Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

mexigrl

Feb 18, 2016, 7:36 PM

Post #1 of 18 (25503 views)

Shortcut

Purchasing a car in MX ... driving it back and forth to the U.S.

| Private Reply
Hi

I've been searching on this subject and keep finding posts with thoughts and ideas but nothing with actual facts or laws from what I can tell.

I live in San Miguel de Allende part time (6 months) of the year. I've always traveled on tourist visas and can continue to do so. My current US car is a lease and they will not allow me to bring it. I want a car while in Mexico so I have two choices. One purchase a car and try to nationalize it when I become permanente (which I am planning to do). I know that has been a nightmare for some time and have friends that are waiting more than a year.
The other option is to buy local. I know that would be easier as far as keeping the car and the paperwork.

What I can't find out is can I drive a MX plated car into the U.S.? If so, is there a maximum amount of time it can be in the U.S. and could I run into any issues going back to MX.

If anyone has experience with this or links to information that would be helpful.

Thanks!

playaboy

Feb 19, 2016, 5:05 AM

Post #2 of 18 (25467 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mexigrl] Purchasing a car in MX ... driving it back and forth to the U.S.

| Private Reply
It all depends on your legal residency. Mexican residents can drive their Mexican cars for up to a year in the USA

You are a tourist in Mexico. I am sure you can buy a car but can you register a Mexican titled car as a tourist in SMA?

USA residents need to drive USA registered cars in the USA. Vehicle registration laws are State laws. Check the State where you legally reside motor vehicle dept's regulations for the exact law.

Importing a car into Mexico is not hard to do, at the BORDER, if you meet the requirements. The broker does everything for you.

Sitting at home in your car, paying money upfront to a facilitator to magically produce legal import paperwork and/or registration, has proven to be one of the biggest fraud schemes perpetuated against expats the last 4 years (as your waiting friends continue to wait, wait, wait) .

(This post was edited by playaboy on Feb 19, 2016, 5:10 AM)

mexigrl

Feb 19, 2016, 9:28 AM

Post #3 of 18 (25430 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Purchasing a car in MX ... driving it back and forth to the U.S.

| Private Reply
My residency will still be US as I split my time equally and am still traveling, at least this year, on a tourist visa. It almost sounds as if I'm better off staying on a tourist visa and bringing a car from the U.S. The only question I have on that is what if I get to the point where I want to stay longer than 6 months? If I take it back over the border and then re-enter Mexico could I have a problem with getting another tourist visa and car approval?

Thanks

RickS

Feb 19, 2016, 10:33 AM

Post #4 of 18 (25418 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Well, no one can predict what might happen in the future, but tons of folks do just what you are suggesting you might want to do..... get another tourist card and car permit after surrendering one. There has been some discussions about a particular 'agent' at a border (Belize for example) who has denied this option to one particular "tourist" but there is no widespread accounting of such becoming a custom or a law.

RuralPuebla

Apr 7, 2016, 12:04 PM

Post #5 of 18 (24496 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Permanent importation of a US car has recently become harder. I drove my 2002 Sienna into Mexico, first as tourist permit, then FM-3, then as Family Unity Temporary Resident. I was told that as of last year, I could not import a 2002, had to be a newer one than that, but not too new. So, I bought a used Sienna from Toyota in Puebla.

You need to have your car insured on both sides. We used State Farm in the US, and Qualitas via Lewis and Lewis (I think that's the name) in Mexico. For the used car we bought, we bought Qualitas directly from Qualitas.

