Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

RuralPuebla

May 6, 2016, 4:46 PM

Post #1 of 37 (8408 views)

Shortcut

Blood pressure problems?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Since this part of the forum is on living in Mexico, I am wondering if anyone has had serious blood pressure problems in Mexico?

Several years ago, I checked my b.p. which usually ran around 105/70. And, it was 180/130. Need I say I was panicky?

I called someone in the US who is a doctor and one of the best diagnosticians I have ever known. He said he'd investigate and call me back.

When he did, he told me it correlated to consumption of insecticide. He gave me a link on Wiki (studies show that doctors often look first at Wikipedia since it is so fast) which showed how insecticide causes a variety of problems.

They spray it around like water, with few controls. After the crops are harvested, they turn in goats and pigs who inherently encounter traces of insecticides. Those chemicals bond to fats, and are stored in each case in their body fat, which means hey reach very high concentrations.

I earlier ate a bunch of goat fat at a party, and ended up spending a few hours in the emergency room of the government hospital. They think here that goat fat is dangerous. Only when it has insecticide in it.

In this case, I was cooking with lard from the market, and it was loaded with insecticide from the hogs.

I stopped using lard and changed to olive oil. Olive trees do not eat insecticides, heh, heh. Of course, I am being facetious, but perhaps they get the oil from nations which better control insecticides?

Since the insecticide had entered my own body fat, I had to burn off fat with Atkins, and my b.p. dropped slowly back to the 105/70 range.

With experience, I can soon tell if I get a slug of insecticide, by a sudden surge of b.p. not long after eating. I have one of those automatic b.p. checkers. I stopped eating green beans; too many things to wash properly, and i was getting b.p surges when I ate them. I do eat calabazas and wash each one with dish soap.

The doctors here apparently never heard of it. A personal friend who is a doctor even insists that insecticides are only dangerous if you get it in your lungs. How droll.

I realize things are different in different places but thought I'd share my personal experience just in case someone else has problems.

(This post was edited by RuralPuebla on May 6, 2016, 4:49 PM)

chinagringo

May 6, 2016, 4:54 PM

Post #2 of 37 (8402 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RuralPuebla] Blood pressure problems?

Not surprising on the insecticide factor and it certainly isn't the only factor that crops up. Just this week, the National Football League warned players about consuming beef raised in Mexico and China after an incident with a player:
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

RuralPuebla

May 9, 2016, 11:31 AM

Post #3 of 37 (8255 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Blood pressure problems?

I had read about that, contamination which can cause drug test failures, but had forgotten.

I have wondered if the insecticide issue occurs elsewhere as well. I do know family and friends tend to have high b.p. beyond what I would expect for their physical condition.

A woman friend told me her b.p. was like 230/?. She is heavy, but still that seems high.

Aaron+

May 10, 2016, 10:18 AM

Post #4 of 37 (8193 views)

Shortcut

Happy to report no bp issues, sorry to hear of yours.

Vegetarianism might be an answer, and finding organic vegetables and fruits. Do not know about elsewhere in Mexico, but in the Cd de Mexico and, more usefully for me, here in Mérida, more and more farmers and organic outlets are opening up.

chinagringo

May 10, 2016, 5:27 PM

Post #5 of 37 (8151 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Blood pressure problems?

How many "healthy looking" vegetarians have you spotted in Whole Foods or various other organic markets across the United States? And if you really wish to discuss "healthy looking", how about the many vegetarians wandering the streets of Inida? To each their own but sorry, I am just not buying it. YMMV!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

ifyoucanttakeajoke

May 11, 2016, 6:28 AM

Post #6 of 37 (8124 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
How many "healthy looking" vegetarians have you spotted in Whole Foods or various other organic markets across the United States? And if you really wish to discuss "healthy looking", how about the many vegetarians wandering the streets of Inida? To each their own but sorry, I am just not buying it. YMMV!

+1

YucaLandia

May 11, 2016, 6:42 AM

Post #7 of 37 (8122 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Blood pressure problems?

