Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

charco09

Apr 26, 2016, 12:15 PM

Post #1 of 7 (7919 views)

Shortcut

Staying as a tourist after residente temporal expires

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi,

Looking for some advice with regards the residente temporal.

Mine expires at the end of June and I'm planning to stay for an extra month to do some travelling. However I can't find any information on whether you can stay in the country as a tourist (and if so for how long) after the expiration of the visa.

In my experience when I had a similar visa in Chile I had the same number of days that would be given to a tourist from the date when the visa expired.

Can anyone help with some more info?

Gracias!

RickS

Apr 26, 2016, 12:51 PM

Post #2 of 7 (7910 views)

Shortcut

Re: [charco09] Staying as a tourist after residente temporal expires

I have heard of no such condition after a Residente Temporal visa expires.... but then I don't hear of everything.

You can, of course, leave the country upon expiration and 'come right back in on a Tourist Card'.

rvgringo

Apr 26, 2016, 1:25 PM

Post #3 of 7 (7903 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Staying as a tourist after residente temporal expires

Actually, if it would be more convenient, the OP could leave Mexico at any time before the Residente Temporal visa expires, and re-enter as a tourist for 180 days. If there is a vehicle, it must also leave and get a new Importada Temporal upon re-entry.
I know of no way to change to a tourist permit inside Mexico.

AlanMexicali

Apr 26, 2016, 2:55 PM

Post #4 of 7 (7887 views)

Shortcut

For a month you could play dumb if they actually ask to see your RT card and say something like, O! Did it expire last week? They might not stop you anywhere to ask to see it unless you get into a car accident or another police type situation. Then your insurance company might not pay and be a way out for them - invalid RT visa and invalid TIP. That is the worst case senerio; car accident, police situation or medical emergency. IMO

fugawibill

Apr 26, 2016, 7:26 PM

Post #5 of 7 (7852 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] Staying as a tourist after residente temporal expires

You don't say, but have you had your temporal for 4 years? If not, just renew and save yourself time and money. Otherwise, leave and come back which is the legal option, and recommended by previous posters.

(This post was edited by fugawibill on Apr 26, 2016, 7:30 PM)

charco09

Apr 27, 2016, 6:21 AM

Post #6 of 7 (7803 views)

Shortcut

Re: [fugawibill] Staying as a tourist after residente temporal expires

Thanks for the replies, seems like leaving might be the option to make sure there are no issues leaving with an expired residente temporal.

I've only had it for one year and I've chosen not to extend my work contract past June so assume there is no way of renewing if you can't show that you will continue to be employeed?

Maesonna

Apr 27, 2016, 10:36 AM

Post #7 of 7 (7765 views)

Shortcut

Im just guessing, but it might be possible to have your visa renewed without work permission. The only snag is whether youd then have to prove some income.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4