Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

teddybear1935

Oct 21, 2015, 9:19 AM

Post #1 of 17 (12812 views)

Shortcut

DRIVING OUT OF MEXICO INTO THE USA WITH FM2

Can't Post | Private Reply
I AM A CITIZEN OF THE USA AND I HOPE TO DRIVE FROM MEXICO CITY TO MCALLEN/SAN ANTONIO IN THE NEAR FUTURE. I HAVE A PERMANENT FM2. WHAT IS THE PROCEDURE TO DO THAT WHICH IS REQUIRED BY THE IMMIGRATION AUTHORITIES. IN FLYING OUT AT THE MEXICO CITY AIRPORT ONE CAN PICK UP THE DOCUMENTS THERE, LET IMMIGRATION DO ITS WORK, TAKE THE UPPER PART OF THE DOCUMENT TO USE IN RETURNING TO MEXICO. IS THERE SOMETHING SIMILAR TO DO WHEN EXITING BY LAND AND IF SO WHERE IS THE OFFICE WHEN CROSSING AT REYNOSA INTO MCALLEN. I WILL PROBABLY TRY TO USE THE PHARR BRIDGE IS POSSIBLE. THANKS FOR ANY HELP HERE. AN AN 80 YEAR OLD THESE THINGS SOME TIME GET CONFUSING FOR ME.

rvgringo

Oct 21, 2015, 10:59 AM

Post #2 of 17 (12794 views)

Shortcut

Re: [teddybear1935] DRIVING OUT OF MEXICO INTO THE USA WITH FM2

The procedure is the same by land or air. Stop at the INM office or booth. You may have to look for it, and it may be in the southbound lane only. The FM2 is obsolete. You are probably a Residente Permanente visa holder.

teddybear1935

Oct 22, 2015, 6:43 AM

Post #3 of 17 (12723 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] DRIVING OUT OF MEXICO INTO THE USA WITH FM2

I GOT THE FM2 ABOUT 18 YEARS OR SO AGO IN BOOKLET FORM. I CHANGED IT TO THE PLASTIC CARD FORM A FEW YEARS LATER. I HAVE NOT DONE ANYTHING SINCE. IT WAS A PERMANENT TYPE RESIDENCE PERMIT. HOWEVER IT IS NOT MARKED PERMANENT RESIDENCE. I HAVE EXAMINED OTHER PEOPLE'S CARDS OF THE SAME TYPE WHICH ARE NEWER ISSUES AND THEIRS ARE ON THE BACK MARKED PERMANENT RESIDENCE.
SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT I SHOULD DO? MANY OF MY OLD FRIENDS HAVE THE SAME PLASTIC CARD AS I DO AND THEY SAY THEY HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS RECENTLY LEAVING MEXICO AND RETURNING USING THEIR "OLD" PLASTIC CARDS WHICH DO NOT SAY PERMANENT RESIDENCE EITHER.

THANKS

playaboy

Oct 22, 2015, 7:37 AM

Post #4 of 17 (12706 views)

Shortcut

what does your card say?

joaquinx

Oct 22, 2015, 9:56 AM

Post #5 of 17 (12690 views)

Shortcut

DRIVING OUT OF MEXICO INTO THE USA WITH FM2

It sounds like the old Inmigrado form that now is the Residente Permanente. The FM2/FM3 is now the Residente Temporal.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

teddybear1935

Oct 22, 2015, 10:41 AM

Post #6 of 17 (12682 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] DRIVING OUT OF MEXICO INTO THE USA WITH FM2

MY CARD ON A SOLID RED LINE AT THE TOP OF THE FRONT SIDE JUST SAYS INMIGRADO * FOLLOWED BY A FOLIO NUMBER.
AT THE BOTTOM THERE IS A RED FM2 WRITTEN ALONG THE SIDE/BOTTOM OF MY PICTURE. MY SIGNATURE IS ON THE FRONT SIDE OF THE CARD.

I ASSUME THIS CAN BE EXCHANGED FOR A NEW CARD WITH THE WORDS PERMANENT RESIDENCE, BUT HOW?

THANKS ED

teddybear1935

Oct 22, 2015, 10:53 AM

Post #7 of 17 (12678 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] DRIVING OUT OF MEXICO INTO THE USA WITH FM2

MY CARD WHICH I HAVE HAD FOR ALMOST IF NOT 20 YEARS WAS ONE GIVEN TO ME WHEN I ASKED FOR THE PLASTIC CARD INSTEAD OF THE PAPER BOOKLET. I DID THIS WITH AN IMMIGRATION ATTORNEY IN THE DF.
MY CARD IN THE TOP PORTION HAS A RED LINE AND ON THAT LINE IS WRITTEN "INMIGRADO * "FOLLOWED BY A FOLIO NUMBER. ON THE RIGHT BOTTOM LINE IN RED IS FM2 NEAR THE PHOTO AND JUST BENEATH MY SIGNATURE. THE BACK SIDE HAS NO PICTURE, NO SIGNATURE, AND ONLY A BUNCH OF THINGS I DO NOT UNDERSTAND.

SO THIS SHOULD NOW BE PERMANENT RESIDENCE. HOW DO YOU THINK I COULD GET THIS CHANGED. AS I AM 80 YEASRS OLD I CANNOT DO MUCH WITH THE IMMIGRATION OFFICE MYSELF.

