long as she lives.

Her project involved the use of Guajillo chili peppers to make an insecticide for White Flies on calabazas (zucchini) and jitomate, both diet basics in Mexico. They ground up the peppers; mixed it with ethanol (which I theorize might be cane alcohol), squeezed out the liquids; then ran it through a still to prevent the ethanol from entering the atmosphere.

Field tests showed a better kill of white flies than the horribly dangerous and expensive organophospates currently used in all Third World Countries. When I say expensive, I mean the farmers making or losing money depends upon the cost of the insecticides. It is marginal if the yield will be sufficient to pay for the chemicals. The guajillo costs a mere fraction of the organophospates. I told her the agrochemical companies will never permit the use of this. She grinned and kept on with what she was doing.

As part of her presentation she described the dangers of the organophospates to the fumigators who apply it. She mentioned them becoming sick, and the need to be hospitalized. A local doctor has told me they do, and often, die from exposure. They don't have good chemical masks. They mostly use a towel or handkerchief across their face. Neither she nor the local doctors seem to know that it is possible for the food to be contaminated and cause health problems for the people who eat it.

Oh, wait, I did talk to a med student one day. They had been told of a family which ate contaminated frijoles, and all of them died. I suppose it is possible that heavy contamination can kill you, but lesser amounts have no effect at all. That is so unlikely as to evade all reason.

2. Several years later, I was invited to a cousin's party on Worker's Day. He provides several goats and plenty of food and beer to his employees, and invites family and friends to enjoy them, once a year.

There was a lot of goat fat. It was delicious. Since fat is good on Atkins, I pigged out. Later that night, I was sicker than a dog. Another cousin took me to the government hospital and they gave me something to knock down the blood pressure. Though no one said a word while I ate it, as soon as I got sick they all admitted they knew it would do that. But, everyone including the government doctors thought it was goat fat which is toxic. I now know better.

3. Several more years later, that is, three or four years ago, I was cooking with lard. Real lard, not the chemical stuff sold in supermarkets in the US, is delicious, and is not bad for you IF IT'S NOT CONTAMINATED.

My blood pressure was stable around 110/? for so long I stopped checking it a lot. One day, I did and it was 180/130, which is in the harmful range. Need I say it was panic time? I called a doctor I know in the US, and told him, "Please help me with this. If I take this high b.p. to a doctor, my life is over."

He called me back a day or two later and told me he was sure it had to do with the lard. After the vegetables are harvested, they turn the goats and pigs into the fields to glean whatever they can find. Organophosphates are fat soluble. That is, they instantly go into the fat deposits of the animal which consumes them. Goat; hog; or human; it's all the same. And, animals which keep on consuming them build up very high levels of the chemicals. Then, here I am eating it or cooking with it.

I stopped the lard, changed to Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and worked on Atkins to burn off that recently deposited fat. It was a month or two and my b.p. was back to 105 or 110 again. My observation is the chemical is deposited as Last In, First Out so it doesn't take long to burn it off on Induction.

I not only can read my b.p. checker within 30 points on consecutive reads. I also know now what is normal. A five to seven point variation is common, because the checker listens to the pulse to decide, and the time between slow pulses can vary by that amount as the pressure is released. Thirty points, no! Thirty points means the user has not learned how to use it well, though he will probably blame the machine.

So, I have been using the b.p checker and monitoring my body for at least 4 years. When there is a variation I review what I ate, and after many months of study, I can usually spot it now. when something changes, I changed something, and it will be obvious. My 30 year career involved being a trained observer, so it is sort of a way of life for me.

Now, on the train wreck comment, that may simply be a nasty comment, intended to be nasty; I certainly do not know. It also may mean "I don't understand this or know anything about it, therefore it can't be important to me or to anyone."

4. At one point, last year, I discovered I could go to the medical lab here, tell them what test I want, and pay the money; they draw the blood and I get the results without having to convince a doctor who usually knows nothing about the issue. I talked to the chemist and told her what I wanted. It took her a while, but she found the test. it is called Colinesterasa. It doesn't actually measure the organophospates in your blood. It measures a chemical which is believed to be 'consumed' by organophospates, so less of it implies more organophospates in your body.

Normal range in Mexico is 5.9 to 12, and mine was 6.10. By Mexican standards, mine would be okay. But, the normal range in the USA is much higher, I think 8 to 18. In the US, I would fail. So, the highest values in Mexico don't even go to the top half of the range in the USA.That is why I think most people here are affected by insecticide. Others may disagree. It may be wrong. When the doctors don't have a clue, it is hard to get useful feedback.

5. Last year, a neighbor kid in his teens died of "blood cancer." At his funeral his extremely distraught girl cousin told me the older brother died of "blood cancer" several years ago. I talked to my doctor acquaintance in the USA, and he told me there is a surge of blood diseases among young people in the Third World, and it is theorized it is a result of excess usage of organophospates. I think he quoted the CDC, but not sure right now.

