Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Joe Mc

Apr 10, 2016, 4:43 PM

Post #1 of 11 (6244 views)

Shortcut

October 2016 motorcycle trip

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello everyone I would like your experiences on roads I plan to travel in October. I plan to enter at Presidio and take MEX 16 to Chihuahua City (with a side trip to Peguis Canyon) where I will overnight. From there Creel, via MEX 16 to La Junta and south, will be my next overnight stop. After Creel and the Copper Canyon area I plan to head south on road 23 to Parral for an overnight stay. From Parral I will take road 45 to C. Jiminez then 45D to Camargo to gas up for the 170 mile jaunt to Presidio on road 18 which I sometimes see referred to as road 67??? Can someone clarify what the signage will display as a route number 18 or 67???

Any information i.e hotels, restaurants etc. you can pass along will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

chinagringo

Apr 10, 2016, 4:54 PM

Post #2 of 11 (6242 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Joe Mc] October 2016 motorcycle trip

Joe:

Just our opinion after years of driving through much of that countryside - we decided that driving that area was no longer of interest to us and we certainly weren't doing it on a motorcycle! There is probably a chance that you are much younger and willing to take more chances but I think there is a reason I just turned 69 and would like to spend many more years enjoying Mexico. Then again, I made a decision while in college that I was an accident looking for a place to happen when riding a motorcycle. Meanwhile, we continue to drive Central and Southern Mexico racking up thousands of wonderful and educational miles!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

RickS

Apr 10, 2016, 7:39 PM

Post #3 of 11 (6233 views)

Shortcut

I could have sworn I saw this same Post some time back because I responded with some suggestions. How strange!

Anyway.... with respect to the road back up to Presidio; different maps show it differently but I believe it is signed as 67. You won't have any trouble finding it as it is the only road going out 'east' and to Ojinaga and may start off saying 69.

BTW, from Jiminez one does not have to drive up to Camargo to get on the road to Presidio (Ojinaga) as there is a road out of Jiminez that leads to that road, and it may be signed initially as 69 also. And also if needing to stay overnight around Jiminez I recommend the newer Hotel Jiminez Plaza on the south side of town.

(This post was edited by RickS on Apr 10, 2016, 8:49 PM)

Joe Mc

Apr 11, 2016, 7:19 AM

Post #4 of 11 (6208 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] October 2016 motorcycle trip

In Reply To
Joe:

Just our opinion after years of driving through much of that countryside - we decided that driving that area was no longer of interest to us and we certainly weren't doing it on a motorcycle! There is probably a chance that you are much younger and willing to take more chances but I think there is a reason I just turned 69 and would like to spend many more years enjoying Mexico. Then again, I made a decision while in college that I was an accident looking for a place to happen when riding a motorcycle. Meanwhile, we continue to drive Central and Southern Mexico racking up thousands of wonderful and educational miles!

In Reply To

Neil, thanks for your input. Could you clarify why you no longer drive that area? Is there danger or is it you have "been there and done that" so it is no longer of interest?
I am 72 and as far as I am concerned there is no better way to see the sights than from a motorcycle. It's a matter of personal preference.Hopefully this will be the beginning of exploring Mexico as you are doing.

(This post was edited by Joe Mc on Apr 11, 2016, 7:32 AM)

Joe Mc

Apr 11, 2016, 7:24 AM

Post #5 of 11 (6206 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] October 2016 motorcycle trip

In Reply To
I could have sworn I saw this same Post some time back because I responded with some suggestions. How strange!

Anyway.... with respect to the road back up to Presidio; different maps show it differently but I believe it is signed as 67. You won't have any trouble finding it as it is the only road going out 'east' and to Ojinaga and may start off saying 69.

BTW, from Jiminez one does not have to drive up to Camargo to get on the road to Presidio (Ojinaga) as there is a road out of Jiminez that leads to that road, and it may be signed initially as 69 also. And also if needing to stay overnight around Jiminez I recommend the newer Hotel Jiminez Plaza on the south side of town.

In Reply To

Yes Rick you did see a similar post before and you responded with some helpful info. Thank you. I have altered the original route so as to make my riding partner more 'comfortable' with traveling in Mexico. Thanks for the additional info.