THANKS ED

YucaLandia

Oct 23, 2015, 6:03 AM

Post #8 of 17 (12637 views)

Shortcut

Hi Ed,
Your "Inmigrado" - Permanent Resident - card is still good to enter and exit Mexico.

You do not have an "FM2" . FM2's were for temporary residents.

Your "Inmigrado" visa is now called a "Residente Permanente" by INM law.

Under the new system since 2013, Inmigrados / Residente Permanente visa holders are supposed to stop at the INM office where they are exiting Mexico; fill out an FMM form describing your exit data and your personal data - filling out both the exiting half and the re-entering half with your personal data. INM keeps the "exiting Mexico" half of the FMM form, and gives you the "entering Mexico" half of the form to use on your return to Mexico.

So, you stop at INM both on entering and exiting Mexico to register your movements. Since you didn't fill out an FMM the last time you left Mexico, just fill out an FMM when you return.

Happy travels,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Oct 23, 2015, 6:08 AM)

teddybear1935

Oct 23, 2015, 6:19 AM

Post #9 of 17 (12628 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] DRIVING OUT OF MEXICO INTO THE USA WITH FM2

THANKS STEVE: THE LAST FEW TIMES I LEFT AND RETURNED WE COULD FIND NO ONE AROUND THE CROSSING AREA INTERESTED IN OUR LEAVING, THEREFORE, I DID NOT HAVE FORM TO RETURN TO THEM WHEN I RETURNED TO MEXICO. JUST DROVE ACROSS AND NEVER WAS STOPPED AT ALL. I FELT LIKE I SHOULD REPORT WHEN LEAVING AND RETURNING AS I DO WHEN LEAVING AT THE AIRPORT BUT THAT IS HARD TO DO WHEN NO ONE IS INTERESTED. THIS SEEMS TO BE THE PROCEDURE WHEN USING REYNOSA AREA POINTS OF ENTRY INTO THE USA.
SHOULD I TRY TO GET A NEW CARD WHICH STATES PERMANENT RESIDENCE AND IF SO HOW WOULD I DO THAT?
THANKS ED

richmx2

Oct 23, 2015, 5:06 PM

Post #10 of 17 (12583 views)

Shortcut

Then it's not a Pemanent anything. Check the expiration date.

http://mexfiles.net
http://mexicobookpublishers.com

teddybear1935

Oct 23, 2015, 9:26 PM

Post #11 of 17 (12562 views)

Shortcut

Re: [richmx2] DRIVING OUT OF MEXICO INTO THE USA WITH FM2

THERE IS NO EXPIRATION DATE ON THE CARD, THUS I AM ASSUMING IT IS PERMANENT AS I WAS TOLD WHEN IT WAS GIVEN TO ME AFTER 5 YEARS OF THE OLD FM2 BOOKLET.

YucaLandia

Oct 24, 2015, 6:05 AM

Post #12 of 17 (12548 views)

Shortcut

Re: [richmx2] DRIVING OUT OF MEXICO INTO THE USA WITH FM2

In Reply To
Then it's not a Pemanent anything. Check the expiration date.

Do the old Inmigrado cards (permanent resident) have expiration dates?
-
Read-on MacDuff

rvgringo

Oct 24, 2015, 8:29 AM

Post #13 of 17 (12532 views)

Shortcut

Inmigrado cards have no expiration date, but INM prefers that you get a new Residente Permanente card. No charge.

proworder

Dec 13, 2015, 1:44 PM

Post #14 of 17 (11832 views)

Shortcut

Re YucaLandia's clear answer on this, a minor additional Q. When handing in the FMM half slip, does Mexican Immigration still put an Exit stamp in passport? (Which is now required by many countries to qualify for an Entrance stamp.)

YucaLandia

Dec 14, 2015, 7:14 PM

Post #15 of 17 (11750 views)

Shortcut

Re: [proworder] DRIVING OUT OF MEXICO INTO THE USA WITH FM2

Yes, the last times we crossed - going out at Matamoros & N. Laredo - yes, we formally checked-out at INM, and they stamped them.

Internet reports from expats exiting at other small crossings report that the INM clerks are sometimes confused, not sure what to do - so it can depend on where you exit.

Foreigners who talk about crossing daily or frequently don't seem to go through the formal check-out process (?)

steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

proworder

Dec 14, 2015, 7:20 PM

Post #16 of 17 (11746 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for additional info on 2-part INM forms, Steve.

RuralPuebla

Apr 7, 2016, 11:23 AM

Post #17 of 17 (9268 views)

Shortcut

I realize this is an old posting. But, I wanted to comment on the Pharr Bridge comment. If you come from the East to Reynosa, Pharr is best. If you come from the West, the new Anzalduas bridge keeps you out of the main traffic in Reynosa.

Just as the highway exits right for Matamoros, (left is for Reynosa central) a very short, less then half a block later, without exiting for Matamoros, will be a very small exit to Anzalduas. It looks at first glance like a mistake, but it isn't.

It curves around to the right, and enters the highway going west back to Monterrey. Enter the left lane, which is not intuitive. You enter the left lane to exit right within a block for Anzalduas. Trust me on this.

Then it is a few miles to the Mexican side of the bridge. There is a big parking lot and easy in and easy out for northbound traffic. You will have to ask which small door is immigration. I find the employees to be very friendly and helpful. This is not usually a busy bridge except at quitting time in the maquiladoras.

Then, very close to the US side of the bridge is Old Military Highway which will keep you off Expressway 83. You can also hit 281 northbound from the Old Military Highway.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4