But, yes, almost any status but Permanent Resident, you can drive your car back and forth.

there was a question whether you can take your Mexican car into the US. At Anzalduas, I asked and the gate agent said, yes, you can. Get temporary insurance for the state you will be in, usually available back a ways on the highway, and you can enter. I have not done so yet, but will in October.

hunteradvisor

Apr 8, 2016, 4:53 AM

Post #6 of 18 (24459 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
We drive our Mex plated vehicle to CA every summer for a couple of months with no problems. The US border officer said there was no issue. I don't think there was a time limit as it's likely tied to visa status and we are both citizens (US). Remember that you will not be able to purchase collision insurance only liability. Probably because it's too expensive to do repairs in the US for Mex insurance companies. Since you cannot have a US registration any longer, I believe you would not be able to buy US insurance, like Geico. We also use Qualitas.
Isabel
www.RanchoSolyMar.com

RuralPuebla

Apr 10, 2016, 4:37 PM

Post #7 of 18 (24367 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hunteradvisor] Purchasing a car in MX ... driving it back and forth to the U.S.

| Private Reply
Even though I can legally do so, I have no intention of driving my Mexican car away from the border in the USA I have been unlawfully harassed in KY and Mississippi just for Texas plates, and would not think of driving Mexican plates in the heartland. If we drive in to the interior, we will rent a car.

rvgringo

Apr 11, 2016, 10:27 AM

Post #8 of 18 (24319 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RuralPuebla] Purchasing a car in MX ... driving it back and forth to the U.S.

| Private Reply

In Reply To
“Even though I can legally do so, I have no intention of driving my Mexican car away from the border in the USA I have been unlawfully harassed in KY and Mississippi just for Texas plates, and would not think of driving Mexican plates in the heartland. If we drive in to the interior, we will rent a car.“

REPLY:
You may recall that KY folks were at the Alamo, and that some MS folks took their slaves and went to TX. None returned.
We drove our Jalisco plated car throughout the southern USA without incident. I am sure you can do the same, if you wish.

(This post was edited by rvgringo on Apr 11, 2016, 10:34 AM)

RuralPuebla

Apr 22, 2016, 3:57 PM

Post #9 of 18 (23955 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Purchasing a car in MX ... driving it back and forth to the U.S.

| Private Reply
Let me repeat. With Texas license plates, two times I was illegally stopped. Once in Mississippi and once in Kentucky. In both cases, nothing was wrong with my car nor with my driving. Not even three over. I drive to avoid contact with law enforcement. They wanted to check me out and made up a bogus excuse to do so. This has happened to other members of my family as well. With US plates.

The first time the MHP tried to rip my rear hatch open which was an illegal act. After I thought about it for a while, I came to the opinion that if he had succeeded, he would have 'found' something illegal in there. In Hattiesburg Econolodge, the desk clerk told me there had been many such complaints from that section of highway.

So, if you want to drive Mexican license plates into the interior of the US, please do so. I have made the decision not to do so based on actual experience. Nor do I drive after dark in the USA with Texas plates, based on personal experience, which is all I can do.

I have no idea how much you drive in the USA, nor where you drive. I have driven at least 250,000 miles in the USA since I retired in 1997, and over most of the US east of the Mississippi River. Not including the mileage in Mexico. I have had a lot of exposure to what is happening out there. I MUST base my decisions on my personal knowledge, just as you must.

YucaLandia

Apr 23, 2016, 6:05 PM

Post #10 of 18 (23883 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RuralPuebla] Purchasing a car in MX ... driving it back and forth to the U.S.

| Private Reply
Rural Puebla's bad experiences with US cops are far far too common.

Between 1989 and 2010, U.S. 'law enforcement' seized an estimated $12.6 billion in asset forfeiture cases, boldly increasing their seizures of our $$ by a 19.4% annual average, and the problem has only gotten worse over time.

In 2010 alone, the value of assets seized grew by +52.8% from 2009 and was six times greater than the total for 1989.

By 2014, that number had ballooned to roughly $4.5 billion for the year, making 2014's seizures a full 35% of the entire number of assets collected from 1989 to 2010.

According to FBI data, police asset seizures exceeded the total amount of goods stolen by criminals in 2014 burglary offenses.

By 2014 - 2015m the police were taking more assets than the criminals.

