Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

Rioesmarex1

Apr 28, 2016, 9:35 PM

Post #1 of 14 (5549 views)

Shortcut

Reverse immigrantion question

Can't Post | Private Reply
Normally this forum is U.S. citizens asking about Mexican procedures but my question is the reverse.
I have a good friend here in Mexico who wants to visit the U.S. on a short term temporary basis and he has heard of and asked me if I knew anything about something called the " bracelet " program, whereby a Mexican with a valid Mexican passport, who doesn't want to go through the lengthy process of applying for a visa, can go to the border with his passport and ask to have an electronic tracking bracelet attached which would ensure his return to Mexico within the allotted visitation time.
Trying to contact a live person at the U.S.Embassy in Mexico city or at Customs/Border Control is like pulling teeth, so I was wondering if anyone has heard of this program ( if indeed it actually exists ) and what is involved .... is it as simple as showing up at the border and asking for bracelet.
Any help is appreciated

rvgringo

Apr 29, 2016, 10:05 AM

Post #2 of 14 (5516 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rioesmarex1] Reverse immigrantion question

Maybe he heard about the old Bracero Program for migrant workers. I never heard of an electronic bracelet being used.

braceroarchive.org/about

Rioesmarex1

Apr 29, 2016, 10:14 AM

Post #3 of 14 (5513 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Reverse immigrantion question

Yes. I have heard of the Bracero program but I believe that expired back in the 60's
If he heard of this just recently then I doubt it is the same program.
Anybody else ???

rvgringo

Apr 29, 2016, 10:20 AM

Post #4 of 14 (5510 views)

Shortcut

Ah Ha! This may be what he heard about:

http://www.bataraimmigrationlaw.com/...rack-immigrants.html

(This post was edited by RickS on Apr 30, 2016, 1:28 PM)

cbviajero

Apr 29, 2016, 10:47 AM

Post #5 of 14 (5506 views)

Shortcut

Post deleted by cbviajero | Private Reply

Rioesmarex1

Apr 29, 2016, 10:54 AM

Post #6 of 14 (5501 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Reverse immigrantion question

O.K. great ..... now where and how do I find out more about the program ?

bournemouth

Apr 29, 2016, 11:03 AM

Post #7 of 14 (5495 views)

Shortcut

I don't believe such a program exists, sad to say for your friend.

cbviajero

Apr 29, 2016, 11:15 AM

Post #8 of 14 (5492 views)

Shortcut

You can Google it,but I don't think that it applies in your friend's case.

Rioesmarex1

Apr 29, 2016, 2:06 PM

Post #9 of 14 (5471 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Reverse immigrantion question

I read up on the link and that only applies to the kids of immigrant families ..... not quite the same as just wanting a temporary visit .... but thanks for the input.
Port of entry immigration office in Brownsville can probably answer the question ( that's what the border patrol told me ) but getting through to a live person at the port of entry is almost as bad as trying to reach a live person at the U.S. Embassy .... nigh on impossible. Just a series of push 1 for this push 2 for this which takes you round in a circle going nowhere and no option to speak to a representative.
Sometimes I think they design it that way because they just don't want to talk to you.
I'll keep trying because I feel so bad for honest Mexican s who have such a hard time visiting the U.S., when it is so easy for us to visit their country

mattoleriver

Apr 29, 2016, 3:13 PM

Post #10 of 14 (5460 views)

Shortcut

It appears to be for families caught crossing illegally and allowed to temporarily stay in the U.S. The ankle bracelet is to assure that the offending "head of household" will show up for a court appearance.
http://www.pbs.org/...rants-caught-border/

(This post was edited by RickS on Apr 30, 2016, 1:30 PM)

skier14

Apr 30, 2016, 10:35 AM

Post #11 of 14 (5409 views)

Shortcut

The bracero program worked great for most farmers and laborers. Government said there were to many unemployed Americans so it was discontinued. The first year without braceros was a disaster as the unemployed didn't show up for work or if they did, they only worked for a short time as the work was not easy. Farmers had crops to harvest without legal help so they turned to illegals and so it continues. Most bracers made enough money to return to their home countries and live well until the next year. They payed payroll taxes and into Social Security of which few got refunds or benefits.

(This post was edited by RickS on Apr 30, 2016, 1:31 PM)

tonyburton

Apr 30, 2016, 6:29 PM

Post #12 of 14 (5375 views)

Shortcut

Re: [skier14] Reverse immigrantion question

The bracero program did not work well for everyone - see Many Mexican Bracero workers still trying to claim their pay

skier14

May 1, 2016, 9:05 AM

Post #13 of 14 (5337 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Reverse immigrantion question

Even though the braceros were often treated badly by labor contractors(mostly Mexicans) and their own government(10% withholding), not getting social security benefits, and often bad living conditions(contractors option) while in the US, the ones I personally talked to during the early 60's told me they would return every year if possible. A good peach-picker could earn about $100 a day working from just after daylight to 1:00 in afternoon. Damn good wages for the early 60's I worked as a sales representative and crop pest consultant for an agricultural chemical company(Niagara Chemical Division of FMC Corp.) during 1962-65 in the Central Valley of California and was in the field with braceros daily during the harvest of mainly Peaches, Almonds, Grapes,and Walnuts. It is, in my opinion, that the abandonment of the program was mainly due to the effort of the Cesar Chavez Unionization efforts to get rid of foreign workers so that higher paying job could be available to Union cardholders. Some farmer organizations built nice living complexes for any worker, braceros or not, where the worker could have either small apartment like accommodations or barracks depending on the workers' family situation including facilities for laundering and open areas for recreation and relaxation. The first year after the abandonment, the Federal Department of Labor a list of American Indian Tribes to contact for labor. The farmer organization that I was most familiar with elected to contact the Navajo Tribe. Yes they would supply workers for fee per worker and rules. Each worker was to be provided round trip transportation from the Reservation to the work area, living accommodations including meals and R&R. The grower organization agreed and the grower arrived about a week before peach harvest began. At the end of the 1st day of harvest only 1 worker remained as the others complained about the heat and peach fuzz itch and returned to the reservation with the return ticket. Growers had a hard time harvesting their crop, but they did with help from the local community and illegals. Such is Life.

cbviajero

May 1, 2016, 10:30 AM

Post #14 of 14 (5332 views)

Shortcut

Re: [skier14] Reverse immigrantion question

My wife's grandfather was a bracero in the 50s,with the money he earned he bought a house in Guanajuato,but the working and living conditions weren't very good.
I was working in Oxnard CA when Immigration rounded up a bunch of strawberry pickers,the farmer was pissed,he put an ad in the local newspaper offering jobs to Americans,of the 50 who showed up 49 quit before noon,it's hard work..

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4