Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

at7mbe

Apr 27, 2016, 11:33 AM

Post #1 of 8 (11373 views)

Shortcut

Telcel plans and non-plans

Can't Post | Private Reply
After too many times running out of saldo and finding the phone wasn't working, plus liking to be able to check e-mail or consult a movie schedule or map while away from WiFi, it was time to find out what TelCel offers. As previously posted on Michoacan_net, the least expensive plan is $199/month if you have your own phone. That includes unlimited calling and texting within Mexico and to the US and Canada, and the same when you're in the US or Canada (within country or back to Mexico). Also included is 1,000 MB of data, and unlimited Facebook, WhatsApp and Twitter:

http://www.telcel.com/...tengo-plan-de-renta#

You do have to sign up for a minimum of 18 months, which is a bit of a downside if you're not here full time and have another US or Canadian cell phone that you use there.

The times I've had a data plan, I found I didn't even use 200 MB per month if I was careful about usage and set my phone so that applications do not transfer data in the background (like updates, backups, uploading photos) when on the cell network, only when connected to WiFi. My e-mail is set not to automatically download attachments and to only retrieve the first 2KB of any mail message. I can get the rest of the message later, by tapping on it if it's of interest.

An alternative that I selected is a $100/month arrangement with no contract, something they call Paquetes Amigo Sin Límite:

http://www.telcel.com/...tes-amigo-sin-limite

It still has unlimited calling and texting in and between Mexico, the US and Canada, same as the $199 plan, as well as Facebook, WhatsApp and Twitter. It just doesn't have a contract and the amount of data allowed is smaller, which is fine with me.

For a one time, 30-day activation, say at the $100 level, just have at least $100 of saldo in your phone, and text SL100 to the number 5050. That's it. It's active immediately. No visits to a TelCel office. You just have to remember to do it again when it expires in 30 days. Or, you can make it recurring: Add an R suffix, so instead text SL100R to 5050. Anytime during the month, just add another $100 of saldo, or as I've done, put in $200 or $300 at once, and they will take it down $100 every 30 days. If you don't have at least $100 in the phone, the plan stops.

Leaving for awhile and don't need the service, but have more than $100 of saldo? Cancel the automatic recurrence by texting SL100 Baja to 5050 (if you have the $100 plan, use other numbers for '100' as appropriate).

If you want to know how much data you have left in any 30-day cycle, CALL (don't text) *135#. To learn how much saldo is in your phone, call *133#. There's no charge for these calls. For the first week or two that I had the SL100 plan, I was calling *133# a lot, just to verify that no matter who I called or texted in Mexico or the US, my saldo was frozen at the value it had after their $100 withdrawal. It was.

It seems that both Telcel and TexMex are becoming competitive in their offerings. Once I learned to manage limited data through the cell network, and not treat it the same as a home WiFi connection, the savings and convenience are terrific.

-- Mark

ifyoucanttakeajoke

Apr 27, 2016, 12:37 PM

Post #2 of 8 (11365 views)

Shortcut

Re: [at7mbe] Telcel plans and non-plans

I put 100 pesos on my Telcel phone every TWO months, and rarely use it all. I carry a phone so I can have it if I need it, and the internet in my pocket.

david3528

Jun 16, 2016, 9:32 AM

Post #3 of 8 (10138 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ifyoucanttakeajoke] Telcel plans and non-plans

At7mbe, thank you very much for the info, which has always dodged me! I got the Amigo Sin Limite for 100 back in Feb, however, after payment, I get a text the validity is for 25 days. Upon checking using *133#, it tells me this is the subscription I have as well. But why 25 days?

DavidHF

Jun 16, 2016, 4:09 PM

Post #4 of 8 (10089 views)

Shortcut

Telcel and TEX-Mex? Who is TEX-Mex?

Telcel now has a $100peso plan

I like the $199 plan which includes 1.2Gigs of data, way more than I use.

at7mbe

Jun 16, 2016, 6:49 PM

Post #5 of 8 (10078 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] Telcel plans and non-plans

Tex-Mex is the burrito-burping NOTB partner of TelMex.

Since my original post, Telcel has changed the terms of their "monthly" plan slightly. $100 pesos used to buy you unlimited calling and texting to/from three countries, 200 MB of data, and it lasted for 30 days. Calling/texting is the same under the revised $100 plan, but now they provide 300 MB of data and have shortened the period to 25 days. Also included is 1 GB of WhatsApp, Twitter and Facebook:

-- Mark

david3528

Jun 17, 2016, 6:20 AM

Post #6 of 8 (10034 views)

Shortcut

Thank you for the clarification!

chinagringo

Jun 17, 2016, 7:46 AM

Post #7 of 8 (10023 views)

Shortcut

What a great addition to the plan by adding WhatsApp. It should greatly enhance the level of "silent conversation" at the tables in restaurants!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

roberth

Jun 18, 2016, 6:51 AM

Post #8 of 8 (9944 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Tex-Mex is the burrito-burping NOTB partner of TelMex.

Since my original post, Telcel has changed the terms of their "monthly" plan slightly. $100 pesos used to buy you unlimited calling and texting to/from three countries, 200 MB of data, and it lasted for 30 days. Calling/texting is the same under the revised $100 plan, but now they provide 300 MB of data and have shortened the period to 25 days. Also included is 1 GB of WhatsApp, Twitter and Facebook:

-- Mark

Thanks for the heads up about the increased data with the 100p plan. I knew about the new 25 day span, but didn't realize they increased the data amount. At least there's some tradeoff in our favor.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4