Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Mexicanbill

Feb 3, 2016, 2:40 PM

Post #1 of 15 (10642 views)

Shortcut

180 visitors visa

Can't Post | Private Reply
When your 180 days are up is there a way to get it extended for another 15 days. The cost of a flight back to the states is much cheaper if we were to leave 15 days late but we will be back in about three weeks and we don't want to mess up our reentry.
Chef William aka MexicanBill

La Isla

Feb 3, 2016, 3:59 PM

Post #2 of 15 (10625 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mexicanbill] 180 visitors visa

I recall a couple of times when I was able to extend my tourist card by a week or so by going to INM in Mexico City (where I was living) and requesting an extension. There is a fee levied, but it's not much.

RickS

Feb 3, 2016, 4:15 PM

Post #3 of 15 (10623 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] 180 visitors visa

Wow, La Isla, I've never heard of anyone achieving that. Not doubting, just amazed. Did you have really good excuses both times or just tell them you weren't ready to leave?

La Isla

Feb 3, 2016, 4:28 PM

Post #4 of 15 (10620 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] 180 visitors visa

In Reply To
Wow, La Isla, I've never heard of anyone achieving that. Not doubting, just amazed. Did you have really good excuses both times or just tell them you weren't ready to leave?

Keep in mind that this happened in Mexico City. There is a special line at the INM office where you can go to have your tourist vida extended for a few days. I just gave them a reason, nothing earth-shaking, and I got an extension. Once it was only for a few days, and I didn't even have to pay a fee. The last time this happened was several years ago, so maybe the rules have changed.

RickS

Feb 3, 2016, 4:42 PM

Post #5 of 15 (10615 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] 180 visitors visa

I doubt the rules have changed (I've never heard of an extension 'just because').... more likely it is only in DF.

I think Chef William is SOL.

(This post was edited by RickS on Feb 3, 2016, 4:45 PM)

playaboy

Feb 3, 2016, 6:03 PM

Post #6 of 15 (10603 views)

Shortcut

Just give it to the airline agent when you go for your boarding pass. Chances are the agent will not notice the date being late and just attach it to the boarding pass.

If caught, just play the dumb tourist, say your so very sorry, and pay the fine.

Aaron+

Feb 5, 2016, 9:33 AM

Post #7 of 15 (10502 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] 180 visitors visa

Please disreagard the play "dumb tourist!" advice. 'Fess up to INM and, for that matter, see if you can get an extentiojn (not sure that would fly where I live). As for the ticket agent not noticing, and the subsequent INM officer as well being blind, those I have met have been attentive.

playaboy

Feb 6, 2016, 5:36 AM

Post #8 of 15 (10446 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] 180 visitors visa

In Reply To
Please disreagard the play "dumb tourist!" advice. 'Fess up to INM and, for that matter, see if you can get an extentiojn (not sure that would fly where I live). As for the ticket agent not noticing, and the subsequent INM officer as well being blind, those I have met have been attentive.

My advise was bad. You should listen to Aaron. Fess up to INM

Go to INM, tell them that the airline tickets are much cheaper in a couple of weeks. Tell them you will be back in less than a month and definitely tell them you are living in Mexico full time on a tourist permit.

I am sure they will do everything in their power to accommodate you. The INM officer will probably put a note in the countries computer data base telling all other INM agants to make a special exception for you because you came to them with your problem. Remember that when dealing with Mexican government officials honesty is the best policy.

NOT

Aarons advice will get you exactly what you don't want but go ahead and follow it anyway.

rvgringo

Feb 6, 2016, 9:27 AM

Post #9 of 15 (10428 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
When your 180 days are up is there a way to get it extended for another 15 days. The cost of a flight back to the states is much cheaper if we were to leave 15 days late but we will be back in about three weeks and we don't want to mess up our reentry.

No; unless you are severely injured, in hospital and cannot be moved.

Mexicanbill

Feb 7, 2016, 4:22 AM

Post #10 of 15 (10361 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] 180 visitors visa

Thanks Everyone for all your information. Acting on your advice I decided the best option was to re-book the flight to match up to the 180 day departure date and pay the difference. When I called the airlines (Southwest) and started the re-booking process the agent found that someone had cancelled on the date we needed. She re-booked the flight and it actually resulted in a $21 refund from the flights booked in Oct. All you help is appreciated.

Mexicanbill

Feb 7, 2016, 4:25 AM

Post #11 of 15 (10358 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] 180 visitors visa

Actually all the advice was good, because by putting it all together I decided that the best thing was to re-book the flight.

Mexicanbill

Feb 7, 2016, 4:28 AM

Post #12 of 15 (10356 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] 180 visitors visa

It does sound that way Rick. Another lesson learned the hard way. Good thing I have a thick head.

hunteradvisor

Feb 7, 2016, 8:55 AM

Post #13 of 15 (10333 views)

Shortcut

We have had caretakers go the the airport immigration in Puerto Vallarta and extend their 180 day visa.
Isabel
www.RanchoSolyMar.com

playaboy

Feb 7, 2016, 10:54 AM

Post #14 of 15 (10318 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hunteradvisor] 180 visitors visa

Was it extended or did the INM officer issue a new FMM? How long was the "extension? How much did they charge?

The going rate for a new FMM tourista at the Belize border without exiting MX is 2500 pesos.

(This post was edited by playaboy on Feb 7, 2016, 11:01 AM)

Mexicanbill

Feb 7, 2016, 1:48 PM

Post #15 of 15 (10301 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hunteradvisor] 180 visitors visa

Thank you. I think we are ok. My wife will be one day late. We talked to Southwest and they said that all they are interested in is our passport, that they did not collect visa's. I take this to mean that we will be turning ours in at the immigration office at the PV airport. We will check with them this week and post the results of the visit.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4