(This post was edited by Joe Mc on Apr 11, 2016, 7:27 AM)

chinagringo

Apr 11, 2016, 7:27 AM

Post #6 of 11 (6202 views)

Shortcut

While it took a great deal of work digging up the local news from towns along our route from New Mexico to Guadalajara, I found way too many negative incidents related to cartel activities to be comfortable. To my way of thinking, there are just too many "hot beds" of criminal activity and constantly watching my rear view mirror or wondering what was over the next rise wasn't worth it to us. YMMV!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Joe Mc

Apr 11, 2016, 7:42 AM

Post #7 of 11 (6199 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
While it took a great deal of work digging up the local news from towns along our route from New Mexico to Guadalajara, I found way too many negative incidents related to cartel activities to be comfortable. To my way of thinking, there are just too many "hot beds" of criminal activity and constantly watching my rear view mirror or wondering what was over the next rise wasn't worth it to us. YMMV!

In Reply To

If you don't mind,what specific areas on my route did you find that could be considered "hot beds" of criminal activity?

chinagringo

Apr 11, 2016, 10:48 AM

Post #8 of 11 (6183 views)

Shortcut

From your list of destinations: Chihuahua, Camargo and Jimenez are on Hwy 45 (our old route down from NM) and from earlier research, I would have classified them as hot beds. When researching new from that geographic area, Creel and Parral often showed up as having numerous problems.

Since we all have different risk assessments and tolerance levels, it would certainly be understandable if yours is different from ours. The State of Michoacan is often mentioned as one of the most problematic but we have always been safe traveling there because we watch the situation and stay away from the hot spots. I have only traveled areas of Michoacan once as a single occupant of a car and to be candid, it made me uncomfortable. Once ran across a pickup truck traveling in the opposite direction with 5 or 6 autmatic toting guys in civilian clothing - cartel or militia members???? Didn't take a second look and continued on my way and it took me quite a few miles before I was able to settle down.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Joe Mc

Apr 11, 2016, 4:51 PM

Post #9 of 11 (6171 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
From your list of destinations: Chihuahua, Camargo and Jimenez are on Hwy 45 (our old route down from NM) and from earlier research, I would have classified them as hot beds. When researching new from that geographic area, Creel and Parral often showed up as having numerous problems.

Since we all have different risk assessments and tolerance levels, it would certainly be understandable if yours is different from ours. The State of Michoacan is often mentioned as one of the most problematic but we have always been safe traveling there because we watch the situation and stay away from the hot spots. I have only traveled areas of Michoacan once as a single occupant of a car and to be candid, it made me uncomfortable. Once ran across a pickup truck traveling in the opposite direction with 5 or 6 autmatic toting guys in civilian clothing - cartel or militia members???? Didn't take a second look and continued on my way and it took me quite a few miles before I was able to settle down.

In Reply To

Again thank you for your insight. I intend to be vigilant and avoid 'situations' that would put me in jeopardy. My former job took me to some of the roughest neighborhoods in the northeast so I consider myself somewhat 'street smart'. I shall certainly seek updated conditions of the areas I intend to travel.
Thanks again Neil.

NorthAmericanTraveler

Apr 13, 2016, 6:43 PM

Post #10 of 11 (6119 views)

Shortcut

I made the drive in my Neon to the Peguis Canyon in late February of this year when I visited the Big Bend. I bought a day of Mexican auto insurance at La Junta in Presidio for $18. I believe their hours are 9-5 Mon - Fri. The guy that runs the place is very nice. I will buy insurance from him again in the future.

Ojinaga is an excellent place to cross the border at (short waits, pretty safe, etc). The INM / Banjercito is located at the border crossing. The Peguis Canyon is a definite must see. It is right off of MX 16.

I also drove south of Ojinaga to Manuel Benavides on CHIH 67 (and CHIH 200). CHIH 67 is also signed as CHIH 67. If you have any more questions about the area feel free to ask me.

FYI the "River Road" (TX FM 170) from Presidio to Terlingua is a must drive, especially on a motorcycle.

(This post was edited by NorthAmericanTraveler on Apr 13, 2016, 6:48 PM)

Joe Mc

Apr 13, 2016, 7:14 PM

Post #11 of 11 (6110 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NorthAmericanTraveler] October 2016 motorcycle trip

Thanks NAT I appreciate the info and offer of more help. I'll be taking you up on that. I plan on taking the roads you have mentioned. 67/18 I plan on taking from C.Jiminez to Ojinaga on the return trip from the Copper Canyon area.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4