Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

jwallacq

Apr 18, 2016, 9:46 AM

Post #1 of 5 (10053 views)

Shortcut

Best way to ship heavy low-value stuff from Merida to USA ?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am getting ready to move back to the USA and I just discovered (surprise, surprise!) that all the stuff that I have accumulated here in the past two years does not even begin to fit in the car any more.

What would be the most economical way to ship about 10 boxes of relatively low-value stuff (books, clothes, children's toys, board-games, etc.) back to (preferably) the interior of the USA or (second choice) to a border city like Piedras Negras?

I am probably talking about maybe 10 boxes, each about 12 x 12 x 24 inches, and each one weighing about 20 kilos (40 pounds).

My understanding is this is used to be possible to send boxes to the border by ADO, but -- as near as I can tell -- they don't offer that service any more. And of course, FedEx, etc. are prohibitively expensive. I do not need any kind of priority "overnight" service, but on the other hand, I don't particularly want to be without the stuff for months & months either; some shipping method that takes a few weeks to arrive at the interior of the USA would be fine.

Another alternative would be some kind of shipping method that would get the stuff to a border city in the same amount of time that I need to drive to the border (3 to 5 days).

Any suggestions?? Thanks in Advance!

playaboy

Apr 18, 2016, 10:29 AM

Post #2 of 5 (10043 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jwallacq] Best way to ship heavy low-value stuff from Merida to USA ?

Estafeta

soylent_green

Apr 18, 2016, 11:59 AM

Post #3 of 5 (10031 views)

Shortcut

for moving "less than truckload" freight, you might try Transportes Potosinos.

I use them for business, but assume for moving a small amount of personal items they might be an option.

I know they have a decent facility in Nuevo Laredo - assume you would pick up your boxes there and cross them yourself.

Per their website http://www.potosinos.com.mx/
they do have a facility in Merida.
I would suggest go to there, talk to them, and see what they can do and at what cost.

contact info listed as:
PERIFERICO SUR KM 46.7, TABLAJE CATASTRAL 18967
LIBERTAD
Tel. (999) 946 4892 /93

For your partial shipment, make sure you get a good idea of transit time. Its better for your freight to wait for you than for you to be sitting days in Nuevo Laredo.

Good luck and let us know how it goes

(This post was edited by soylent_green on Apr 18, 2016, 12:07 PM)

jwallacq

Apr 19, 2016, 5:32 AM

Post #4 of 5 (9971 views)

Shortcut

Re: [soylent_green] Best way to ship heavy low-value stuff from Merida to USA ?

Thanks for the suggestion.

I did talk to their Merida office, and they sound like they would indeed be much cheaper than FedEx, DHL, etc. They quoted me about 3100 pesos for 120 kilos (i.e., 6 boxes at 20 kilos each), which comes out to about 75 cents per pound. I think she said that included up to 3 days of free storage in Nuevo Laredo (i.e., on the Mexican side) and then there would be a 10% surcharge after the 3rd day, for days 4 through 11. The only slight downside was that there is no insurance coverage unless it is brand-new merchandise with a receipt.

On the other hand, when we look at the total costs of transporting the stuff -- e.g., the necessity of renting a u-haul trailer on the American side, plus the cost of spending at least one unnecessary night in Laredo, plus the hassle of driving back & forth across the border -- we are starting to think that it might make more sense to just donate a bunch of stuff to charity in Merida, and then hit the garage sale circuit after we get home. I had assumed that a U-haul trailer would be around $100, but in fact, their smallest one is closer to $200. ... We are still debating.

Thanks again!

JamesNobles

Nov 10, 2016, 11:18 PM

Post #5 of 5 (7885 views)

Shortcut

How did you deal with the problem? Did you hired any packers or movers company?

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4