I have talked to neighbors, even checked their b.p. at times, and it looks to me like my neighbors also have problems with it. Slender, active people should not normally have 150/? The reason I posted this thread was because I have spent a lot of time studying this, and realize there are few doctors here or in the USA who have the slightest clue. Therefore, since most of you look to doctors to learn how to care for yourself, I thought it would be helpful to share my accumulated knowledge. I do not apologize for this decision. If the moderators ban me, so be it.

Let me say I cannot totally blame the big agro companies. Everyone knows the stuff is dangerous and can harm them. But, they plunge on, seldom actually obtaining suitable protective gear, which albeit expensive is nothing compared to the cost of chemicals. It's like in 2016 people still do not use seat belts in their car, though every seat has one.

I do blame the doctors. That is their entire raison d'etre and they do nothing at all.

ifyoucanttakeajoke

May 16, 2016, 11:52 AM

Post #29 of 37 (4339 views)

Shortcut

You were right. I woke up when my head hit the keyboard.

bronco

May 16, 2016, 12:36 PM

Post #30 of 37 (4337 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Blood pressure problems?

you are wrong. vegetarian means no animal products. it also can mean no dairy or eggs. only plant foods.

RuralPuebla

May 16, 2016, 2:47 PM

Post #31 of 37 (4325 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ifyoucanttakeajoke] Blood pressure problems?

Now, that I have supplied my reasons for telling about insecticide and b.p. let me analyze the negative stuff on this thread.

Both ifyoucanttakeajoke (Freud would probably point out such an i.d. implies a quarrelsome person) and Mayo essentially are saying: You can't check your own blood pressure. Which thus means you must wait until you go to a doctor's office to know what your blood pressure is. If you are going camping, don't take your portable checker in your luggage. Ditto on vacation trips. Don't do it. It might be inaccurate. Lord deliver us from that. It might say 115 when it's really 108. Horrors!

Total accuracy is a false trail. Absolute accuracy is not important. If my checker is off by 13 points, it doesn't matter. I can still see when it jumps from 105/118 to 135/148 or 180/193. And, I will know the same information as if it were truly accurate.

This is called FUD, Fear Uncertainty; and Doubt. When Linux (open source programming) was taking over the world Microsoft used FUD every day. Still in the end, the superior product won and there are more devices using open source than Windows.

Millions of times a day, individuals are checking their own b.p. and getting benefit out of it. If you live in Mexico, be aware that insecticide can cause serious b.p. problems, and ignore the FUD.

###
I would like to ask a favor of other readers. When you are new on a forum, it is easy to form false opinions and it takes quite a while to work past those false opinions.

I have obviously formed a rather negative opinion of ifyoucan'ttakeajoke, and that may well be a totally false opinion. If it is, I would like to nip it in the bud right now.

Can anyone give me a link to a posting of that person which was actually positive and productive for the board? I would really appreciate it.

cbviajero

May 16, 2016, 3:46 PM

Post #32 of 37 (4321 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

This is called FUD, Fear Uncertainty; and Doubt.

Hmm,I thought FUD was an acronym for fino,unico y delicioso used by a Mexican company that sells cold cuts..

(This post was edited by cbviajero on May 16, 2016, 3:57 PM)

RuralPuebla

May 17, 2016, 6:45 PM

Post #33 of 37 (4281 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Blood pressure problems?

I knew about the FUD label on certain meats, but did not know what the letters meant! Cool! Thanks.

But, quite a few years ago, the computer geeks started using it for the Microsoft campaign to discredit Linux.

AlanMexicali

May 17, 2016, 11:36 PM

Post #34 of 37 (4266 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Blood pressure problems?

In Reply To

In Reply To

This is called FUD, Fear Uncertainty; and Doubt.

Hmm,I thought FUD was an acronym for fino,unico y delicioso used by a Mexican company that sells cold cuts..

I thought they used the letters FUD because it is pronounced food in Spanish for Expats to relate to.

YucaLandia

May 18, 2016, 7:30 AM

Post #35 of 37 (4247 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] Blood pressure problems?

FUD: Their US Bar-S corp (owners) website in Español confirms " FUD – siglas de fino, único y delicioso ".

which does not rule out their parallel marketing intention of English 'foooood' ...
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on May 18, 2016, 7:31 AM)

AlanMexicali

May 18, 2016, 10:21 AM

Post #36 of 37 (4232 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
FUD: Their US Bar-S corp (owners) website in Español confirms " FUD – siglas de fino, único y delicioso ".

which does not rule out their parallel marketing intention of English 'foooood' ...

Bar-S was a brand I always used at barbeques at home in the US. FUD [pavo] is the brand I use here. Interesting that I always thought they tasted the same and I like the extra strong garlic flavor..

tonyburton / Moderator

May 18, 2016, 3:36 PM

Post #37 of 37 (4207 views)

Shortcut

FUD is owned by Sigma Alimentos, S.A. de C.V., a Mexican multinational that is a subsidiary of the Mexican industrial conglomerate Alfa. In the United States, it operates through Sigma Foods and Bar-S Foods...

Their excruciating corporate website - http://www.bar-sfoods.com/bars-profile.php - says, that in 2010 "We accomplished a very important acquisition in our history: BAR-S Foods Co. which produces and sells cold cut in the U.S.A."
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4