Couldn't pretty much all Mexicans & Americans ( #1 & #2 in obesity in the world) do with a little less red meat... especially when that red meat and heavy fats ... especially when they contain harmful levels insecticides (as Rural Puebla describes) ?

Vegetarian => means eating fish, eggs, seafood, cheese, dairy, etc + a variety of fresh fruits & veg,

Centuries of history show that Mediterraneans food choices & Japanese food choices lead to longer, much healthier lives ... eating a basically vegetarian diet. (not vegan)

Being #1 and #2 as the fattest, most-diabetic, unhealthiest people in the world ... is hardly worth bragging-on ??

THANKS, Rural Pueblo for the good insights on toxic levels of insecticide in some Mexican meats ... something we had not realized.

;)
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on May 11, 2016, 8:49 AM)

chinagringo

May 11, 2016, 4:33 PM

Post #8 of 37 (8089 views)

Shortcut

Not that the "rocket scientists" at the FDA have a great track record, they seem to have been told to get a handle on and tell the US public what is truly healthy:

http://www.wsj.com/...e-healthy-1462872601

As for the comparison made to the eating habits of the Japanese, I can say from personal experience from 1949 to 1956 that I never wanted for great beef. In fact, when Kobe steaks and Kobe ground beef was the norm - life was pretty damned good! Conversely, living in Bombay, India 1959 to 1965 was a real red meat challenge because water buffalo or 13 year old beef was the norm. Staying healthy was an ongoing challenge!

As for Mexico, we have no complaints, except for maybe a minor one on the lack of what we would deem decent hamburgesas? Yes, there may be insecticides or growth steroids in some of the meat but I feel lucky to have made it this long!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

YucaLandia

May 12, 2016, 4:22 AM

Post #9 of 37 (8070 views)

Shortcut

Yes, Kobe beef is superb,
and at $150 US dollars a pound, I guess that Japanese people continue to eat it daily, as they did in the '50's.
;)

Here's a fun picture showing the kilos & kilos of Kobe beef that Japanese families eat every week:

versus

what a typical Mediterranean (Sicilian) family eats each week:

versus

a typical Mexican's family's weekly 10 kilos of sugary pop & fatty foods...

versus
a typical American family's heavy fat-laden diet:

???

Which points with some American's pride in being big beef-eaters,

and ignores the causes of all the early heart attacks & diabetes in the world obesity-leaders : #1 USA & #2 Mexico?
;)

Maybe a little vegetarian influence in our diets could be a good thing?

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on May 12, 2016, 4:32 AM)

AlanMexicali

May 12, 2016, 5:41 AM

Post #10 of 37 (8059 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

As for Mexico, we have no complaints, except for maybe a minor one on the lack of what we would deem decent hamburgesas? Yes, there may be insecticides or growth steroids in some of the meat but I feel lucky to have made it this long!

It is amazing how many burgers are paper thin and burnt to a crisp here in Mexico. Lately, the last couple of years, I have seen new places serving burgers that are not served that way. They are in high rent áreas and nice places and charge about the same as Carl´s Jr. but have a better ambience and better locations. I also see dozens of new coffee houses lately that have a better ambience than the tradition ones and better music. 7 or 8 years ago these places didn´t exist except in tourist zones or Mexico City, Guadalajara etc. It is hard to find a family style restaurant that doesn´t grill meat well done, even if you ask them not to unless it is stewed.

hunteradvisor

May 12, 2016, 8:15 AM

Post #11 of 37 (8041 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Blood pressure problems?

Vegetarians don't eat anything that had a mother, or as my veg friend says "an anus". Here is the standard definition found on several sites:
Mobile-friendly - a person who does not eat or does not believe in eating meat, fish, fowl, or, in some cases, any food derived from animals, as eggs or cheese, but subsists on vegetables, fruits, nuts, grain, etc. adjective. 2. of or relating to vegetarianism or vegetarians. 3.
My husband and I have been "Flexitarian" for 25 years. We eat fish still..... We also flex when served foods as guests that we might not normally eat.
We are super healthy, active and look ok for our age.
Isabel
www.RanchoSolyMar.com

Maesonna

May 12, 2016, 8:37 AM

Post #12 of 37 (8037 views)

Shortcut

“Vegetarian => means eating fish, eggs, seafood, cheese, dairy, etc + a variety of fresh fruits & veg,

While this describes a vegetarian diet for many people (except for the fish and seafood), actually, the definition of vegetarian is “not eating animals”, whatever else they do or don’t eat.

