Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

rlysens

Apr 17, 2016, 8:02 AM

Post #1 of 19 (8745 views)

Shortcut

TIP, US car registration and US car insurance

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi all,

I've been in Mexico with my car on a TIP for three months now. A while ago I canceled my US car insurance because 1. I'm not in the US and 2. I have Mexican car insurance.
However, yesterday I received a notice from DMV saying that they will suspend my car's registration because they do not have a record of insurance coverage. I didn't see that one coming.
So my question is, is it OK to let this suspension happen, and I just set up registration (and insurance) again when I'm getting ready to cross the border (in July)? Or do I need to maintain US car registration and insurance at all times?

Thanks for your help,
Ruben.

chinagringo

Apr 17, 2016, 8:41 AM

Post #2 of 19 (8739 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rlysens] TIP, US car registration and US car insurance

Ruben:

Since car registrations and insurance requirements are set by the individual States, there is no one simple answer to your questions.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

rvgringo

Apr 17, 2016, 9:19 AM

Post #3 of 19 (8734 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] TIP, US car registration and US car insurance

Jalisco, for example, requires that your vehicle be legal to drive in your home jurisdiction in order for it to be legal to be driven in the state of Jalisco. Your federal Importada Temporal (TIP) from Aduana (Customs) simply makes it legal for the car to be present in Mexico. It does not confer the authority for it to be driven, as that authority comes under state laws. It is also quite possible that driving a vehicle which is in Mexico illegally, or not in compliance with a Mexican state‘s traffic laws for use on public roads, may invalidate your insurance.

rlysens

Apr 17, 2016, 9:37 AM

Post #4 of 19 (8729 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] TIP, US car registration and US car insurance

I see. We're in Nayarit, but we frequently make excursions to Jalisco for grocery shopping etc. So it looks like I'll have to maintain US registration and hence US car insurance in addition to my Mexican car insurance.

/Ruben.

chicois8

Apr 17, 2016, 9:49 AM

Post #5 of 19 (8725 views)

Shortcut

When I applied for my Mexican insurance they asked if I had US insurance and policy number, same thing happened to me 3 years ago except I did not know until I returned home, found the mail from DMV and realized I had driven from Arizona to my home in California without registration and had to pay to have it reinstated.
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

Azuledos

Apr 17, 2016, 12:00 PM

Post #6 of 19 (8709 views)

Shortcut

Allstate suggested we maintain our US vehicle policy in "suspended status" for a premium of about US$1 per month. Only requires an email to turn on full coverage when we have to drive NoB. Perhaps this would provide you with a policy number to keep your state registration active. Probably other insurers can do this for you too, if you don't use Allstate.

================================
Veracruz has to be the best kept secret in Mexico.
http://etepetzin.blogspot.com -&- http://azuledos.blogspot.com

rlysens

Apr 17, 2016, 4:59 PM

Post #7 of 19 (8684 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Azuledos] TIP, US car registration and US car insurance

That sounds interesting. I'll give this a shot, and if my insurer doesn't want to play, I'll try Allstate ;-)
Thanks!
Ruben.

chinagringo

Apr 17, 2016, 6:03 PM

Post #8 of 19 (8681 views)

Shortcut

Ruben:

It still boils down to the particular requirements of the DMV in the US State where your car was registered. They are the ones who set the parameters for the insurance companies.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

donemry

Apr 18, 2016, 6:37 AM

Post #9 of 19 (8642 views)

Shortcut

There is always the South Dakota option.

http://www.mexconnect.com/...search_engine#175763

bigriver

Apr 18, 2016, 8:53 PM

Post #10 of 19 (8578 views)

Shortcut

"suspended status" is a viable option; I utilized such option with St. Farm for a temporary period of time and the cost was minimal. Might want to consider just reducing coverage down to minimum required level until return.

