First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sbeech

Sep 22, 2015, 10:07 AM

Post #1 of 45 (15237 views)

Shortcut

Living here on a tourist visa

Can't Post | Private Reply
My first post on here.

I first traveled to Mexico in April of 2013 to buy a Mexican Corporation that I spotted on the internet, that owned 10 acres of land, a 16 bed motel, garages, pump room, pools etc............it took almost 1 year to sort out the paperwork, no problem, extended holiday with two "vacations" to Guatemala to re-new my tourist visa.

Maybe I got lazy, or maybe I just loved the laid-back lifestyle and cheap living, CFE is 100 pesos month, water 72 pesos, phone with internet 399 pesos, gas is 1 bottle every 6 months.......my biggest cost is a few large Indios per day and my land taxes of 6,000 pesos per year.

Anyway, I closed the motel (it was losing money having 4 Mexicans on the books and a new ring road had halved the passing trade), raised the outer block walls to 8 feet, put in huge steel gates and wire fences at the back, bought some sheep and goats, sat back with the Indio and.............did nothing......at 58 years of age I love it.

Three more "vacations" later, Cuba, Costa Rica........and returned yesterday from my 3rd Guatemala run, Monterrico.......I get stopped at Mexico Airport and told I cannot keep living here on tourist visas.
Apparently they are "cracking down"? Normally I get away with my limited Spanish plus all my ownership documents, receipts for money spent on the Motel, all utilities in my name and up-to-date......but not yesterday.....I got a right lecture.....no more....my last time!!

So I have a few questions
Did I just catch the Immigration Officer on a bad day? Can they actually refuse me entry, I am a genuine tourist, I love it here, I have a small pension plus house rental from the UK that I transfer over each month.......as far as I can see, I am doing nothing wrong?
Is it easier to get some kind of temporary visa here? My Mexican Corporation has a paper value of 7.7 million and the local tax office here have it listed at 9 million pesos .......and my UK pension is £350 month....not a lot but it pays all my bills here.

Thanks in advance.

rvgringo

Sep 22, 2015, 10:26 AM

Post #2 of 45 (15225 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sbeech] Living here on a tourist visa

Application for a Residente Temporal, or Permanente, visa must be done at a Mexican consulate or embassy in your home country or legal place of residence outside of Mexico. The monthly income requirements will exceed your pension, but if you have enough savings proven by bank statements, you might qualify that way. I don‘t know if your Mexican corporation value will help or not. A visit to a consulate is in order; perhaps in the USA, Guatemala, etc.

YucaLandia

Sep 22, 2015, 10:36 AM

Post #3 of 45 (15224 views)

Shortcut

Re "are they cracking down":
Yes, at some of the Texas - US-Mexico border crossings, and at the Belize-Mexico border crossings, INM agents have been exercising their authority to decide that some foreign visitors are actually acting like part-time residents of Mexico - no longer automatically issuing 180 day visas - and pushing these part-time residents of Mexico to get formal part-time residency visas: Residente Temporal visas.

As RV advises, unless you are married to a Mexican or have Mexican family members, then you have to leave Mexico and apply for Residency (Temporary or Permanent) in a Mexican Consulate.

Details at: ~ Current Rules and Procedures for Immigration, Visiting, and Staying in Mexico

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

sbeech

Sep 22, 2015, 11:07 AM

Post #4 of 45 (15220 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Living here on a tourist visa

I think I am stuck between a rock and a hard place!

I don't have enough savings to qualify, all my cash is tied up in this place......a round trip to England would effectively wipe out the last of my bank account.....and my pension doesn't even cover the minimum monthly requirements anyway......so it is pointless even going to the UK to try.

I have been dating a female Mexican doctor for over a year now.......and we have been tentatively discussing marriage, but I would hate to think we only got married to facilitate an application for a visa.....plus maybe the authorities would see it as a deliberate attempt to circumnavigate having to return to the UK?

My only choice seems to be to try the tourist visa again in 6 months, and if I get refused, have a fire-sale agreed on this place in readiness......strangely enough my neighbour (who is actually resident in Texas) offered me a "cash" price a few months back......maybe I shouldn't have laughed at the price he offered?

My girlfriend says to just stay here anyway, and don't even risk trying the border run......she says Mexico is full of illegals so why would they go looking for a gringo who isn't causing any problems?

Thanks for the replies.

richmx2

Sep 24, 2015, 11:11 AM

Post #5 of 45 (15073 views)

Shortcut

Does the business still exist (on paper anyway)? If so, you can hire yourself, and be admitted as an employee of a Mexican company. You might check to see if as a property owner (and goat-herder) you don't have a legitimate rationale for a permanent residency permit.

