Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

caters

Feb 4, 2016, 12:03 PM

Post #1 of 4 (10305 views)

Shortcut

Beginner cook wondering about hot peppers

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am a beginner in cooking. I have baked pizza and fried eggs before as well as made myself grilled cheese with a grilled cheese maker and quesadillas with something similar but more rounded on the inside. I have also chopped bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, potatoes(all of which I have diced), and carrots all without cutting myself or anyone else. I have even cut the tip off of garlic cloves.

I live in Ohio so I am thousands of miles away from Mexico. I do however love mexican food. In fact I remember me and my family having a mexican feast once. I have helped my momma bake tamale pie by adding the layers and checking on it.

1 thing that my momma has told me to do is to use 3 jalapenos to get the same amount of heat as 1 habenero but with more fruity flavor. My momma like jalapenos better so that might be part of why she suggested that particular substitution ratio.

But is it possible to get the same amount of heat as a habenero using jalapenos?

And if so how would I know when it is that hot since I have never had a habenero before, raw or cooked?

esperanza

Feb 11, 2016, 8:12 AM

Post #2 of 4 (10261 views)

Shortcut

Re: [caters] Beginner cook wondering about hot peppers

You are doing great so far! Congratulations on still having all your fingers.

Here's the deal: if you substitute three jalapeños for one habanero, you will have the heat and flavor of three jalapeños, but nothing like the heat or flavor of a single habanero. Most chiles are not interchangeable. Each one has a particular heat and flavor profile that makes a dish what it is, and if you substitute one for another, your dish won't taste the way it should.

Be really careful with habaneros, if you find them. They are hotter than you can even imagine and the heat can stay on your fingers after you use them. Then if you rub your eyes or other sensitive parts of your body...big ouch. BIG ouch.

A couple of things: the jalapeños in the USA have been dumbed down to a much lower heat than those you find in Mexico. And habaneros are completely different and infinitely hotter than even the jalapeños in Mexico.

If you take a look at my website (link below), you'll see a little search window on the top right-hand side. Type in 'fresh chiles' and you'll see an article about some of those. Then type in 'dried chiles' and you'll see an article about some of those.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

cbviajero

Feb 11, 2016, 9:40 AM

Post #3 of 4 (10251 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Beginner cook wondering about hot peppers

In Reply To

Be really careful with habaneros, if you find them. They are hotter than you can even imagine and the heat can stay on your fingers after you use them. Then if you rub your eyes or other sensitive parts of your body...big ouch. BIG ouch.

You've got that right!
I'm curious about why grilled jalapeños are more picosos than the raw ones are.

johnhenry5990

Feb 27, 2017, 8:58 AM

Post #4 of 4 (8954 views)

Shortcut

Re: [caters] Beginner cook wondering about hot peppers

me too, thanks for sharing

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4