I would definitely confirm in advance that an uninsured vehicle with an expired registration (current emissions cert???) can be legally reinstated online??? or otherwise without vehicle/owner present. I would obtain solid info from the state MVD you will be returning to before any action is taken.

rlysens

Apr 19, 2016, 4:08 PM

Post #11 of 19 (8522 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] TIP, US car registration and US car insurance

Right. My car's registered in California. In the meantime I've learned that my current insurer, Farmers, doesn't have a "suspended status" option. I don't know yet if that's a Farmer's limitation or a California limitation.

/Ruben.

chinagringo

Apr 19, 2016, 6:53 PM

Post #12 of 19 (8513 views)

Shortcut

Since we have zero experience with the State of California, I have no idea what their requirements are. People we know who had lived in or currently live there seem to indicate that at best the State DMV is hard to deal with?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

playaboy

Apr 19, 2016, 8:22 PM

Post #13 of 19 (8501 views)

Shortcut

You need to "non-op" the car with the CA dmv to avoid the insurance requirement and bi-annual smog testing. If you have personalized plates you still have to pay to keep them.

Or get rid of the CA reg and go with SD.

YucaLandia

Apr 19, 2016, 8:28 PM

Post #14 of 19 (8500 views)

Shortcut

California used to have some of the most challenging requirements in the nation.

For the previous 15 years they required continuous registration. Californians in Mexico, who allowed the CA registration to lapse, were required to pay for all intervening years, when they went to re-start the registration (+ fines/penalties?).

There's also the potential hassles of meeting CA (or CO or FLA) vehicle State emissions testing requirements while the vehicle is in Mexico.

We (Colorado), our California, and our Florida friends had to give up on registering & passing emissions requirements... and shift to either Texas or to South Dakota (Clay County being our favorite office to deal with).

That's the driver behind why many California insurers don't offer 'suspended' or 'vacation' status... and it's why South Dakota started their program for people who travel a lot.

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Apr 19, 2016, 8:29 PM)

stanbnv

Apr 25, 2016, 8:48 AM

Post #15 of 19 (8356 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] TIP, US car registration and US car insurance

I don't know about other states, but if you are licensed in Nevada, If you suspend your insurance, the state will demand that you turn your license plate in.

rvgringo

Apr 25, 2016, 9:38 AM

Post #16 of 19 (8345 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stanbnv] TIP, US car registration and US car insurance

That is why the SD option is so popular. You may register and get title by phone & mail, and buy your insurance in Mexico. If you drive to the USA, you can get a short-term policy, if one is not included with your Mexican policy, for your visit to the USA. It is quite simple, as long as you have a USA mailing address and a social security number.

YucaLandia

Apr 25, 2016, 10:51 AM

Post #17 of 19 (8338 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stanbnv] TIP, US car registration and US car insurance

Colorado & Florida have similar requirements.

California goes so far as to charge the CA residents to repay all 'back' unpaid years of un-registration.

Other states??

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

AlanMexicali

Apr 25, 2016, 12:04 PM

Post #18 of 19 (8327 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] TIP, US car registration and US car insurance

In Reply To
Colorado & Florida have similar requirements.

California goes so far as to charge the CA residents to repay all 'back' unpaid years of un-registration.

Other states??

Happy Trails,
steve

DMV in California has a formula when the registration is in arrears and it is not all the years of backpayment for non payment of vehicle registration, penalties and fees. It is quite fair. I don´t know how long this has been in effect.

"How Vehicle Registration Annual Renewal Penalties are Calculated:

Percentage of Vehicle License Fee + Registration Late Fee + CHP Late Fee = Total Due

More than 2 years 160% of the vehicle license fee due for that year

160% of the weight fee due for that year, if any.

Registration Late Fee $100.00

CHP Late Fee $100.00" [CHP = California Highway Patrol]

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/vr/vr_info

YucaLandia

Apr 25, 2016, 2:26 PM

Post #19 of 19 (8309 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] TIP, US car registration and US car insurance

You are such a gem...

THANKS!
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff