Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

MOTRV8D

Apr 25, 2016, 10:01 PM

Post #1 of 3 (3902 views)

Shortcut

Leaving San Diego, driving to La Paz in early May

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello, I'm a noob and just started reading some of the threads on here... thought I'd post a thread to say hi and get some info.

Wife and I are heading to La Paz starting on Cinco de Mayo, staying at a timeshare through the 12th, driving back 13th-16th. We found seemingly good places to stay as rest stops along the way.

Leaving San Diego and driving south, the first night we're staying in El Rosario at the Baja Cactus Hotel. Several hours driving south the day after that and we're at the Halfway Inn in Guerrero Negro. Several hours drive the next day and we stay at the Lareto Bay Golf Resort and Spa. They are basically just overnight stays, not doing any activities other than sightseeing at any of those stops... but they all have pretty damn good reviews on Trip Advisor. From there we drive to our timeshare destination where we're staying at the Club El Moro in La Paz. Not the fanciest or finest resort in Mexico but does have reasonably good reviews as well on TripAdvisor.

Anyone stayed in La Paz? Recs? Know a great fishing boat captain? Restaurants? Looking for info on stuff to do, we're planning on at least a one-day fishing boat, local sight-seeing and one of the days there we'll likely head south on a 2-hour drive to Cabo where we'll take in more sights and eat at a local eatery. I love Mexican beer so if we run into a brewery we'll prolly try 'em.

Back in the early 2000s the wife and I would visit Mexico almost yearly, but stopped going because well, you know, cartels and banditos. Now, I'm hearing that it's very safe to drive in Mexico (as long as you stay on the main highway), at least a lot safer than like a few years ago. I guy I ran into at a local bar recently told me he heads down there a lot and there's no problem now, safer than driving in the US. Oh rly?

Any tips and info are greatly appreciated. TIA...

NorthAmericanTraveler

Apr 29, 2016, 6:31 PM

Post #2 of 3 (3854 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MOTRV8D] Leaving San Diego, driving to La Paz in early May

I've heard that driving in Baja is pretty safe. You won't need a temporary import permit for your vehicle, but you will need a tourist card that is obtainable at the border. It costs around $20 USD and is valid for 180 days. You have to cancel it when you leave the country as well.

I'll also recommend the BajaNomad Forum to you. There are a lot of people on there that actively travel in Baja California and they will probably be more knowledgeable than anyone on here.

Hope I was able to help.

MOTRV8D

May 2, 2016, 11:19 PM

Post #3 of 3 (3808 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NorthAmericanTraveler] Leaving San Diego, driving to La Paz in early May

Thanks for the hot tip man. I appreciate it, I did post a new thread on there.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4