Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

skier14

May 13, 2016, 10:19 AM

Post #26 of 33 (4251 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RuralPuebla] Residente Temporal to Naturalización (Married to Mexican)

Can't Post | Private Reply
That is the reason our car, house and its possessions are in my wife's name only.

ifyoucanttakeajoke

May 13, 2016, 10:42 AM

Post #27 of 33 (4249 views)

Shortcut

Re: [skier14] Residente Temporal to Naturalización (Married to Mexican)

In Reply To
That is the reason our car, house and its possessions are in my wife's name only.

I am assuming you and your wife have been together for many, many years with absolutely no chance of future strife?

skier14

May 13, 2016, 7:42 PM

Post #28 of 33 (4212 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ifyoucanttakeajoke] Residente Temporal to Naturalización (Married to Mexican)

We have been together for only 17 yrs with lots of strife, passed, current and I assume future. Male contra female. When I bought the house 16 years ago, it went in her name.

RuralPuebla

May 13, 2016, 7:43 PM

Post #29 of 33 (4211 views)

Shortcut

"That is the reason our car, house and its possessions are in my wife's name only."

I missed it. What is the reason your car; house; and its possession are in your wife's name only? Of course, this wouldn't be our business but you mentioned it. And, I didn't fully understand.

A few years ago, a local attorney in my village had some sort of legal problems. So he signed everything over to his wife. She promptly sued for divorce and got every last cent and stick.

In most, perhaps all, states in Mexico there are two choices for a marriage and property. First, is full joint ownership of everything, such as exists in Texas.

Second, there is a provision for separate property. This document is signed at the time of a legal marriage, much like a prenup we talk about in the USA. If that document does not exist, it is joint property by default.

Those who were married out of nation naturally do not have those documents because US law does not provide for such documents valid in Mexico.

I must assume you know more about your circumstances than I do. But, at the same time I a not sure you can give her marital property in her full name. If she wants to sell, for example, the house or real property there is a chance the notary will note you are married and demand your signature, too. I am not sure of this, but I suggest based on things I have seen this might be the case.

And, no matter how long you are married, there is always the reality that we never know fully what is in another person's heart. I was married nearly 40 years when my wife tried to pull a fast one on me, and I am not posting the details here. She learned she could not, exactly as I described above.

RuralPuebla

May 13, 2016, 7:48 PM

Post #30 of 33 (4208 views)

Shortcut

Crossed posting. Sorry. I was here as a tourist when we bought the land and built the house. so, to make things easy we just put it in her name as she is a Mexican citizen. We found out some years later that being married without separate property documents it doesn't matter if her name is on the escrituras. I am still considered a joint owner by law. I suspect that is the case with you but that is only a wild guess.

rockydog85251

May 14, 2016, 5:49 AM

Post #31 of 33 (4194 views)

Shortcut

When I was selling real estate in Mazatlan, I had a transaction where the wife DID have separate ownership papers, but the well-known notario insisted that the husband, who was not a pleasant person, sign a document as well. I'm not sure what it was called, but I'm sure the notario was covering everyone's backside.
Willie

RuralPuebla

May 15, 2016, 7:43 PM

Post #32 of 33 (4159 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rockydog85251] Residente Temporal to Naturalización (Married to Mexican)

Sounds like it. Heh, heh.

RuralPuebla

May 15, 2016, 7:47 PM

Post #33 of 33 (4158 views)

Shortcut

At the other extreme, my wife's aunt and her Free Union husband of around 72 years (they were in their 90's) died. Not long before that the uncle FU husand was selling land. The notary said that due to the very long time, the more than 70 years, he was treating her as a joint owner even though they were not legally married. So, the paperwork had to be done in that manner.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4