Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

ixobel

Mar 17, 2016, 2:27 PM

Post #1 of 8 (7723 views)

Shortcut

Checking out of Mexico city airport with temporary residency

Can't Post | Private Reply
In a few days I will be leaving from Mexico City airport (not my regular airport) with my newly acquired temporary residency. I want to make sure I do the steps right. Where in the airport do I have to go? I go before I check in for my flight? I've read conflicting info on which half of the FMM they keep when I depart and who exactly keeps it. On return (just a week later) I give them the other half when I arrive?

I just want to make sure I do this right as the last thing I need is to have to start the process over again.

Thanks.

Maesonna

Mar 17, 2016, 4:00 PM

Post #2 of 8 (7713 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ixobel] Checking out of Mexico city airport with temporary residency

There is a kiosk after you go through security. If in Terminal 1, it is in the newer part of the terminal just past the place where the new wing comes off the old wing. Itís near a Starbucks, but in the middle of the passageway, not along the sides where the shops are. If in Terminal 2, it is sort of to the right (of I remember correctly), when you have just come through security and the terminal is a long passageway at right angles to the way you are facing, i.e. leading off to your right and your left. The kiosk is not very elaborate, just a counter in the middle of the terminal hallway. If you have trouble finding it, ask. There is also an INM office at each terminal, but you donít go there, you go to the free-standing kiosk.

If you didnít get a form at the airline counter when you checked in, they can give you the form at the kiosk. I always forget which half of the form is for the outward trip and which half is for the return trip, so I have to ask every time! The person staffing the INM kiosk reminds me.

If I remember correctly, the outward bound half of the form is collected when you board the aircraft, just when you show your passport to the airline crew upon going through the gate. (And if Iím wrong about that, then itís collected at the kiosk when you fill it out. The person staffing the kiosk will set you straight about that.)

(This post was edited by Maesonna on Mar 17, 2016, 4:04 PM)

ixobel

Mar 19, 2016, 9:08 AM

Post #3 of 8 (7608 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] Checking out of Mexico city airport with temporary residency

Ok thanks for the info, but now I'm afraid I'm a bit more confused. I thought I needed to go to a kiosk BEFORE checking in for my flight. No? That is how it is done in the Leon airport, I believe. Do I get a stamp in my passport when leaving (never have before on tourist visa) and if so when does that happen.
Thanks again.

ifyoucanttakeajoke

Mar 19, 2016, 9:11 AM

Post #4 of 8 (7607 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Ok thanks for the info, but now I'm afraid I'm a bit more confused. I thought I needed to go to a kiosk BEFORE checking in for my flight. No? That is how it is done in the Leon airport, I believe. Do I get a stamp in my passport when leaving (never have before on tourist visa) and if so when does that happen.
Thanks again.

It may or not apply, but in the Guadalajara airport, you have to check in with the airline then go to the kiosk to get your papers. Your passport will be stamped when you enter your destination country, then stamped again in Mexico upon your return.

ixobel

Mar 19, 2016, 9:26 AM

Post #5 of 8 (7604 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ifyoucanttakeajoke] Checking out of Mexico city airport with temporary residency

ok thanks. It seems I was wrong about how it works in Leon too as I just asked a friend. Thanks. Flying from terminal 1 so I think i know where to look now. Do they keep the one half at the kiosk where i do the paperwork or when i board the flight?

ifyoucanttakeajoke

Mar 19, 2016, 9:42 AM

Post #6 of 8 (7599 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
ok thanks. It seems I was wrong about how it works in Leon too as I just asked a friend. Thanks. Flying from terminal 1 so I think i know where to look now. Do they keep the one half at the kiosk where i do the paperwork or when i board the flight?

When you board the flight. Remember you're not leaving the country until you get in the aircraft and you're not entering another country until you get there.

Maesonna

Mar 19, 2016, 10:35 AM

Post #7 of 8 (7593 views)

Shortcut

If you do get a stamp in your passport, it will be at the kiosk. I know you get one when you re-enter but I donít remember whether you get one upon exiting. Nevertheless you donít have to worry about it; the official at the kiosk will know what to do. You present them your passport, resident card, and FMM form. Like I mentioned above, I never remember which half to fill out, but I always ask the official and they tell me. If you have any other doubts about filling out the form, they can help you.

The kiosk is definitely after security, and at the Mexico City airport, it is located where I (vaguely) described in my post above. Are you leaving from Terminal 1 or 2 (it depends on your airline)?

(This post was edited by Maesonna on Mar 19, 2016, 10:38 AM)

ixobel

Mar 19, 2016, 5:23 PM

Post #8 of 8 (7552 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] Checking out of Mexico city airport with temporary residency

I leave from Terminal 1 so it sounds easy enough to find and I will give myself plenty of time. Thanks!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4