For Texas alone, roadside police shake-downs are netting the local cops $$ millions seized without charges & without trials from ordinary Americans from other states, who dare drive through rural Texas areas.

http://www.forbes.com/...profit/#47366c8c3aa8

The Washington Post detailed the police abuses here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/...9/06/stop-and-seize/

US local police seized "hundreds of millions of dollars in cash from motorists and others not charged with crimes, a Washington Post investigation found. Thousands of people have been forced to fight legal battles that can last more than a year to get their money back."

The police even carry waivers in their cars, offering to return half the innocent driver's seized cash ... with no charges filed ... if the driver agrees to not file charges nor sue the police...

... so, some people justifiably decide to not add to their risks when traveling US highways.

steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Apr 23, 2016, 6:06 PM)

YucaLandia

Apr 23, 2016, 6:13 PM

Post #11 of 18 (23879 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Purchasing a car in MX ... driving it back and forth to the U.S.

| Private Reply
Wondering why police's road-side shake-downs have increased so dramatically in the past 10 years?

Police have been taking seminars & classes from specialty firms on how seize innocent people's cash in roadside shakedowns,

per the WaPo research findings.
-
Read-on MacDuff

chinagringo

Apr 23, 2016, 6:22 PM

Post #12 of 18 (23877 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Purchasing a car in MX ... driving it back and forth to the U.S.

| Private Reply
PLEASE! What a crock of you know what! Just because you are ex-pats whole believe you are alll so special - slamming the police, TSA and Customes/Border Patrol is beyond belief! I happen to be a proud Independent American Citizen who has not only driven millions of miles in the US but also enjoyed crossing the border into Mexico numerous times over the last 15+ years. I have absolutely nothing negative to say and would submit that those who have problems may have brought it on themselves?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

YucaLandia

Apr 24, 2016, 5:57 AM

Post #13 of 18 (23852 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Purchasing a car in MX ... driving it back and forth to the U.S.

| Private Reply
Is it likely that Forbes investigators, Washington Post investigators, and Canadian's CBC investigators + the 10,000's of Americans (especially Black Americans) who have reported the roadside shakedowns ... are all wrong?

Why do Canadians complain that they're being targeted, especially in Southern States, due to having Canadian plates?

Yes, most Canadians pass happily through the USA, but there are others who swear ... never again.

-------------
Why are police officers carrying pre-printed waivers in their cars?

Why carry waivers that specifically state that the driver surrenders/forgoes all future rights to sue or file charges against the police & local government ... if the cop returns half of the driver's cash?

--------------------
As old white guys, it's easy to imagine that the police treat everyone else with the same deference that the old white guys receive ... just because they are old ... and white.

Remember, not too long ago Texans were still happy to chain an innocent Black man to their car, and drag him to death.

RuralPueblo describes real events, that occur far too frequently.

US police's roadside-shakedowns will likely continue to grow, as long as ordinary Americans

continue to blame the victims, for 'bringing it on themselves'.

steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Apr 24, 2016, 7:59 AM)

RuralPuebla

Apr 25, 2016, 5:43 PM

Post #14 of 18 (23740 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Purchasing a car in MX ... driving it back and forth to the U.S.

| Private Reply
Let us see what I may have done which prompted both cops to stop me illegally.

In Kentucky, I had my cruise control set at around 55 mph, in a construction zone. he was parked at the end of the construction zone. AFTER I passed him, I dialed cc up to 70, the normal speed limit. He came racing after me. He told me he had clocked me at 70 in a 55 zone. Pure and total lie. he hoped to steal my car, and make brownie points with his boss. As I note below in nearly a million miles I have never had a speeding ticket and I was not speeding then, either. I wrote a really nasty letter to the Commissioner of the KY HP and told him it will eventually be stopped. The US is the wrong country to pull garbage like that on law abiding citizens.

They get away with it, because dummies believe cops don't lie and so any jury trial the innocent citizen loses.

