Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

MAXACAPAN

Mar 3, 2016, 2:01 PM

Post #1 of 5 (9537 views)

Shortcut

using cónyuge familiar to convert residente temporal to permanente

Can't Post | Private Reply
Does anyone have experience in this ? And how does it affect proof of solvency? Thanks

YucaLandia

Mar 8, 2016, 7:07 AM

Post #2 of 5 (9395 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MAXACAPAN] using cónyuge familiar to convert residente temporal to permanente

It works ... but individual INM offices have the discretion/latitude to set their own requirements.

Some require the Mexican spouse to submit a carta certifying that they will be fiscally responsible for the applicant.

Other INM offices still require that the applicant meet INM's personal fiscal solvency requirements. See this link for details:

~ Financial Independence (Savings or Income) Requirements for Temporary Residency / Residente Temporal Applicants

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

RuralPuebla

Apr 7, 2016, 11:54 AM

Post #3 of 5 (9050 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MAXACAPAN] using cónyuge familiar to convert residente temporal to permanente

Six years ago I applied for FM-3. After 4 years, instead of changing to permanent residence, I was forced to start over with Family Unity Temporary Resident. (Wife of 40 years is Mexican). Each of those 4 years, I had to show my financial statements.

Two more years as FUTR, and at no time did I have to show a bank statement. Not once. Last Friday finally I got my Permanent Residence, and is it ever a good feeling. I get to live in Mexico until I die with no more paperwork, unless I lose that sucker!

There was a problem this year on our marriage certificate In 2014, I called the state office in Puebla, and was told I MUST register it in the village where she was born 74 years ago. We did. Two years INM accepted the village 'certificate', no problem.

This year, suddenly it was no good any more. Now you cannot register it in the native village, you MUST register it at the state office. I 'cried' really well, telling how I had been sick for months. (SIBO). They finally agreed to run it to the state office if I would scan all US documents, including official translation and apostille. I did and sent it by e-mail attachment. I included her court-ordered name change order. Two weeks passed and I was notified to appear to get my card.

At no time did I see any new certificate nor did they mention it. I did see the old copy of the village certificate. My wife said she wanted a copy of the new marriage certificate. I told her, "SHHHh!!! Do not say a word until I get my card. I don't think they made a new certificate at all. When they realized the name change really bolluxed up the paperwork, I think someone at INM said, 'Give him his card and he won't be back. If they were married in 2014 and 2015 they are married now.' "

In the village the registrar made the insulting suggestion that we needed to marry again in Mexico to solve the paperwork issue. I told her that would be an insult to my wife and to me that after 40 years we are not married. And, also an insult to the nation of Mexico that their government cannot find a way to supply a marriage certificate to a citizen who was married in another nation in 1975.

YucaLandia

Apr 12, 2016, 6:16 AM

Post #4 of 5 (8965 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RuralPuebla] using cónyuge familiar to convert residente temporal to permanente

For anyone facing the issue of getting your marriage to a Mexican approved by INM, the official rules for the last 15 years have been that we must get the State's Registro Civil office to approve/register your marriage.

Individual local INM offices have the local discretion to temporarily waive the official requirement of a State Registro Civil approval, but as RuralPuebla found, that temporary local waiver does not always continue to work in future years, as new civil servants come in and enforce the law.

Best of luck with getting your State Registro Civil office's approval, as our Yucatan Registro Civil office sat on our application for 2 years ... and then after 10 years of a legal US marriage, our local office decided to reject our application (along with 4 other US couple's application).

After paying for 2 years of lawyer's unsuccessful efforts, I asked to manager of the Registro Civil office:
"Are we legally married in the eyes of Mexican law?"

She replied: "No, you are not legally married."

I asked: "Can we get married here, now?"

She agreed, that yes, she would marry us at the next available appointment, which was 4 days later.
=> Problem solved for less than $20 US bucks.

We had a simple 10 minute Registro Civil marriage - which totally satisfied INM ...

and celebrated with a nice little party with close friends.

???
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

RuralPuebla

Apr 22, 2016, 3:40 PM

Post #5 of 5 (8624 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] using cónyuge familiar to convert residente temporal to permanente

You chose to do that. I would not do so. As I told the village registrar to tell a Mexican citizen that she is not married after 40 years of legal marriage in another country is an insult to my wife; to me; and to the Mexican people that their government officials aren't smart enough to produce a system which treats married women as married women. That is the sort of unnecessary nonsense that sometimes makes Mexico a world laughing stock.

I would work with Federal legislators within our personal knowledge, and there is a chance they would agree that that is pretty stupid.

However, in my case, I got my permanent residence anyway. So, it is a moot point for me at this time.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4