It gets confusing because some people call themselves vegetarians but they do eat fish and/or seafood; however the majority consensus is that vegetarian means not eating any animal.

Plenty of vegetarians eat fresh fruits and vegetables. So do plenty of non-vegetarians. On the other hand, it’s possible to have a vegetarian diet consisting entirely of junk food (and sadly, there are such people).

joaquinx

May 12, 2016, 9:55 AM

Post #13 of 37 (8028 views)

Shortcut

People don't get fat eating meat, but overeating and relying heavily on carbos like pasta and sugars.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

rvgringo

May 12, 2016, 10:03 AM

Post #14 of 37 (8026 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Blood pressure problems?

Sometimes one weakens: We have not had a chili-dog in over a quarter of a century, and were reminiscing about some of those hot dog joints. It caused us to crave a taste from the past. The meaty sauce was made yesterday and the hot dogs and buns were purchased this morning. Lunch in two hours......

Teo

May 12, 2016, 6:33 PM

Post #15 of 37 (7997 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Blood pressure problems?

...and then there's Pat's Chili Dogs. Oh boy.

RuralPuebla

May 12, 2016, 10:04 PM

Post #16 of 37 (7980 views)

Shortcut

A major correction. I did not mean to imply that only meats or animal fats can give you insecticide poisoning. All the vegetables are susceptible to it. it's just that my specific problem at that time was hog lard used in cooking. I learned and could then tell right away by my b.p. if a bunch of veggies were contaminated by a sudden rise in b.p.

My wife and I now wash all vegetables with dish soap. I mean each individual item. So, if she eats green beans, she washes each bean separately.

I have watched the truck farmers, and they do try to wash off the veggies they sell. But, mass washing is hard to control when you are shipping a ton at a time..

rvgringo

May 13, 2016, 9:06 AM

Post #17 of 37 (7957 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Teo] Blood pressure problems?

In Reply To
...and then there's Pat's Chili Dogs. Oh boy.

We did consider that option, but it is way on the other side of Tucson from where we live, and we have had so many disappointments eating out in this area that we prefer to do it ourselves. They were good, by the way, but we will add even more Hatch chili powder for the next batch. However, we did have to get special buns from a bakery, and extra long hot dogs. It seems everything has been miniaturized......except the prices. We were away for a very long time and the changes are very noticeable.

RuralPuebla

May 13, 2016, 8:45 PM

Post #18 of 37 (7911 views)

Shortcut

I realized after some thought that I should give actual numbers here.

Contaminated goat fat or lard produces up to 180/?

Contaminated vegetables will produce as high as 140/?

My normal b.p. will be as low as 105/65 thanks to years of Atkins.

I have an automated b.p. device, so I can tell right away what is happening. I do recommend those wrist devices. One local doctor was using them in his practice for a while.

(This post was edited by RuralPuebla on May 13, 2016, 8:50 PM)

ifyoucanttakeajoke

May 14, 2016, 6:52 AM

Post #19 of 37 (7893 views)

Shortcut

Watching this thread is like being a witness to a train wreck. You know you should turn away, but you keep looking. The OP is, I suppose, an uber vegetarian, yet in his first post he says he got high BP because he ate a lot of goat fat at a party. The insecticide in the goat fat. Then he says he cooks with hog lard.

No wonder he wears a wrist BP monitor like an Apple Watch. BTW, I bought one of those wrist BP's through Amazon a few years ago. Pretty cool, and easy to use, but I noticed that taking my BP twice, only minutes apart, I could get readings that were up to thirty points (whatever they are called) different.

