Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

Silence820

Feb 9, 2016, 11:54 AM

Post #1 of 7 (6470 views)

Shortcut

~~~~> Mexican Alcohol

Can't Post | Private Reply
I need to bring some Mexican alcohol back to the states. what are the names of some liquors that are only found here in México?
~~The Right Path, Is Your Own Path~~

YucaLandia

Feb 9, 2016, 1:41 PM

Post #2 of 7 (6458 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Silence820] ~~~~> Mexican Alcohol

Xtabentún ... from Yucatán's special Melipona bee honey + anise.

some of the special smoky mezcals ... ??

-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

AlanMexicali

Feb 9, 2016, 2:13 PM

Post #3 of 7 (6452 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] ~~~~> Mexican Alcohol

In Reply To
Xtabentún ... .

some of the special smoky mezcals ... ??

Sinaloa´s smoky tequilas are called "vino puro" and is moonshine.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Feb 9, 2016, 2:16 PM)

Maesonna

Feb 14, 2016, 8:00 PM

Post #4 of 7 (6312 views)

Shortcut

Craft mezcals, that you get in some little village and they sell you 2.5 litres in a bottle that is a former family-sized soda pop bottle with the label removed.

chinagringo

Feb 15, 2016, 5:10 AM

Post #5 of 7 (6295 views)

Shortcut

Before diving into your mission - I might suggest you check with wherever your port of entry will be. While the Feds state each person may return to the US with 1 liter duty free but each State has its own set of regs and you may be able to return with more either without charge or by paying a nominal tax/fee. Having returned to the US with both tequilas and mezcals (chosen because the brands are not exported) - I think I would be real hesitant to attempt entry with a 2.5l bottle of "Mexican moonshine".
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Silence820

Feb 15, 2016, 10:08 AM

Post #6 of 7 (6263 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] ~~~~> Mexican Alcohol

I will be flying out of mexico city. is there anyway to find a list of alcohol's not exported to the u.s.?
~~The Right Path, Is Your Own Path~~

chinagringo

Feb 15, 2016, 6:06 PM

Post #7 of 7 (6224 views)

Shortcut

To my knowledge, there isn't a definitive listing of tequilas or mezcals that are not exported but I could be wrong. Since we have been building a collection of primo tequilas in attractive "collector bottles" for a number of years and have never opened any of them - just prior to each Mexico trip, I visit our Total Wine & Spirits store and one other large liquor store to see & memorize the current selections. I also subscribe to a couple of tequila newsletters and I research brands & selections from various distilleries to check out what I want to look for each trip. We are working out way towards our first hundred bottles in the collection and just returned from Mexico City with two new brands.

I see that you are leaving from Mexico City and would suggest if you have time a visit to the Tequila y Mezcal Museo located on Plaza Garibaldi. Their shop has a great selection of very different tequilas and mezcals and we found the prices to be very fair.

When we both retire and relocate to Colorado, a group of our friends will get the opportunity to try out some exceptional tequilas and learn the real difference between Gringo Tequila and the very best that isn't being exported from Mexico!

As far as your original question goes, it makes little difference where your departure point is and it is more about your entry point into the US. For example, we just flew Mexico City - San Antonio. Since I knew Texas has a liberal policy of collecting minimal fees on alcohol, I contacted their Liquor Control prior to a previous trip. I received an email response from a "jefe" in their Liquor Control telling me that they didn't have anyone stationed at the San Antonio International Airport and that we could bring in all we wanted without any fees. But that was last September and I wouldn't make the assumption that the situation hadn't changed.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4