Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

lucyloo

Apr 14, 2016, 1:12 PM

Post #1 of 5 (5586 views)

Shortcut

Residente Permanent - leaving permanently

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have a Residente Permanente card but am going to be leaving Mexico permanently, what do I do with the card? If I leave via a Mexican airport I assume I just hand it in at immigration but I am thinking of leaving by land to the US and the only administration area on the Mexican side is the toll booth where you pay to cross the bridge. Can I just hand it in there? Knowing Mexican bureaucracy and efficiency well I am very reluctant to hand it in there as it will most probably get lost forever in a pile of papers and put in the trash. Do I need to do any paperwork or anything if I am leaving permanently?
Thanks

rvgringo

Apr 14, 2016, 4:14 PM

Post #2 of 5 (5572 views)

Shortcut

Re: [lucyloo] Residente Permanent - leaving permanently

If you are leaving permanently, why bother to do anything? You went to the trouble and expense to earn it, so keep it just in case you change your mind. You are just on an extended vacation, aren‘t you? Your RP card and INAPAM card could still be useful someday. However, if you did return with a USA plated car, you would simply fill out an FMM as a tourist and that would automatically cancel your RP visa. Your suspicion that it might be tossed in the trash, or even sold, makes keeping it in your pocket adviseable. Of course, you could also turn it in at any Mexican consulate, anywhere, anytime.

RuralPuebla

Apr 29, 2016, 4:10 PM

Post #3 of 5 (5370 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Residente Permanent - leaving permanently

I agree. Unless you can show a negative issue related to having a PR card, keep that sucker forever.

If you can think of negative issues, can you share with us. I simply can't think of anything negative caused by a PR when you don't plan to come back. I admit I don't know everything, so please enlighten us.

Well, I can think of one such issue. Something very bad happened to you which has caused you to have a very negative view of Mexico and do not want to be connected to it any more. Sort of like being a political dissident expat, I guess.

As the poster above suggested, you might change your view some day when circumstances change again. Cheap at the price to hang on to it.

Aaron+

May 10, 2016, 9:57 AM

Post #4 of 5 (5235 views)

Shortcut

Re: [lucyloo] Residente Permanent - leaving permanently

Is there a Mexican immigrant office where or near to where you are living? Turn it in there. Do not count on the bureaucracy to be inefficient and paper-bound. Check out the computerization of immigration records at INM.

If you one day want to come back to Mexico with your current US passport, you might find yourself held up at the border crossing or airport INM office. If you ever change you mind and want to return to living in Mexico, INM may question your seriousness. No big deal, but why not just do the right thing -- tell INM AND get a pass to leave Mexico.

YucaLandia

May 11, 2016, 6:31 AM

Post #5 of 5 (5182 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Residente Permanent - leaving permanently

2 different sets of good friends found this to be true in the past 1½ years.

They got held-up at the border for over 2 hours, were sent to the back of the line, and were severely scolded (threatened with ~ no visa ~ no entry) if they did it again.

YMMV,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on May 11, 2016, 6:32 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4