Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

jwallacq

Apr 15, 2016, 12:08 PM

Post #1 of 9 (5108 views)

Shortcut

Safest route from Veracruz to the USA ?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Does anybody have opinions as to whether is is safe to go straight up the coast to Matamoros, or whether it is better to go over to Puebla and then up to Laredo or Eagle Pass?

The coast route is much shorter, but I keep hearing stories about violent crime in Tamulipas.

Are there any cities or towns that one especially wants to avoid being in after dark? Is Matamoros a better or worse choice than Reynosa? How about going through Soto la Marina versus Cd. Victoria; is one route preferable to the other? The last time I made this trip (around 20 years ago), I spent my last night in San Fernando and then left San Fernando about 4:30 AM to arrive at the border at about 6:00 AM; is that still a sensible plan?

Thanks in Advance!

cbviajero

Apr 15, 2016, 2:46 PM

Post #2 of 9 (5098 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jwallacq] Safest route from Veracruz to the USA ?

San Fernando Tamaulipas is where they found 72 kidnapped and murdered immigrants a few years ago,maybe things have calmed down a bit,personally I would avoid it.

(This post was edited by cbviajero on Apr 15, 2016, 2:58 PM)

playaboy

Apr 15, 2016, 3:42 PM

Post #3 of 9 (5090 views)

Shortcut

I stopped driving this route around 7 years ago. Too much bad stuff happening.

You might read this.

https://www.yahoo.com/...53542671.html?ref=gs

jwallacq

Apr 15, 2016, 7:23 PM

Post #4 of 9 (5072 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Safest route from Veracruz to the USA ?

Thanks for the Link. What you guys are telling me pretty much confirms my suspicions.

One of my Mexican in-laws has been trying to convince my wife that we should go back by way of Matamoros, but I think that when I show her that link, it should end the discussion.

My inclination is to go from Veracruz to just West of Puebla, then take that new "Arco Norte" around to San Juan del Rio, and then just stick with highway 57 all the way to the border -- although I would probably prefer to cross at Piedras Negras to avoid the heavy traffic and congestion near Laredo.

RickS

Apr 16, 2016, 9:21 AM

Post #5 of 9 (5049 views)

Shortcut

If your final destination makes Piedras Negras a viable crossing, by all means go that route. I do all the time. On the northern outskirts of Saltillo (which one doesn't actually go through) just continue on 57 on a very good, straight free road to Monclova and on to Piedras/Eagle Pass. Immigrations there, out around Allende, is a breeze as is crossing the border into Eagle Pass.

jwallacq

Apr 16, 2016, 11:04 AM

Post #6 of 9 (5042 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Safest route from Veracruz to the USA ?

So where do you turn in your car papers? At Allende or in Piedras Negras?

The last time I drove through there southbound (about a year & a half ago), I came in at Ciudad Acunya and they did all of the paperwork (Tourist visa, car permit, customs inspection) right there at the bridge.

I assumed that I would get checked again at Allende, but there didn't seem to be any customs or immigration facilities at all in Allende. I was looking for them, but I didn't see any sign of them -- in either direction.

RickS

Apr 16, 2016, 5:33 PM

Post #7 of 9 (5022 views)

Shortcut

Yes, Right as you get off the cuota heading north just outside of Allende is the Customs place. You can' miss it. There is a little hut in the parking lot for the TIP cancellation; go inside to turn in your Tourist Card. VERY easy and quick. Then just head to the border for a pretty easy exit.

NorthAmericanTraveler

Apr 20, 2016, 1:13 PM

Post #8 of 9 (4970 views)

Shortcut

Re: Safest route from Veracruz to the USA

How did it go, or have you left Veracruz yet?

RFVegas

May 11, 2016, 7:01 AM

Post #9 of 9 (4817 views)

Shortcut

I completed the opposite route last month from Matamoris to Yucitan. No problems at all. Obtaining TIP (or returning in your case) was simple right at the Veterans Bridge crossing. Of course traveling in daylight only is recommended due to road conditions, animals, etc. We traveled 180 and 180D (toll road) whenever possible. A great La Quinta in Poza Rica. Outside town, near 180D. Many stores nearby. Modern, clean, reasonable price.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4