Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

robt65

Mar 4, 2016, 2:30 AM

Post #1 of 2 (4878 views)

Shortcut

Traveling on 40 W from Reynosa to Querétaro on 57 South

Can't Post | Private Reply
Traveling on 40 W from Reynosa to Querétaro on 57 South.

No problems leaving Reynosa. Crossed once again on the Anzalduas Bridge and headed along 40 west towards Monterrey on Cuota's. Again took the northern Cuota bypass to avoid Monterrey traffic. Very quiet and good roads until turnoff to Matehuala. Short stretch of really bad road even though they attempted to patch a few holes here and there. Did not see one Federal Police or military, except on the east bound side just before entering Reynosa. Overnighted at the Las Palmas Hotel in Matehuala. Plenty of secure trailer parking in rear of entry. Parked right I front of room. This hotel does have a fairly accessible room for wheelchair users including an entry ramp and turn around space in room and bathroom. Easy to reach beds, good AC and heater in room. A very congenial "bell Hop on a bicycle will lead the way to your room and assist with any baggage. Restaurant was so - so for breakfast and evening food. Service was excellent. Really do need a new chef with some imagination. Cost a little over $900 Pesos per night. There is an excellent restaurant right across the street called "La Noria" Good food, fair prices and is wheelchair accessible. I brought a full load in our new 20 enclosed car hauler with "Tie down" brackets and that included a baby grand piano, two washing machines, a dryer, a full size side by side fridge as well as a dishwasher, king bedroom set several mattresses and many boxes. Another safe road with no breakage even with the rough roads. those new air ride shocks really help a lot on the trailer.

In General the road surface for the most part very poor between Matehuala and the large travel plaza in San Luis de Potosi. From there to the regular Hwy 57 south is not too bad. Then from 57 south to the turnoff for the Quota to Mexico city is rough at best. Be especially careful at that turnoff onto the Cuota to Mexico from Hwy 57 at the San Miguel de Allende exit is full of holes and large ripples in the asphalt caused by heavy truck loads. Use much caution at this point as it is extremely rough. for the first several hundred yards on this entry to the Cuota it is the same and your vehicle will "skip" if you are going over about 20 miles per hour. Once you have past this point the Cuota is not too bad at all. On to Hwy 57 south again it is a little rough but many of the holes have been repaired with temporary patches. From there south to San Juan del Rio it is pretty good road.

I will return to McAllen in a week or so with another moving load.

I don't expect any problems travelling north again to Reynosa, from San Juan del Rio.

robt65

(This post was edited by robt65 on Mar 4, 2016, 6:42 AM)

RuralPuebla

Apr 10, 2016, 4:54 PM

Post #2 of 2 (4707 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Traveling on 40 W from Reynosa to Querétaro on 57 South

Can't Post | Private Reply
That is the route we take from McAllen, except we take Arco Norte to Puebla at the south end.

We stay at a cheap motel right across from the Wal-mart in Matehuala. Once on another board, a woman said that motel is a dump, but did not explain why. They have been fixing it up. But, we have lived in Mexico in rooms with fighting roosters so we don't need much for a motel. That motel does now have heating and cooling in the rooms which is nice. The hot water for showers is marginal unless you ask at the office. They do have Internet.

My wife is a Wal-mart addict and after hours in the car, relaxes by crossing the boulevard and wandering around the store, plus we get a bag of ice for our cooler.

I think in March it was 500 pesos for the night. One big plus is the Federal police stay there so the chances of being involved in petty robberies is very slim.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4