Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

tipoli90

Apr 17, 2016, 12:05 PM

Post #1 of 2 (7058 views)

Shortcut

Anyone living in Mexico working off an online business?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello,

I was wondering if there is anyone currently reading this forum living in Mexico and living off of an online business. I have read countless of stories of people doing this on a tourist visa, except that they were working for an employer from an abroad and performing the work online and apparently it was fine and no taxes were needed to be paid in Mexico.

What about anyone actually having their own online business and getting clients from other countries, paid through Paypal with the money deposited in their home country's bank account?

Anyone know if taxes would need to be paid in Mexico and if it would be fine to do this on a tourist visa or residente temporal?

Thank you.

roberth

Apr 17, 2016, 12:56 PM

Post #2 of 2 (7050 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tipoli90] Anyone living in Mexico working off an online business?

Can't Post | Private Reply
The reason you would choose not to just come in on a 6 month tourist VISA is because you didn't want to need to make a boarder run every 6 months to get a new one, with the additional possibility that you were too concerned about the combination of the advent of computerized maintenance of immigration records in Mexico, stories about officials cracking down on this process, and the the Mexican truism that the law is interpreted differently depending upon the day/location/official.

A concern over those issues would push you to do a little more work, and go to a little more expense, up front, so as to save yourself from these real and potential hassles down the road.

That being said, a lot of people seem to come down here planning to live for as long as possible on tourist VISAs. Personally, I got my RT in preparation for coming down, but just because that's what made the most sense to me.

As far as taxes go, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Certainly not if you go the tourist VISA route. Even getting an RT, though, while you will be required to, in exacting and specific detail, explain, to the satisfaction of the specific INM official you deal with, that "you work online, have no interactions with Mexicans during the operation of your work, and you will be supporting yourself in Mexico with the money you make from this business," the issue of taxation will be left completely up to you. In that regard, you won't exist for the Mexican government. I just pay my self-employment taxes to the US government, and call it a day.

Good luck! Mexico is a fantastic place to live for people in our situation.

(This post was edited by roberth on Apr 17, 2016, 12:57 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4