Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

hunteradvisor

Feb 18, 2016, 7:25 AM

Post #1 of 15 (9201 views)

Shortcut

Applying for residente temporal lucrativa

Can't Post | Private Reply
My daughter came in on a tourist visa & tip for her car. She now wants to live here & has been offered a job. We fly to TX next week, she will leave her car here. She would like to apply for her residente temporal while in Austin. If approved, would she be able to extend the TIP?
Thanks!
Isabel
www.RanchoSolyMar.com

sparks

Feb 18, 2016, 7:58 AM

Post #2 of 15 (9195 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hunteradvisor] Applying for residente temporal lucrativa

The TIP expires when you turn in the Tourist Permit

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

playaboy

Feb 18, 2016, 8:51 AM

Post #3 of 15 (9189 views)

Shortcut

Nope

RickS

Feb 18, 2016, 10:07 AM

Post #4 of 15 (9179 views)

Shortcut

Ditto.

rvgringo

Feb 18, 2016, 3:19 PM

Post #5 of 15 (9157 views)

Shortcut

She should drive out, the bring the car back in with her new tourist permit and a new TIP tied to it. Otherwise, the car becomes illegal and it would not be wise to have an accident, etc.

hunteradvisor

Feb 18, 2016, 7:45 PM

Post #6 of 15 (9140 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Applying for residente temporal lucrativa

I think I may have read that someone did not turn in his tourist visa when he flew out. I believe there is a small fine to replace it, but then you would still have the old one to match the TIP right? She can't drive from PV to Austin alone by Thur, not an option and not safe.
Isabel
www.RanchoSolyMar.com

playaboy

Feb 19, 2016, 5:09 AM

Post #7 of 15 (9121 views)

Shortcut

I should have 2 visas, a resident visa allowing me to work and a tourist visa to allow me to drive my USA car. Why didn't I think of that?

rvgringo

Feb 19, 2016, 8:25 AM

Post #8 of 15 (9108 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Applying for residente temporal lucrativa

She can‘t have it her way, or Hunteradvisor‘s way. It must be done Mexico‘s way. She drove it in, so she can drive it out. No excuses; little old ladies do it every day.

sparks

Feb 19, 2016, 8:50 AM

Post #9 of 15 (9105 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I think I may have read that someone did not turn in his tourist visa when he flew out. .

The airlines will take the second half of the FMM ..... no exceptions

hunteradvisor

Feb 19, 2016, 6:46 PM

Post #10 of 15 (9080 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Applying for residente temporal lucrativa

Found what I was looking for on Dickmeister's post:

Feb 17, 2016, 8:43 PM

Post #4 of 5 (54 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Dickmeister] TIP Question: Left & Came Back by Plane With Car Still Here
Quote | Reply | Private Reply
My answer is also.... nope.

The 'agent' in the kiosk who will cancel your car permit will only want to see the Original paperwork the sticker was attached to. No more, so don't offer him/her more. When you turn in your tourist card at INM and get your Passport stamped, I have never had anyone at any border crossing inquire as to why my card says I flew in and am now driving out..... including just a few days ago at the Nogales crossing.

That does not mean that your wife didn't take a chance flying out/flying back in with the car still in Mexico... technically illegal and making the car thus illegal there, but.......
Isabel
www.RanchoSolyMar.com

chinagringo

Feb 19, 2016, 7:27 PM

Post #11 of 15 (9077 views)

Shortcut

Isabel:
As with many things in Mexico, you can often find someone who will provide your preferred answer! Now does that answer guarantee that you or your daughter will receive the same answer when you try it? About six years ago, I asked a question and one of the long time forum experts gave me the answer that I thought I wanted. Guess what? Many hundreds of USD's and about three hours of our time was spent resolving the problem!

From a personal standpoint: Mexico makes the rules and regulations and we certainly respect them and don't expect that they bend the same to fit our personal expectations!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

playaboy

Feb 20, 2016, 6:20 AM

Post #12 of 15 (9067 views)

Shortcut

Lots of people drive illegal cars in Mexico. Both Mexicans and gringos. There are millions of them on the road. They are called "chocolates" When drivers of "chocolates" get into an accident, they exit the car (if they can) and run away as fast as they can. That is part of life in Mexico.

Your daughters car will be a "chocolate". To continue driving her "chocolate" will enhance her experiences of life in Mexico, especially if she gets caught by the authorities.

If you decide to ever take the car out of Mexico, the process to cancel the TIP is as Rick posted.

sparks

Feb 20, 2016, 10:47 AM

Post #13 of 15 (9046 views)

Shortcut

Also, if she flies out on an FMM and comes back with a resident Visa ... she will loose her deposit and not be able to get a new TIP when the first one expires

rvgringo

Feb 20, 2016, 10:51 AM

Post #14 of 15 (9043 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
My daughter came in on a tourist visa & tip for her car. She now wants to live here & has been offered a job. We fly to TX next week, she will leave her car here. She would like to apply for her residente temporal while in Austin. If approved, would she be able to extend the TIP?
Thanks!

Absolutely not. The car becomes illegal and subject to permanent confiscation as soon as she leaves it behind in Mexico. In case of an accident, her insurance may be invalid and she is likely to go to jail.

RickS

Feb 20, 2016, 2:32 PM

Post #15 of 15 (9023 views)

Shortcut

Holly/Isabel/Hunteradvisor/daughter

I think that by now you have received enough info to make an informed decision. There is only one answer that is legal. All other options are not.

But at the end of the day who knows.... your daughter may get lucky or she may...... 1) loose her original deposit, 2) loose her visa status, 3) Loose her insurance, 4) loose her car to confiscation, and 5) maybe even loose her new job due to vehicle complications.

My info to Dickmeister is apples and oranges to your daughter's situation... he/she was leaving the country WITH the car. Your daughter is seemingly not. And you will notice that I said what his wife did was actually not
legal.... but in her case 'probably' not going to cause any problems. Probably.

I wish her luck because that is what I think she is going to need.....

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4