Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

t2sa

Feb 11, 2016, 6:32 PM

Post #1 of 5 (7900 views)

Shortcut

Working with a Spouse dependent visa

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello there,
I'm about to start an antique business in Mexico, being legally able live there. I currently have a spouse dependent visa thanks to my wife who has a working permit. Nevertheless, that doesn't allow me to work and even though the risks are low, I want to get legal asap. Does anyone knows how easy / difficult will it be for me to get a working permit?
Many thanks,
Tim

YucaLandia

Feb 12, 2016, 6:36 AM

Post #2 of 5 (7868 views)

Shortcut

Re: [t2sa] Working with a Spouse dependent visa

Hi Tim,
There is no such thing as a "working permit" as a separate document from your residency visa.

This means that you have to go in to INM an apply to change to a Residente Temporal visa con permiso de trabajo.

Our Merida-INM office required that I get an RFC from SAT/Hacienda, before applying for the change of RT visa type.

If you have an old RFC issued by your bank, that frequently is not legitimate, as SAT/Hacienda asks work-specific questions when setting up your tax account & RFC. SAT/Hacienda allows us to walk-in to make applications, but you might face a 4 hr to 6 hr wait (in-chairs). Making an appointment w/SAT (online) delays the process by a week or 2 (or up to a month if their appts. are already booked for the month), but it can cut your wait-times to under an hour.

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

t2sa

Feb 12, 2016, 9:40 AM

Post #3 of 5 (7845 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Working with a Spouse dependent visa

Thank you for the clear answer. Is it a kind of administrative formality or are there specific requirements in order to get that visa?

YucaLandia

Feb 12, 2016, 12:57 PM

Post #4 of 5 (7827 views)

Shortcut

Re: [t2sa] Working with a Spouse dependent visa

It's not always a formality.

They do seem to have some (internal?) criteria, but I've never seen the criteria listed anywhere, especially for people who are supporting themselves ... esp with their own new businesses.

As you already have a dependent's visa, it will likely be a formality if you give them the paperwork/documentation they request. ... For example, they may ask your spouse to certify in a letter that she will continue to be fiscally responsible for you.

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

t2sa

Feb 26, 2016, 2:43 PM

Post #5 of 5 (7630 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Working with a Spouse dependent visa

Hello there,
I followed Steve's pieces of advice and I'm glad to say it worked well!
Here is an updated description of the different steps.

* First you have to get your RFC from SAT/Hacienda. The good news is that you can do that online, either at home or from SAT's computers. I messed up somewhere in the process as I just succeeded to get a pre-registration, when you can get - for free and at home - the complete registration online. There's a trick there: in order not to have to update your RFC, you can state that you are already working and receiving income in Mexico when applying. The official I spoke with had had a great time when I explained here that I had an RFC stating that I wasn't working (it seemed logical for me as I don't see point confessing to the authorities that you are already working when you are applying for a work permit. The official agreed with me when I told her I probably did the process "too well"). That's not a great issue though, you can update your RFC is needed.

* In the migration webpage, look for the following form: "Permiso a extranjeros residentes temporales y temporales estudiantes para trabajar en México".
http://www.gob.mx/tramites/ficha/permiso-a-extranjeros-residentes-temporales-y-temporales-estudiantes-para-trabajar-en-mexico/INM795

Fill it and sign it. At the time I'm writing, there was a bug in the webpage as the possibility to have the form filled automatically with your RFC number wasn't working well with Chrome and Firefox. It ended up working after trying several time with Explorer.

* You also have to write a short description of your future business / job. You have to start the description the following way: Yo [your surname and name], identificado/a con [your RFC number], manifiesto por escrito y bajo gravedad de juramento que... There you describe the business / work you plan to have. It's not a business plan, though, a 5 lines description in largely enough. Don't forget to add the address of your business if you have one, if not put the address of your home.

*Then you have to pay the fees in any bank ($Mex 2700 at the time I'm writing this). The trick is to get the form without having to queue during an hour or so: it shall be possible to get it online too but I failed to do so. I also called the call center but they couldn't help (I wasn't that sure at that time what to ask then to try again, ask for the formato bancario). If you don't find it online, explain that you just need that document when you are in the migration office, they might give it to you right away if you're lucky and nice enough. You can then take a waiting number and still have plenty of time to go the bank, do a photocopy, take a coffee, and go back queuing...

* Don't forget to make a photocopy of the bank receipt.

Then you have to go (I went without appointment) to the migration office with the following documents:

Your resident permit (forma migratoria)
Your passport
The form "permiso a extranjeros residentes..."
The bank receipt with its photocopy
The description of your future job / business

I guess that is all. They will keep your resident permit during the process (a week) so make sure you don't have to travel during that time, they won't let you leave the country without it. They will give you back your passport. You should receive an email a week later too see if the request was approved and, if so, that you can go to the migration office in order to get a new formato migratorio.

I hope that will help. If anything goes wrong in my process, I'll give you an update next week.

Good luck for all,
Timothée

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4