In answer to one question... an immigration officer in any country can refuse entry to "legitimate tourists" at their discretion.

http://mexfiles.net
http://mexicobookpublishers.com

sbeech

Sep 24, 2015, 3:40 PM

Post #6 of 45 (15040 views)

Shortcut

Re: [richmx2] Living here on a tourist visa

The business still exists............so theoretically I can hire myself, therefore giving me a job in Mexico and so I qualify for a visa?

YucaLandia

Sep 25, 2015, 6:11 AM

Post #7 of 45 (14974 views)

Shortcut

Correct.

Note that if you go to a Mexican Consulate in Laredo, Phoenix, etc to apply for a Mexican Residency visa, they are now requiring that applicants apply for an appointment (online) - no more just showing up at the Consulate. Laredo says it is taking them about 3 days to issue appointments.

If you have an I-95 for the USA, or any valid residency visa for the USA, you do not need to return to Gr. Britain to apply for Mexican residency - you can use a Consulate in Mexico ... or even Belize.

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

DavidHF

Sep 29, 2015, 3:56 PM

Post #8 of 45 (14745 views)

Shortcut

If it was me I'd exit Mexico over some border other than Guatemala and then reenter on an FMM.

That should work unless they are actually tracking FMMs via computer.

YucaLandia

Oct 1, 2015, 5:55 PM

Post #9 of 45 (14610 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] Living here on a tourist visa

Yes, you guessed correctly about computer tracking of over-used tourist visas.

INM agents have been checking and denying some people repeated - sequential - 180 day FMM tourist stays. It's not clear about how they are identified and selected for being denied fresh touristt visas.

The people who relate having this problem on their runs-to-the-border, find it pretty painful - causing them lots of personal difficulties - especially those whose home countries are far-off (like the UK).

So, yes, INM has been using their national (fast) computer database checks to require some previous serial-tourist-visa-users to file for formal Mexican residency using either the Residente Temporal or Permanente visas.

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

playaboy

Oct 2, 2015, 6:31 AM

Post #10 of 45 (14560 views)

Shortcut

Changes are coming

I travel across the border a lot. In the last year I have made over a dozen trips, land and air. Like the USA, Mexico is tightening up control of their borders.

INM procedures have changed over the last 3 years. Everything gets scanned into a computer; passport, FMM's, and residente cards. You complete history is a mouse click away. Passport stamps will not be as important as the computer records.

In TJ, the government is implementing new procedures for entering Mexico. No more just walking across. When entering Mexico you must show passport and obtain an FMM. Once they get the procedures down, you can expect the rest of the land crossing across Mexico to check everyone entering MX.

To the OP, I would go to the closest border crossing and try, try again for the FMM tourist. If one official says no wait for the shift change and try again. Get yourself another 180 days to give you time to plan a strategy to get a residente card.

sbeech

Apr 12, 2016, 4:56 AM

Post #11 of 45 (10787 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] Living here on a tourist visa

In Reply To
If it was me I'd exit Mexico over some border other than Guatemala and then reenter on an FMM.

That should work unless they are actually tracking FMMs via computer.

Thanks for all the great advice....here is an update on my experience.

Flew down to Cancun at 3pm, 1000 pesos with Volaris.....ignored the "tourist buses" asking 166 pesos for a ride into Cancun/Playa Del Carmen....started walking.....after 2 or 3 kms, flagged down a local bus.....35 pesos to Del Carmen!!.....evening meal on the beach then 11pm bus to Chetumal...arrived 4am?..taxi drivers wanted 200 pesos to the border.....again I started walking.....after 2 kms again flagged down a taxi....40 pesos!!.......not sure if we ended up at the right crossing (it looked nothing like the one on YouTube) but after 10 minutes chatting with 3 border guards they suggested I take a brief walk "out of Mexico" then return!!...they asked for the "exit tax", I politely declined, showing them my Interjet receipt with "taxes" via Guatemala....I agreed to give them a small "tip" for being helpful though..10 minutes later I was back in the same taxi who kindly agreed to wait for no additional charge....back to the bus station, no charge so I gave him 10 peso tip.....5am bus to Bacalar.....at 8am I was drinking a 6 pack on the lagoon front under the fort guns.

I spent a few days hopping on buses along the coast, Bacalar, Mahahual, Tulum, Merida (which I thought looked filthy and pretty scary!! at night), Mexico City.......then home..........Happy days

YucaLandia

Apr 12, 2016, 5:57 AM

Post #12 of 45 (10776 views)

Shortcut

A few insights on how things work:

~ FMMs used as visitante visas are tracked by a nationwide INM computer network.