So I go on line and discover that wrist BP monitors are handy, but not recommended because of the inaccuracy.

Just sayin'.

chinagringo

May 14, 2016, 7:11 AM

Post #20 of 37 (7891 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ifyoucanttakeajoke] Blood pressure problems?

And in yesterday's news: Trader Joes issued a recall of two different ORGANIC VEGGIE BURGER products. This follows an extensive recall of ORGANIC FROZEN VEGGIES that may have Listeria issues after being manufacturered at a plant in Washington State.

Is there a reason that Whole Foods is often referred to as WHOLE PAYCHECK?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

YucaLandia

May 14, 2016, 7:45 AM

Post #21 of 37 (7884 views)

Shortcut

There are some myths worth exploring about wrist BP measurements:

Contrary to the claim above: The wrist BP-monitors themselves are very accurate if you buy a good one.

The common problems come from the owner/operator:
~ Wrist BP changes dramatically with wrist height position.

~ Wrist BP's depend on the owner's diameters of their wrist vessels.

~ People with smaller wrist vessels...
&
~ people who are noting BP readings with their wrist at levels different from their heart

will find widely varying readings, due to the operator... not the monitor.

Reasonable wrist-BP measurements must be made
~ while resting;

~ with the wrist at the level of the heart;

To trust our personal wrist BP measurements, we must at one point compare the resting wrist-BP reading .... to simultaneous/contemporaneous measurements of upper-arm BP measurements... with the wrist at heart level.

This information / instructions are included in the wrist BP monitors we have seen, so each user should carefully read & follow the instructions that come with your wrist BP monitor.

To be able to trust how we are measuring BP:
Once we have established that our wrist BP is equivalent to upper-arn BP (taken with the wrist at heart height), then ... as 'canttakeajoke' found, we should be able to get repetitive successive consistent BP measurements.

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on May 14, 2016, 7:49 AM)

ifyoucanttakeajoke

May 14, 2016, 9:20 AM

Post #22 of 37 (7866 views)

Shortcut

A doctor ( a real doctor ) will never take your blood pressure at the wrist.

cbviajero

May 14, 2016, 9:58 AM

Post #23 of 37 (7859 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Watching this thread is like being a witness to a train wreck.

It could raise your BP just reading it.
I'm off to get some tortas ahogadas,hope they don't kill me..

RuralPuebla

May 15, 2016, 8:07 PM

Post #24 of 37 (7795 views)

Shortcut

The problem here is you are not joking. In fact you remind me of Mexconnect back in the 90's.

I was a senior tech for over 30 years, and we had to make precision measurements with all kinds of devices. And, having checked my b.p. lots of times I can tell if there is a change. Changes from 105 t0 135 to 180, well, maybe you can't read that large a change correctly, but I can.

When a tech uses some new measuring device, the first order of business is to check it out and learn how to use it, and to verify that you get consistent readings in the same circumstances. I did that over a very long time.

In the case of b.p. one also must develop experience with your own body. What one might eat or do which can affect the b.p. And, no matter how insulting you are, I can indeed tell when I get some insecticide in my food. I didn't learn it instantly. As I just said, it takes time to develop confidence.

As far as a Real (defined by you, of course) doctor not using the wrist device. few of us find it practical to have one of the official b,p. apparatus. We use what we have. In my case, I once measured mine at home, then had a doctor friend check it on his device. The result was nearly the same, within a very few points.

I wonder if you are a doctor. There are two things that make me think that. First, you know nothing about insecticide poisoning, which is what I have found when trying to get professional help. Second you view non-doctors as dummies.

RuralPuebla

May 15, 2016, 8:16 PM

Post #25 of 37 (7792 views)

Shortcut

I think at least once and maybe twice I was told I must be a vegetarian, and then icantmakeajoke implies something wrong with me eating goat fat as a vegetarian. I have never said I was a vegetarian and am not at all. I have been on Atkins for many years which is why my b.p. got down to 105/ and lost 40 pounds without hunger.

The new Atkins recommends at least 4 cups of vegetables a day to avoid constipation.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4