In Mississippi, south of Hattiesburg, around 9:30 pm, I had cruise control on the posted speed limit. I came up to a rental truck being pawed through by Mississippi's finest. Being from Texas, I pulled over to the left lane as required by law and went on.

A few miles north I spotted a HP car racing frantically to catch me. He pulled in behind me like a hawk pursuing a rabbit he planned to eat. Finally, probably after contacting HQ for my car i.d, he pulled me over.

He came up behind my car on foot, and gave a mighty tug on my rear hatch, trying to get it open. He failed.

Then, he walked around to my wife's side of the car, and rattled off some pure garbage, that he wasn't sure, but maybe I had not pulled over to the outside lane when I passed the emergency vehicle. He said he wasn't sure, but he just wanted us to know the law. I was from Texas, and that law if well known. That scared me, that I could be accused of something I didn't do. Of course, as events passed on, I learned he knew very well I had done nothing wrong.

We went on then. So, my heroic patriotic friend, what was it I did to deserve being treated like that? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. I was in compliance with all laws; all lights were working. I was wide awake and driving correctly. He hoped to steal my car.

As far as trying to illegally enter my car, what reason would there be to enter my car illegally if he just wanted to tell me to pull over when there is an emergency vehicle? Same as above. No reason at all. He hoped to be able to 'drop' something in my car, then steal it. The desk clerk in Hattiesburg told me there had been many complaints from others in that stretch of highway at night.

I have communicated with people all over the country and many report the same false stops. In fact, about two hours before the Miss. bandits stopped me, my son, who had the same destination, was stopped on a false, illegal stop in Arkansas. That bandit's excuse was, he swerved. His wife was awake and he did not swerve all. This was not the first time he experienced an illegal stop.

These criminals in blue simply make something up and pull people over, in hopes of stealing a car or cash.

Google for Tenaha, Texas. There they didn't use waivers. They told people, we will confiscate your children if you do not sign over your BMW or Caddy plus whatever cash they had, or whatever it was.

Read Yucalandia's statistics again.

It is people like you who enable these criminals. With no evidence at all, you defame those innocent people who have had that bad experience. And, cause others to assume ALL IS WELL, and I am just upset because I got nailed for my various crimes and traffic offenses. Note in nearly a million miles I have never had a moving violation, and I did not commit one when they stopped me, either.

It isn't well. I am far more afraid of cops in the US than in Mexico, and yes, I once had a shake-down attempt in La Paz in the Valley of Mexico, so I know it happens. But, in Mexico, they want maybe hundreds of dollars, not your car.

playaboy

Apr 26, 2016, 7:58 AM

Post #15 of 18 (23699 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
PLEASE! What a crock of you know what! Just because you are ex-pats whole believe you are alll so special - slamming the police, TSA and Customes/Border Patrol is beyond belief! I happen to be a proud Independent American Citizen who has not only driven millions of miles in the US but also enjoyed crossing the border into Mexico numerous times over the last 15+ years. I have absolutely nothing negative to say and would submit that those who have problems may have brought it on themselves?

Everyone should watch this John Oliver show on Civil Forfeiture.

Here is another link to different clouds server with this episode.

http://www.primewire.ag/.../season-1-episode-20

(This post was edited by playaboy on Apr 26, 2016, 9:58 AM)

RickS

Apr 26, 2016, 9:35 AM

Post #16 of 18 (23685 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
When I tried to open this, it requested that I update my Flash Player. My Norton Security said it was 'unsafe' and removed the download. YMMV

rvgringo

Apr 26, 2016, 9:40 AM

Post #17 of 18 (23682 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Purchasing a car in MX ... driving it back and forth to the U.S.

| Private Reply
I also tried, and got a similar result with a sudden slowdown. I immediately force-quit and shut down the computer. After re-start all seems normal.
Please remove that link, as it does seem to be some kind of malware trying to invade your system.

playaboy

Apr 26, 2016, 10:01 AM

Post #18 of 18 (23672 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Here is a YouTube link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kEpZWGgJks

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4