~ Some areas of Merida look shabby-dirty ...
but Merida is so much more safe than ANY other city of 1 million in all of Canada and in all of the USA, it can be important to see beyond a dirty neighborhood.

In typical years, Merida has 2 or so murders, and in bad years we have 10 - 12 murders.

Our 13 - 15 year old daughters are safe walking around the city at 2:00 AM.

Canada averages 15 murders a year for cities of 1 million.

The USA averages 45 murders a year for cities of 1 million.

Appearances can be very deceiving.
;)

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

sbeech

Apr 12, 2016, 6:25 AM

Post #13 of 45 (10768 views)

Shortcut

I don't have an issue with FMMs being tracked?......my post was in reply, and thanking people, on how to obtain a new one without too much hassle.....the "different border" advice worked well......thank you.

I was not "having a pop" at Merida.....merely making an observation.
After a week in Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Chetumal, Bacalar, Mahahual and Tulum (my first visit to the Yucatan)....Merida came as a bit of a shock.
The bus station appears to be located in the "red light area" where 50 peso per night motels abound. Street-walkers, sleazy bars and people hanging around on street corners.
I witnessed at least one person being ejected onto the street in front of me, and with 20 odd police vehicles inside the first mile I walked towards the city centre, the whole place resembled a war-zone.
Having traveled the world extensively from Kowloon to Capetown, plus several cities in Mexico....Merida made me pretty nervous, that's all......maybe old age is catching up with me?
Sorry to cause offence.

ps World murder rates taken from Wiki
I am English, so we start with them.....
UK 10 per million
Canada 14
USA 38
Mexico 189 (only those reported, and we know that thousands, maybe 10s of thousands, go unreported)

So statistically-speaking I am 20 times more likely to be murdered here, than in England, excuse me for feeling slightly nervous walking through the red-light area at midnight!!

(This post was edited by sbeech on Apr 12, 2016, 6:50 AM)

sbeech

Apr 12, 2016, 8:55 AM

Post #14 of 45 (10746 views)

Shortcut

Yucalandia states:

"In typical years, Merida has 2 or so murders, and in bad years we have 10 - 12 murders.

Our 13 - 15 year old daughters are safe walking around the city at 2:00 AM. "

I thought this statement sounded a bit odd....I live in a small town of 70,000 and there were 4 killings here last year that I know of, 2 beheadings and 2 shot to the head......there is an unofficial "curfew" of 10pm (issued through the local press) at which point you are considered "fair game"......my girlfriend is a local doctor and said many killings go unreported because they don't want to frighten tourists.....even the local mayor here was executed along with his bodyguard (seems a waste of time having one!) within hours of him winning the election!

She has an armed bodyguard if she needs to visit outlying clinics, her sister lives in a house in Mexico with armed security on the perimeter fence, her other sister lives behind electric security gates with cameras and alarms and they have an armed chauffeur when they go out....also in DF!!

On a "day out" visiting friends on their buffalo ranch, we were stopped by police just north of DF who obviously noted the number-plate and wanted to check the "carry permits" for the pistols.

The person whose ranch we visited also had his bodyguard killed in a kidnapping attempt plus he took two bullets to the body and is semi-paralysed......all his staff were held "ransom" until he paid over the money. When I told him that I thought things were "not too bad" in Mexico now, he just laughed and shook his head, showed me his personal armory and invited me to an afternoon of shooting practise......my personal gift as I left, was my own taser......his advise was "keep it fully charged, use first and ask questions later"

I have now been burgled 4 times in 3 years here, despite raising 400 metres of 8 feet block walls plus barbed wire and 10 feet security gates.....once they actually smashed the house windows whilst I was inside...they ran off when I turned on the lights

Anyway, I digress, I checked the official Mexico Government stats for Merida......and lo and behold....your "bad years" seem to be turning into a nightmare....27 murders in the last 12 months, 14 of those in the last 4 months, 6 just in Feb!!....ouch....19 murders in 2014, 21 in 2015

I suggest you keep the teenage girls under curfew for a while, though having 8 children myself, I can honestly state that none of my girls were allowed to roam the city centre at 2am in the UK let alone Mexico......did you mean 2pm?

Quite frankly, I find it highly irresponsible to advise people on an English-speaking website, that there are "no problems"...."even your teenage kids are safe to wander around at night".....it isn't, you know it...and so does everyone else that has lived here for a few years.

cbviajero

Apr 12, 2016, 10:45 AM

Post #15 of 45 (10725 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
A few insights on how things work:

Our 13 - 15 year old daughters are safe walking around the city at 2:00 AM.

