Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Anciana

Apr 24, 2016, 1:57 PM

Post #1 of 7 (8117 views)

Shortcut

How to get cats from Cancun to Merida?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi, all

I have spent the last five years of my retirement in Europe (currently in Spain), but am planning to change venue to Mexican part of Yucatan, most likely Merida. I'll be flying from Spain to Cancun with my two cats and need advice on how to transport them from the airport to Merida. Public buses don't take pets (at least they did not five years ago when I was traveling from Belize to Cancun with the same two pets and i had to take a taxi from Belize, which was a rather expensive affair) and my US driver's license expired when I was in Europe, so I can't rent a car before I go visit USA again.
And, are there any catteries near Merida or Cancun?

I know this is an odd question, since most people traveling with pets use their cars, not airplanes, but perhaps someone here is in the know?

AlanMexicali

Apr 24, 2016, 4:02 PM

Post #2 of 7 (8100 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anciana] How to get cats from Cancun to Merida?

Iīve seen cats and dogs being carried on first class busses in carriers put in the baggage compartment for free many times. Recently 2 Nuns had 3 cats in 3 carriers and paid nothing as I was behind them checking my ticket at the bus station companyīs desk. I have asked others and they also said it cost nothing for their pets.
I donīt use second class busses so donīt go to the second class bus stations so I donīt know about their policies. Iīve seen pets at times in carriers for the last decade at bus stations.

Anciana

Apr 24, 2016, 4:12 PM

Post #3 of 7 (8096 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] How to get cats from Cancun to Merida?

Yes, thanks. I remember now I was told they could go in the baggage compartment of a bus, but last time I was traveling during the hottest period and the Belize bus was not first class and had no ac, so i was concerned with the cats survival. A first class bus and an early departure - when it is cooler - should solve my problem. Thanks again. :-)
BTW I also found out in the meantime that there is also an air connection between Cancun and Merida, but don't yet know whether this airline takes pets.

AlanMexicali

Apr 24, 2016, 5:00 PM

Post #4 of 7 (8093 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Yes, thanks. I remember now I was told they could go in the baggage compartment of a bus, but last time I was traveling during the hottest period and the Belize bus was not first class and had no ac, so i was concerned with the cats survival. A first class bus and an early departure - when it is cooler - should solve my problem. Thanks again. :-)
BTW I also found out in the meantime that there is also an air connection between Cancun and Merida, but don't yet know whether this airline takes pets.

First class busses, at least Volvo and Mercedes, have air conditioning in the baggage compartment.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Apr 24, 2016, 5:00 PM)

playaboy

Apr 26, 2016, 8:05 AM

Post #5 of 7 (8043 views)

Shortcut

It won't be cheap but you can rent a private car with driver.

Anciana

Apr 26, 2016, 8:31 AM

Post #6 of 7 (8039 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] How to get cats from Cancun to Merida?

Thanks. I did that last time, from Belize to Playa del Carmen - it was not a regular taxi, but rather a car with a driver. And cheap it definitively was NOT.

AliCat

Jul 2, 2016, 11:39 AM

Post #7 of 7 (7396 views)

Shortcut

HI,
I'm brand new on this forum too. Eventually I also plan to move to Merida, or a city close by there, and will be coming down with a cat. I'm wondering, have you got this solved yet?

I am a widow, and have finally decided to move to the beach, or close by, in a country that I can better afford as a retiree....Mexico....and I chose the Yucatan. I'll be in Merida in January, 2017 and wandering around the peninsula trying to find if there is any place better than Merida to live full time. Maybe not.

Just thought it would be nice to start making friends, and friends with cats are the best in my book!!!

Ally

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4