Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

allkhaki

Apr 8, 2016, 10:17 PM

Post #1 of 11 (11312 views)

Shortcut

Pemex stations

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hey everyone, I have been browsing through Mexconnect for a couple years now but this is my first time to post. In a month or so I will be making the drive from Texas to Guatemala, where my family and I currently live. I have done this drive a couple times in the past but never really felt certain about what would be an appropriate amount to tip the attendant at the Pemex station, if any.

Here in Guatemala it is not normal to tip the attendant even for washing your window and filling your tires with air. I usually give a little bit just because I know it certainly won't hurt them or me.

So let me know your thoughts about tipping the attendant at the stations. Thanks

chicois8

Apr 9, 2016, 1:26 AM

Post #2 of 11 (11305 views)

Shortcut

Re: [allkhaki] Pemex stations

I only tip if the front windows are cleaned,maybe 5 or 10 pesos.......
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

chinagringo

Apr 9, 2016, 7:27 AM

Post #3 of 11 (11290 views)

Shortcut

Cleaning windows has always been $10MXN but since the Peso has gone down, I have been known to tip $15MXN or even $20 if I feel they have done an exceptional job and I am without coins. When driving through agricultural areas, the buildup of bugs can become a real mess and I am very thankful for the service!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

(This post was edited by chinagringo on Apr 9, 2016, 9:09 AM)

cbviajero

Apr 9, 2016, 7:43 AM

Post #4 of 11 (11287 views)

Shortcut

Mexicans in my experiece usually tip a couple of pesos,if that.

skier14

Apr 9, 2016, 1:19 PM

Post #5 of 11 (11268 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Pemex stations

If they do front and back I usually give 5 pesos. If I give more my wife hollers.

chinagringo

Apr 9, 2016, 1:31 PM

Post #6 of 11 (11267 views)

Shortcut

Re: [skier14] Pemex stations

Having worked for an hourly wage in previous lives, tips were the only thing that made the wage halfway tolerable. 28 cents US would have been an insult even when earning $2USD/hour. And I will be damned if I were to let someone else dictate what amount I chose to tip!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

roberth

Apr 9, 2016, 2:59 PM

Post #7 of 11 (11262 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Pemex stations

Ya, I view it as a 10 peso tip. If the guy doesn't wash my windshield sometimes I'll give just 5, but really, who cares? 10 pesos makes a big difference to them, and almost no difference to me.

playaboy

Apr 9, 2016, 4:43 PM

Post #8 of 11 (11255 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Pemex stations

In Reply To
Cleaning windows has always been $10MXN but since the Peso has gone down,

For people living and working in Mexico the exchange rate is meaningless. They don't think in USD's. Everything purchased is priced in pesos.

If you like the service and can afford a $1.50 tip (15-20 pesos) by all mean pay it. It could make a big difference on how that attendant (and their family) eats that day.

chinagringo

Apr 9, 2016, 5:12 PM

Post #9 of 11 (11253 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Pemex stations

Pretty well accepted fact that people from the service sector who relied on tips tend to have more generous tipping habits later in life! Just me but I don't much give a darn what others do or say should be done, when tipping. I will tip at the level I feel comfortable with while using my own formula for evaluation.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Aaron+

Apr 9, 2016, 6:27 PM

Post #10 of 11 (11251 views)

Shortcut

I tip at 5 pesos if nothing more is involved than window rinsing. Any additional service, or particularly difficult (very dirty windows), then more. Your decision.

Let me digress a minute. Please do fill up prior to entering Guatemala, although I believe gasoline (when available there) is less expensive there. If crossing from Tapachula, there is a Pemex station right before the border crossing. Maybe someone else can advise what the gasoline availability situation is in Guatemala now.

Also be aware of recent US State Dept warnings about criminal activity in Guatemala departments bordering Mexico.

allkhaki

Apr 9, 2016, 9:23 PM

Post #11 of 11 (11235 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Pemex stations

Thanks everyone for the input. I do seem to recall that 10-15 pesos is generally what I tipped the last time I traveled through Mexico.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4