;

Happy Trails,
steve

Really, you let your teen age daughters walk around the city at 2AM??
Ten lo por seguro que pronto vas hacer abuelo...

Sbeech,I've lived in Mexico's second largest city for ten years and have never been burglarized,you must have really bad luck to have been burglarized 4 times in 3 three years..
Oh,and we don't have 8 foot walls topped with barbed wire...

(This post was edited by cbviajero on Apr 12, 2016, 1:29 PM)

La Isla

Apr 12, 2016, 1:20 PM

Post #16 of 45 (10696 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Living here on a tourist visa

And I've lived in Mexico City for over nine years and never been burglarized on robbed anywhere, though I wouldn't be out on the streets alone much after 10 pm. My only protection from the bad guys is the fact that the front door to my building closes soundly (and loudly!) on its own.

sbeech

Apr 12, 2016, 4:16 PM

Post #17 of 45 (10668 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Living here on a tourist visa

I live on the main central highway between Texas and Mexico DF, outside the local city limits.......10 acres, huge buildings.

I think my burglars are just passing homeless people, maybe Central Americans making their way north to the "promised land"...the USA.......plus local robbers who see me as an easy target.

I raised the walls, installed barbed-wire and security lights....but they keep coming.
I walk to the shop every day (deliberately dressed like a peasant in ripped jeans and ratty shoes) and they are sat on my walls, they rummage through the bins and collect plastic off the roadside.

My point to Yucalandia is NOT to tell people they are safe to let a 13-year old daughter wander a city of 1,000,000 people at 2am......that is just pure craziness.

All of my Mexican friends have some form of security and an awareness that Mexico is a seriously dangerous place.....the government are doing their best to keep a lid on it, fair play to them.....but I also do not venture out after dark......simple.

The local police are great.....they have sent out patrols several times, just to ask if I am ok....on my last burglary they were here most of the afternoon, cannot fault them.

ps Merida still looked like a post-apocalyptic hell-hole from a Mad Max film.....sorry.

La Isla

Apr 12, 2016, 4:29 PM

Post #18 of 45 (10665 views)

Shortcut

It sounds like you live in a really scary area. I guess I'll stick to my home in the Gran Manzana Mexicana, where I can certainly venture out after dark without fear of being jumped by dangerous characters. It's become trite to say it, but I will anyway, to each his or her own. :)

sbeech

Apr 12, 2016, 4:37 PM

Post #19 of 45 (10663 views)

Shortcut

Just to block the driveway, armor-plated steel....I needed 4 of these at 5,000 pesos each......plus 20,000 to install the brickwork and foundations plus the floodlights, then another 100,000 on the perimeter walls......and I am still only 25% there.....now they just come around the back!!

cbviajero

Apr 12, 2016, 5:08 PM

Post #20 of 45 (10653 views)

Shortcut

Hmm,a foreigner staying in Mexico on a tourist visa and spending 140,000 pesos on a perimeter wall and still gets burglarized 4 times in 3 years,how strange is that?

sbeech

Apr 12, 2016, 5:33 PM

Post #21 of 45 (10645 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Living here on a tourist visa

In Reply To
Hmm,a foreigner staying in Mexico on a tourist visa and spending 140,000 pesos on a perimeter wall and still gets burglarized 4 times in 3 years,how strange is that?.......Do you think they saw me coming? Maybe I have a sign on my head saying "rape me please....I'm a gringo"

sbeech

Apr 12, 2016, 5:40 PM

Post #22 of 45 (10641 views)

Shortcut

Fair point.....maybe I should forget finishing the walls and let them walk straight in?

It would save me a shit-load of dinero!

YucaLandia

Apr 12, 2016, 5:54 PM

Post #23 of 45 (10636 views)

Shortcut

"My point to Yucalandia is NOT to tell people they are safe to let a 13-year old daughter wander a city of 1,000,000 people at 2am......

that is just pure craziness. "

Fortunately, we are all entitled to personal opinions.

Some opinions are formed by outsiders who have never gotten to know an area, who personally chose to instead live in a truly dangerous area, or opinions quickly formed by people who have traveled primarily in up-scale tourist areas that are very similar to Las Vegas.

Other people's opinions are rooted in visiting an area for 35 years ... followed by living there full-time for 10 years ... being married into a talented local family with 200 year-old deep roots throughout the area ... working in that same area for 9 years ... and jumping through all the hoops to become a Mexican citizen there.

Clearly, tourists who drop into one small peculiar neighborhood of a city of 1 million people for a night will likely develop a different opinion than foreigners who live there for decades.

One (1) to two (2) murders a year in the recent past say that Merida is not the imagined

" a post-apocalyptic hell-hole from a Mad Max film "...

Clearly, Merida is NOT for sbeech ... as he chose to live in a place that is regularly burgled ... opened a business that completely failed ... and is forced to live behind massive steel walls of his own construction.

and who imagines & opines of "Mad Max" mass-murders and loads of imagined gore.
Reality: Merida and Meridadanos are surprisingly culturally very like the middle America of the 1950's - 1960's ... embracing and living traditional values.

Further, the Maya people of Yucatan & Merida are widely known as some of the most gentle & kind people on the planet.

... making Merida safe at levels that modern current gringo-Americans and gringo-Brits sometimes cannot recognize ... nor even imagine.

... where Merida is so safe that our daughters, nieces, and granddaughters are completely safe in public areas at 2:00 AM- and even 4:00 AM to 5:00 - as proven by when our wedding fiestas that end with 4:00 AM cocinata pibil feasts ... where the older crowd (me, the missus, y mi suegra) go home at 2:00 - leaving the kids to party ... and find their own ways home.

and no, we don't sit-up waiting for them.
;)

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Apr 12, 2016, 6:15 PM)

sbeech

Apr 12, 2016, 7:22 PM

Post #24 of 45 (10618 views)

Shortcut

Wow....just when you thought it was safe to go to bed....the Grand Poobah rears his head.

Where does it state "I opened a business that failed?".....do you sit around making stuff up, or is it voices in your head?

I bought a Mexican Corporation that was currently trading, since 1959....then closed it IMMEDIATELY ON THE DAY I SIGNED THE PAPERS, because the income wasn't worth the hassle....paid the four staff 40,000 and change, and said "hasta la vista"

Then I built the walls to keep out the burglers....it's called SECURITY.........meanwhile, you hawk your daughters around the streets until 2am.....oh no, it's now 4am or 5am.......are you sick?.....then publicly state on a forum...."I don't even bother waiting up for them"...one of them is 13?......do you know there are several places in the world where you could locked up for that?

Then you continually spout the "one or two murders" bullshit, when anyone with a computer can find 26 in the last 12 months.....I WILL SAY IT SLOWLY FOR YOU.....26.....6 IN THE LAST MONTH ALONE.....have you been hired by the Tourist board to continue this drivel?

The article I read said "Merida is fighting to stem a continual rise in violence...by flooding the streets with police and military"

I was there, for 4 hours.....I honestly thought it was a film set from Mad Max....oops, there I go again with my Mad Max comparisons.

It is strange how you originally came onto my "thanks to the forum" message to spout your insane ramblings.....but you cannot back up your figures on the murders......would you like me to post the Government website on city murders?.....no need to prove your 13 and 15 year-old girls wander the streets.....I believe you!

ps your website...."Surviving the Yucatan"......I thought it wasn't too dangerous?.....do you get a badge of honour for "surviving" or is it just some "rite of passage" before we graduate to the "Real Mexico"

sbeech

Apr 12, 2016, 8:11 PM

Post #25 of 45 (10610 views)

Shortcut

Copy and paste from the Yucatan Times......notice the comments "murder rates on the rise"...."only a fraction of crimes get reported"...."14 per 100,000" ie 140 per million (USA 50 per million), so Merida is doing pretty well on 26...mmmmm

The murder rate in Mexico jumped nearly 9 percent last year, the first increase in four years, as President Enrique Peña Nieto struggles to make good on his election pledge to end the country’s drug violence, Reuters reports.
But other crimes like kidnapping and extortion have fallen, according to government data released late on Wednesday, perhaps pointing to a shift toward more brutal tactics by some of the country’s dozens of drug cartels.
Prosecutors from Mexico’s 31 states and Mexico City reported 17,013 murders last year, the fifth-highest figure in nearly two decades, Interior Ministry statistics showed. There were 15,653 murders reported in 2014.
The rate equates to about 14 murders per 100,000 people, higher than the U.S. rate of about five per 100,000 people, but below that of Mexico’s Central American neighbors.

Many experts have said only a fraction of all crime in Mexico is reported. Drug cartels and other gangs are known to routinely buy off police to turn a blind eye to their operations, leading to widespread impunity and lack of trust.
The central state of Mexico, which encircles much of Mexico City, had the highest murder rate last year. In second place was Guerrero, a southwestern state where 43 trainee teachers were abducted last year and believed by government officials to have been massacred by a drug cartel in league with local police.
The number of kidnappings nationwide fell 24.5 percent from 2014, the lowest level since 2008, while extortion dropped 12.6 percent.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4